Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The BIG announcement?  (Read 5503 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »

OK.... for you guys there at Visalia, WHAT is the big announcement going to be?  Cant you tell us by now? There MUST be tons of rumors floating around and probably even a legit slip of the tongue by now. Hmmmmm Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »

I'm at a lunch break, and no - no rumors or anything. I did have a really great discussion about Kingman Reef with Arne - the Chairman of the DXAC.

My presentation went very well, and I met Paul, N6PSE in person which I was looking forward to.

All I can say is - DX-ers sure are really nice people. "Like minds" and all that.

I think the 13 year old rumor about Kingman Reef being deleted will finally be dashed - which is great - it will no longer be in limbo status - and maybe someone will actually bother to activate it. I really hope the ARRL makes a clear statement about Kingman Reef soon. That is so long overdue. This rumor has ruined 4 possible activations in the last 13 years - so - maybe now the gates will be opened [?]. A Kingman Reef activation (for me) would be soooooooo schweet.

I also had really nice conversations with Dean, N6BV, and Tom, N6BT. Wow - Tom has some really cool new antennas in the pipeline. I had special hats made for Dean and I that say "TEAM HFTA" and our callsigns underneath that. Dean loves his hat.

And its only lunch and before the actual "crush" of people get here. 800 are registered!

I will be blogging and posting pictures soon.

Top Band Dinner tonight, and I expect Paul to make his announcement tomorrow at the DX Forum that he is leading. Bob, KK6EK will be unveiling his new book on DXA, and there is so much more.

Looking forward to meeting Gene - of ZL9HR fame.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »

I also cornered Paul at the registration booth but couldn't get him to talk. I was hoping he would be at the evening "Attitude Adjustment" but I didn't see him. You know, bring him a few Beers, loosen up the lips, etc. Smiley However I did have a nice chat with Rich and some of the guys from ZL9HR so that was fun. Today I attended the DX academy and learned some tips for working the new ones. It was great playing with all the toys at the exhibits. All the big boys are here, Yaesu, Kenwood (with their new TS-990S), Icom, Elecraft, Alpha, SteppIR, Force 12, etc., etc.

Anyway I'm sure that as soon as Paul announces the big news tomorrow one of us will be posting it as it happens so stay tuned around 10 - 11AM Pacific.

John K7KB
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

I look forward to attending the sessions tomorrow to learn the news... in the mean time here is the new Elecraft K3/0 Mini

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/540563_10151448441372739_308540795_n.jpg

Also for any of you not here, please work N6V, the special event station, here is a pic of the antenna in use

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/923415_10151448439372739_443058616_n.jpg

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:08:10 AM »

The Top Band Dinner was excellent. Here's a humbling statistic - there were 3 guys who have more entities on 160M alone than I have for all of DXCC and Honor Roll. That just blows me away. I dropped to my knees in "Wayne's World" style and started yelling "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy". I can only dream about having their 8 element "circle" arrays. Awesome.

Don, N1DG announced a DX-pedition to C9 - with special emphasis on 160M. I won a Heil Pro Set 3 - and it looks like a very nice set of headphones.

I met Glen, KE4KY, Gene K5GS and Les, W2LK all of ZL9HR fame - great guys, and Les's presentation was really fantastic. I will go to Gene's Campbell Island presentation today. It was great to meet John, K7KB and we had a nice chat. Finally meeting people in person is the best part of this convention by far.

I ran into Carl, AI6V - whom I had purchased all of that aluminum from last summer to make my yagi's from. I had sent a picture of the finished stack, and he and his wife Sue, AI6YL laughed at what became of that pile.

Big fun. Go to your regional DX Conference - these are soooo much fun.

So - in 4 hours we will all know what the Intrepid Team will be up to -  Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:24:18 AM by KY6R » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »

Any word yet?Huh

V
KA3NRX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

Woah, nellie.....ask and yee shall receive!!!!.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked....
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »

Hrmm. Hope it works out, but in the current climate??

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

North Korea is famous for deception.  What appears on the outside may not be a good indicator of what goes on on the inside.  Just take Rodman as an example.  If they really hate Americans why would they invite an American and then made it a huge deal in the news?

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

Huh

Gene AF3Y
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Double  Huh
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »

North Korea is famous for deception.  What appears on the outside may not be a good indicator of what goes on on the inside.  Just take Rodman as an example.  If they really hate Americans why would they invite an American and then made it a huge deal in the news?

Jonathan W6GX

So, the war, and the past 60 years, where they have starved millions to death so most of the country's scarce resources could be diverted to the military, have all been a big deception?  You are saying they like Americans because their nutty leader danced with Dennis Rodman?

Here is a story about North Korea training 11 year old kids to kill Americans.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22025698/pre-teen-north-koreans-trained-as-soldiers

You are free to believe what you desire, but what does North Korea have to do before you take them seriously?

There were people who claimed the same thing about the Soviet Union but most Russians will now tell you the Soviet Union really was an Evil Empire.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:37:39 PM by NU1O » Logged
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »

I hope it happens but what sort of timeline are we talking, hardly going to be this year is it,

Trevor
EI2GLB
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:37 AM »

It's a bit of a "non-announcement" really. No time frame given. It has been stated that ALL the Most Wanted entities have groups working on activating them.
However, it is good to know that a very capable group as the Intrepid Team are working on it. We can be sure of a first class activation, and give all serious DXers a good chance to work them.
Any speculation on when it will happen is a bit pointless. As life goes, it will happen when the time is right.
I hope I live long enough!
Luke VK3HJ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »

North Korea is famous for deception.  What appears on the outside may not be a good indicator of what goes on on the inside.  Just take Rodman as an example.  If they really hate Americans why would they invite an American and then made it a huge deal in the news?

Jonathan W6GX

So, the war, and the past 60 years, where they have starved millions to death so most of the country's scarce resources could be diverted to the military, have all been a big deception?  You are saying they like Americans because their nutty leader danced with Dennis Rodman?

Here is a story about North Korea training 11 year old kids to kill Americans.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22025698/pre-teen-north-koreans-trained-as-soldiers

You are free to believe what you desire, but what does North Korea have to do before you take them seriously?

There were people who claimed the same thing about the Soviet Union but most Russians will now tell you the Soviet Union really was an Evil Empire.

Chris/NU1O

Chris,

All I'm saying is that other things (i.e. everyday life, tourism, business, etc.) may not seem as bad as the military tension that is going on right now.  I don't dispute the fact that N.K. is evil and inhumane.

Sounds like you would not work N.K. if a bribe is necessary to bring it on the air?  I hope I'm wrong because I think a large bribe is most certainly necessary.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: