Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garage-Sale Special PC  (Read 10597 times)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »

hi

I too used an older IBM 600E for psk at home and club field day,
sure you can use a newer box but the contacts will still come
in loud and clear.

IBM has lots of off lease laptops, desk and monitors,
business class not consumer grade.

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/content/home/store_IBMPublicUSA/en_US/laptops.html

73 james
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 04:17:01 AM »

I know you think I am being narrow minded...
I just don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape over how other people spend their money... especially when it is such an insignificant amount to begin with. Can't you just let the guy be happy with his purchase?
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 05:35:17 AM »

Have fun with it. Buy in was cheap enough. Finding drivers for some of the old boxs can somtimes be a challenge but hey no pain no gain. I still have an old p100 running 96 megs of ram, win 95.   Comes in real handy when I need to program old moto's.
Enjoy the hobby
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

I don't think this machine was a bad deal at all.  It's surprising what you can do with an older machine, especially if you put an efficient operating system like Linux on it.  (Goodness, my file server/mail server in the basement is a pretty old Pentium III system but it's an industrial-quality server machine that probably has another decade left in it.)

As for the disk issue, new-old-stock IDE drives are fine - it's runtime that kills hard disks - and you can buy a $10 SATA controller and run modern SATA disks if you prefer.  You could also get an IDE-to-CF adapter and run CF cards as your disk - CF cards are cheap.  Use the "noatime" option in Linux to avoid unnecessary write cycles and you'll get years out of them, and they're silent.

A system like this - if it has a parallel port, which it likely does - would make a great IRLP node.  Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

I just don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape over how other people spend their money... especially when it is such an insignificant amount to begin with. Can't you just let the guy be happy with his purchase?

Not bent out of shape just hate to see people was money and effort on trash. Computer technology has come so far since one gig ahlon days it is not even funny. Given for very little more you can get a used system about half that age that supports modern parts and is way faster it is kinda silly. My ham PC is a old Laptop that daughter started college with nearly 7 years ago. I updated with new faster HD max ram and a faster CPU. Still slow by today's standards is is fast enough to play a video stream smoothly with good quality too and easily handles modern programs too and virus software too. Hibernates and sleeps will too. You give up a lot for the appearance of saving a few bucks up front.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K8OEX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »

I would say go ahead with the old computer but don't spend any more money (or at least very little) on it. Try to find some PC100 memory for free, it is too expensive to buy new...about $25 for a 256 Mb stick-the same as for 1 gb of modern memory. Remember that you can get a dual core CPU, 2 gb memory and 64 bit Win 7 refurbished computer for about $125 (even then I would recommend another 2 gb of memory)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »

This old PC isn't going to be my primary machine. I have a new 4-core Toshiba laptop and a big desktop machine too. I was just wondering what software for HF digital would work on it. I was thinking about making it a dedicated MMTTY machine if it would run the software. I figure it was worth 6 bucks for that. I could always put Linux on it and use it for an IRC server lol.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »

Newegg has tons of IDE drives.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »

Newegg has tons of IDE drives.

Not exactly tons and none of them are new and they only have them from time to time and the one they have are too big for that old motherboard to properly use too. See most have forgot about having to set HD size in BIOS and then it auto detecting but then they were limited to 120 gig or less too. IDE size limits went away well after that Athlon was built. Later is 2005 SATA was born. IDE is dead like AGP. 

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »

This old PC isn't going to be my primary machine. I have a new 4-core Toshiba laptop and a big desktop machine too. I was just wondering what software for HF digital would work on it. I was thinking about making it a dedicated MMTTY machine if it would run the software. I figure it was worth 6 bucks for that. I could always put Linux on it and use it for an IRC server lol.

My old Pentium3 1G processor with half a gig of RAM and XP laptop still does great in the shack.  It was a neighbor's throw-away and actually is quite useful in the shack.  I plunked a new hard drive in it and it's been great.  No problems at all running digipan or mmtty, and I keep VE7CC running on it all day.  The only problem with mmtty you may have is with running some of the other profiles, like the AA6YQ profile.  Those can be processor hogs.  Should breeze right along with the standard profile though.  You could also use N1MM or Writelog on it and run mmtty and 2-tone together to give you multiple decoders.

For JT65 I use the i7 with 32G RAM.  That goes a little quicker.  Smiley
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 05:21:02 AM »

Weren't you over in the sdr forum bragging about your super duper i7 machine and telling people an i3 was not good enough?
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »

Why don't "boat anchor" computers get the same respect that "boat anchor" rigs get?  Amateurs wax eloquent about how the glow of tubes in vintage rigs excite them but no respect for the vintage computers?  Its all a matter of what a particular person likes and what they want to experiment with.  De gustibus non est disputandum.     Wink
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »

Weren't you over in the sdr forum bragging about your super duper i7 machine and telling people an i3 was not good enough?

Not me, someone else

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Why don't "boat anchor" computers get the same respect that "boat anchor" rigs get?  Amateurs wax eloquent about how the glow of tubes in vintage rigs excite them but no respect for the vintage computers?  Its all a matter of what a particular person likes and what they want to experiment with.  De gustibus non est disputandum.     Wink

The reason is while radio signals have not changed computers have. Operating systems and software has evolved in last 15 years and memory and CPU requirements have increased a lot. HD technology has changed a lot and is faster and more reliable too.  Even since XP was released 13 years ago it has grown very fat with updates and service packs and will not run well on very old hardware if at all. Even software has grown fatter too. The system that this post started with would make a good DOS or Linux terminal but I would not waste time trying to use it with XP.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

Linux ignores the BIOS after it bootstraps. This is why you'll generally see a /boot volume at the front of the disk that BIOS does cover. Windows requires the BIOS to handle the geometry all the time. Once booted in Linux from that tiny boot partition, you can support any partition size that the address bus can signal. Often this is much larger than the BIOS limitations.

Your $6 computer will likely run Linux much better than any version of Windows.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: