Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Movie Featuring Ham Radio?  (Read 5850 times)
KK4APV

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

I did a search of threads on this topic here, and the last one I could find was more than two years ago, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

It was a movie that first got me thinking about Ham Radio, and that movie  was "Testament" with Jane Alexander and William Devane (1983).

The character Henry Abhart was the quiet hero of the movie, because he had a ham radio and emergency power.

In the movie, a nuclear explosion had leveled San Francisco, and the movie was centered on a tiny (fictional) town of Hamlin, CA. Henry Abhart was able to turn on his radio and contact other radio operators in other parts of the country and the world. It was because of Henry that Hamlin was NOT cut off from the rest of the world.

It was a *powerful* movie and a powerful scene, and it was that scene that inspired me to get into ham radio (and I just became an "extra"!).

"Frequency" and "Contact" are frequently mentioned as good movies that feature ham radio but there must be others.

What are they?  Smiley

http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/2011/02/26/its-official-im-now-a-ham/

Rose
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »

Watch the last 15 mins or so of the film Independence Day (1996, with Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, et al).

What is used to "save the world" from the alien invaders who wish to destroy the planet?
PA3GOS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »

"Hamlin"... Great name for a fictional town in such a movie.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

I like the two foot long straight key...
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »

I have two, "Frequency" and "Contact".

73s

K2OWK
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »

I have a movie on tape called "High Frequency."  Had a kid on the east coast talking with a ham in Switzerland and solving a mystery.  Turns out the kid really isn't licensed, though.

John AF5CC
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »

There is an old French film from the 1950's entitled "Si tout les gars du monde". Story revolves around efforts to get medication to a fishing trawler in the north atlantic. Crew suffering from food-poisoning. Radio amateurs in France, Africa, Germany aid in the effort. Many nations involved including US military in Germany. Film production technical advice from REF-Union, the French ARRL.  Catchy title music. Not available on dvd, unfortunately.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »

You left out TV series--Jericho used ham radio (or its close cousin!) in quite a few of its episodes.
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »

I wouldn't call this my "favorite" movie by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a film called Ghost House from the mid-'80's that was done in hilarious fashion by Rifftrax.  It has some minor bits involving ham radio.

http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/ghosthouse
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

Phenomenon staring John Travolta featured ham radio-specifically a Kenwood TS940.  He was able to copy RTTY by ear. Wish I could do that!

John AF5CC
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:28 AM »

Phenomenon staring John Travolta featured ham radio-specifically a Kenwood TS940.  He was able to copy RTTY by ear. Wish I could do that!

John AF5CC

I *loved* that movie! I'll have to watch it again!

Thanks for the movie ideas. I really appreciate it.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »

Not a movie but, The new Burger King commercial features an Icom IC-718. Grin
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:30 AM »

Not a film, but "The Radio Ham" with Tony Hancock. Very funny.
VE4DLA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »

The Bank Job, Jason Statham. I highly recommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: