Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWL with AM SYNC mode on Flex 6700 (for example)  (Read 5524 times)
K3TIM

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:38 PM »

I am curious how the Flex 6700 performs on the SW bands for AM using Sync mode.  Can one choose DSB / USB / LSB and passband tuning?  Is the audio quality good (as expected for SW) and lock maintained.

Thanks for any insight.

Best

k3Tim
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »

I am curious how the Flex 6700 performs on the SW bands for AM using Sync mode.  Can one choose DSB / USB / LSB and passband tuning?  Is the audio quality good (as expected for SW) and lock maintained.

Thanks for any insight.

Best

k3Tim

I am not sure the 6000 series has synchronous AM mode yet.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

Thanks for any insight.

Tim
I believe the AM sync mode is a function of the software. If it is not in the SmartSDr software now do not buy a Flex radio expecting it will be there any time soon. Flexradio is known for selling promises that do not always come to their software.

If the AM sync mode is important for you, find software that supports it and then find what hardware the software supports. For instance I have a QS1R sdr and I use HDSDR software with it. HDSDR supports many different SDR's. The software has the ECSS mode (Exalted Carrier). I found this mode to be extremely useful when copying AM. It locks on the the signal and provides very good copy on marginal AM signals.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:17:20 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »

Flex calls it SAM.
See page 66 of the SmartSDR for Windows Software User’s Guide, http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/
There's some SAM discussion on the Flex Community site:
Go here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio
Put SAM in the FIND box

Pete
K3TIM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:55:30 AM »

Thanks very much Pete.

73'

Tim
K3TIM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »

From reading to manuals etc seems the firmware does a good job of AM sync with selectable sideband.

The 6500 looks like a solid radio and will likely end up in the shack someday.

Thanks again.

Tim
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »

SAM does perform very well on short wave stations. Good choice on the radio.

Pete, wa2cwa

K3TIM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 04:28:51 AM »

Follow Up:

I purchased the 6500 and have used it going on two months now.  It is a very good radio, best I have ever used (coming from Ten Tec gear).  The SAM on SW bands works very well and being able to `see' the stations bandwidth and overlap one can change the upper or lower BPF skirt and remove interference.  For example is a station is broadcasting at 20kc wide and the lower SB from the carrier has a station interfering due to them being at 5kc spacing you can change the filter on the low side to cut the overlap out.  Keeping some bandpass in lower and upper SBs seems to help the audio.

Speaking of audio, output from a WE-300B mono-block amp to hi-fi speaker is room filling.  Superb audio.

For ham use it had exceeded my expectations. 
CW: using a bug, it's QSK is smooth and key response seems 'instant'. 
RTTY:  Arrl RR contest -- the 6500 performed flawlessly; using the display one could hunt and pounce.  Stations were right on top of each other but between the radios filters and FLDIGI performance, copy was clear.

My thanks to Pete for your positive / helpful responses on the original posting.

Regards All,

_..--
 TiM
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »

ISB would be a nice option too.
A DbuV S-meter scale would also be nice for shortwave listening.

K3TIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »

ISB would be a nice option too.
A DbuV S-meter scale would also be nice for shortwave listening.

Hi Z.

If one sets the filter to use only one side band is that considered ISB?
Are there s/w stations that send separate audio streams on the upper / lower SB?

I wonder if one could open two slices on same frequency and set one for upper SB and the other for lower SB. In that case one could then set the audio controls to so that left and right audio came from the separate sidebands.
A Flex 6700 should be able to do this easily.

DRM: I was looking into this but it seems there are very few stations xmitting this and the on-air times are very limited.

Thanks for your expertise...

Best,
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: