Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nonsense reviews  (Read 16092 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »

The review by WA8MAX of the Kenwood TS-990s is ONE line and not even a real review.  I hope the eHam review manager will consider removing it.

I see many of these types of reviews on eHam where the reviewer does not even own the radio and cannot give a real reason why they have rated it they way they did.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

I can see why you'd be less than pleased with a review like that.  But my guess is that the moderators have all they can handle even WITHOUT having to decide who is competent to review what piece of gear.  And even if the moderators DID decide they could read all the reviews and delete any they don't feel are worth propagating, then you'd have people angry that their reviews were deleted, and probably eager to discuss that with the moderators.

I think the best way to grade the reviews is for each of us to decide how much weight to give to any particular review, the way we've been doing since before the web
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »

'RD is almost exactly right.  We do give all the reviews a "review" but unless they break the rules on the reviews main page, they stay.
If we deviate from that we get to hear about it.

So take them for what they are.

Mike N2MG
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »

I would agree generally, but this one line "review" by WA8MAX can hardly be called a proper review:

"Way over rated-not as good as my FT9000/FT1000D."

This is one of the most ridiculous reviews I have ever seen posted to eHam.  Come on, you've got to have some kind of minimal standards?

P.S.  I don't have a Kenwood TS-990s or any Kenwood equipment and I am unlikely to purchase a TS-990s in the immediate future, but to let an idiot nonsense review like this stand is a terrible dis-service to those who still take eHam reviews somewhat seriously.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:46:57 PM by SWL2002 » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »

Most internet polling risks being tainted by the crackpot factor....... As a general rule I throw out the most positive and most negative reviews on the assumption the middle of the curve is probably nearest to reality.

It's also a safe bet you can discount any interview that begins with: " The XXXXXXXX I won on eBay came in yesterday and......... "

Anyone who thinks they won anything on eBay shouldn't be doing a review, especially when its based on their first impression. The "winner" of any auction is the bidder with the most inflated opinion of what the goods are worth which does not make them smarter than the bidders who knew better.   Grin

Never change a password on a Friday                
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

How about all of the 0 rating for the Kenwood TS2000 by people who never owned one, just based their reviews on its appearance (I happen to like the way it looks).

John AF5CC
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »

How about all of the 0 rating for the Kenwood TS2000 by people who never owned one, just based their reviews on its appearance

John, you're sure right about that.  Same thing with those reviews that start "everything i hear about the Yaewood TG-4440 meens it is the transcever of the year and if i ever get a radeo other than my HT tha'tll be the radeo i buy!"

But once again, YOU made a judgement about how much weight to give to those "reviews," based on your own understanding of the reviewers' ability to provide a useful and objective summary.  And I do the same thing, as I read them.  And you and I might well have DIFFERENT estimates of how much weight to give to each individual review.  But we can make those decisions for ourselves, don't you think?  No need to try to make the moderators decide FOR us, right? 

73!   Ken
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »

How about all of the 0 rating for the Kenwood TS2000 by people who never owned one, just based their reviews on its appearance

John, you're sure right about that.  Same thing with those reviews that start "everything i hear about the Yaewood TG-4440 meens it is the transcever of the year and if i ever get a radeo other than my HT tha'tll be the radeo i buy!"

But once again, YOU made a judgement about how much weight to give to those "reviews," based on your own understanding of the reviewers' ability to provide a useful and objective summary.  And I do the same thing, as I read them.  And you and I might well have DIFFERENT estimates of how much weight to give to each individual review.  But we can make those decisions for ourselves, don't you think?  No need to try to make the moderators decide FOR us, right? 

73!   Ken

All true, but there should be some minimum standards for what qualifies as a review.  I have seen reviews (and reported) on eHam where the manufacturer has reviewed his own product.  It seems the standards are very low and inconsistent.

NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »

I have seen reviews (and reported) on eHam where the manufacturer has reviewed his own product.  It seems the standards are very low and inconsistent.

Manufacturers reviewing their own products is expressly addressed in the product review policies and notes as not acceptable.

Unfortunately too many do not read or they ignore review policies.   

So - there are instances were a manufacturer submits a review of their own stuff - but those reviews are removed if they are detected.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
VE6BGM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

Or people not doing a review but posting a question about the operation of the radio or some other factor that has nothing to do with a review.  There are forums for these types of questions, but I guess people don't know the difference between a question forum and a review.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

I have seen reviews (and reported) on eHam where the manufacturer has reviewed his own product.  It seems the standards are very low and inconsistent.

Manufacturers reviewing their own products is expressly addressed in the product review policies and notes as not acceptable.

Unfortunately too many do not read or they ignore review policies.   

So - there are instances were a manufacturer submits a review of their own stuff - but those reviews are removed if they are detected.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager

What if a manufacturer was honest and posted a review that said "Don't buy this item because it's a piece of crap?".  Hey, it could happen!   Grin
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Most of the reviews here and elsewhere aren't worth a lot.  It's human nature to have nothing but good to say about a rig you just popped $7,000 for.  On those rare occasions when I'm looking for opinions on a purchase, I read only the negative reviews here and look for common threads.  If you find none, that doesn't mean there are no major flaws with the unit.  But, if you find multiple people complaining about the same thing(s), there's likely some substance to the complaints.  Then the question becomes: Will that problem affect me given my operating habits?  You may not care about problems with CW keying if you never operate CW.

73, K8AC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »

I would agree generally, but this one line "review" by WA8MAX can hardly be called a proper review:

"Way over rated-not as good as my FT9000/FT1000D."

This is one of the most ridiculous reviews I have ever seen posted to eHam.  Come on, you've got to have some kind of minimal standards?

P.S.  I don't have a Kenwood TS-990s or any Kenwood equipment and I am unlikely to purchase a TS-990s in the immediate future, but to let an idiot nonsense review like this stand is a terrible dis-service to those who still take eHam reviews somewhat seriously.

That is one I do not even bother looking at. I think you have fans of each brand that routinely offer up bad reviews of other radios.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 05:33:56 AM »

Just thought of something, and you do have an out. The reviews ask if you are an owner, like 0-3 months. If the posts suggests that you are not an owner, or that you tried it, then you should not be able to review it.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »

Minimum standards for reviews? 

C'mon, this is a hobby and anyone can submit a review even a person who "saw one" of the devices in question for 5 minutes and didn't like it for a reason, good, bad or irrelevant. 

Do you ever read Yelp restaurant reviews?  Even they need to be taken with a grain of salt. 

The only time I take Eham reviews on radios seriously is after the device has 50-100 reviews and even then
I scan them for the low ratings and read each to find out why. 

Eham is providing a free service, they are NOT Consumer Reports or J.D. Powers so take it FWIW and move on.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: