Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 and SoftRock RX Ensemble II  (Read 3553 times)
pmraiders

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

I have purchased both the IC-7000 and the Softrock is in the mail. I would like to use both side by side and I understand that I need a tx/rx switch to take the SoftRock off of the antenna during transmission so I don't cook its little brains.

What can be done to achieve this? I would prefer an external solution that doesn't require opening up the IC-7000.

Thanks,
Jordan
KG7DBM
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »

The ACC connector pin 7 is grounded on transmit, see page 12 of the manual. You can use that to activate the external antenna switch.
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »

I have no idea where to begin to use that information. I'm probably going to need to roll my own board for this, but I have never really done electrical design.

How do I sense the grounded pin? Where do i find an electronically activated antenna switch? Is this just a higher power relay?

Jordan
KG7DBM
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »

Well, there are lots of circuits to be found searching the web. Probably you can find some in QST as well.
Basically what the circuit should be doing is in a sequence to first ground the RX input, then switch the antenna to the power amp and then power should come on. All that in very short time.
The grounding of that pin could directly switch a relay to ground, the other side permanently connected to positive. However, the relay will not do the job. So you'll need a sequencer circuit, which is triggered by the grounding of the input.
I think, MFJ also offers ready made antenna switching units.
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »

I looked at MFJ, what do you think of this little guy? I may have to use the SDR as a receiver but thats could have benefits as my 'shack' is the same room as my desktop computer.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1708

Im going to see if I cant find the manual for this and see if I can't make this work.

Edit: I believe that this won't work since my ic-7000 doesn't have a setting for ptt-rf delay. Perhaps I need to consider a different radio?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:20:56 PM by pmraiders » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »

This unit does not look bad. Why don't you ask them about using it as planned?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: