Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First ever mobile CW contact  (Read 2229 times)
AA4N

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »

Welll, I had to travel across the state for a meeting today.  Was reading the mail 20 meters when I heard a rather shaky CQ.  Traffic was light on I-40, so I answered.  75 mph with a j-38 on the console...  It doesn't get any better than this  Smiley.  Turns out I didn't have any trouble at all with the whole CW while driving thing.  Different parts of the brain I guess.

Turns out that the other guy was a high school student doing his first ever CW qso!  K5LBJ.  Very cool.  He did a nice job.   Chattted for several minutes.  I have to say, I think Matt did a better job than I did on my first  Smiley.  Although, I think the /M in my call gave him a hard time

I was still smiling after the meeting with the corporate guys.  I'm liking this whole HF mobile thing!

Cheers,  mike

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »

I`ve worked cw from the car,but never while driving. That would be difficult for me with a manual transmission! Of course,on an interstate,already in final gear wouldn`t matter unless I had to stop. That`s great having the J-38 on your dash. I`m sure it gets some interesting stares!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:12:52 AM »

Wow--your first mobile CW QSO, and the young fella's first-ever CW QSO!  I'm guessing there were big grins on both ends of the contact!
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »

I"ve been doing mobile CW for at least 25 years, but NEVER "read the mail" while driving. Is that a new fad for new hams or what???
I have heard other hams state they were reading the mail on SSB HF and 2 meters, but never understood exactly what they were doing.
Been a CW op since 1963, and I hear statements like this more and more from new hams....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: