Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seneca VHF-1 and 6 N 2 meter AM to be resurrected!  (Read 3725 times)
WA4BWO

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »

Cheesy
I am posting about the Heathkit Seneca VHF-1 I just purchased.
I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO REFURBISHING IT.  Mine will be sitting along side a Hammarlund HQ 140X with 6 and 2 meter converters.
Let's resurrect 2 and 6 meter AM fellas. Central Florida is calling CQ on 50.147 and 144.247  AM starting July 1st, 2013. At least that's my goal date and possible qso date with N4JOY (hint hint) and his Gonset or his lunchbox.

We can even start a net.... Maybe Monday nights starting July 1st at 7pm on 6 and Tuesday morning, July 2nd, 10 am on 2 on the above frequencies.
I'll be there....how bout you all?

Comments and suggestions... Wink
WA4BWO
Dave
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

I've got a Seneca, I remember I had to have it. Used it in Bladensburg, MD for a few years, must have been early 70's, and now it's on the rack. I used it with a small loop antenna. I've got to many other things going on right now, but it probably still works. Kind of reminds me of the Apache, I have one of those too with the SSB adapter, right after the R-390A's, the HX-50, S-38E....and then the wife's garden since it's spring.

Dave
N3DT
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

You said: "Let's resurrect 2 and 6 meter AM fellas" During band openings you'll generally find lots of 6 meter AM operating up around 50.4 MHz. And, there are listed a number of 6 meter AM nets around the country. See: http://www.amwindow.org/nets/netfreq.htm There's even a few 2 meter frequencies listed. Antenna polarization generally is horizontal. A rotary 3 element or more beam, 30 feet high and above, and some power, can make you a player. With a Gonset Communicator or a Lunchbox (or similar rig) and a mounted vertical on the box, you can generally only wish for contacts unless you have locals who have an interest or desire.

Pete, wa2cwa
WA4BWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »

thanks for the info Pete. I'll be listening! Smiley
WA4BWO
Dave
N4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »

Hi, Dave.

My Gonset "Gooney Bird" is almost completed.  We'll be ready for a 2 meter AM QSO sometime soon.  I didn't forget--work and family obligation kept me busy as you know.  I have yet to purchase a beam but I am considering a 4 element Cushcraft (horizontal).  The Heathkit Seneca is a slick looking rig. 

I'll keep you apprised!

Chris, N4JOY
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »

I used one for years back in the late 60's and early 70's with the Mohawk and XC6 converter. Worked great and never gave me a problem. Should be a super fun project.
K8KQD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

Dave, I lost my VHF-1 many years ago. Maybe you bought it.

I built it in 1960 and was using a beautiful Gonset Communicator III. What fun it was.

Your S-Line station is a model station from those days. It's great that you're using it today.

Lorne, K8KQD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: