Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble finding exact Battery Replacement Kenwood TS-950SD S/N 1010625 CR2430  (Read 13370 times)
W2OR

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »

Having a bit of trouble finding an exact (repeat, exact) Battery Replacement for Kenwood TS-950SD S/N 01010625, with the preferred, exact type of tabs/pins spot-welded to the battery, as came with the rig when purchased new.  This is the CR2430 Lithium battery with special solder tabs.  Regarding the special tabs, on the PLUS side of the battery, there is a two-pin spot-welded tab.  On the opposite, negative side, there is a one-pin solder tab, a tab which is located at the opposite edge of the battery from the positive tab pins.  Yes, there are plenty of CR2430 batteries available with various style of pins and tabs, but I am searching for the preferred, exact pin/tab match, should anyone know of some suppliers of this exact match as described above.  (Yes, I can adapt other battery tabs and pins, but I prefer to find the exact match, thanks. And yes, I know that some suppliers will spot-weld the old tabs onto a new battery, but again, am searching for a match with the exact tabs already spot-welded, thanks.)  73 and thanks for reading.  /Mark.  W2OR ((at))) arrl ((dot)) net  .  Thanks.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »

I know """ batteries plus""" stores will spot weld  to your specs.. 
and they  have almost every  type of battery..

there is one in Eau Claire  wisc. so  they are not  necessarily  a   'big city' operation..

or  W Wassociates on  long island 
batteriesamerica.com      near  madison wisc.
lots of  ham  batteries places.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »

Have you called Kenwood Parts?
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »

Not hard at all but since you are picky, Aliied Electronics PN 70157346

It's called an FT-1 mount so search for CR2430-FT1

Clif
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »

I had a similar problem with a Kenwood mobile many years ago. I removed tabs from dead battery and soldered them to a replacement. If you lightly sand with a fine grit the surface and use flux it goes pretty easy.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »

They are all over on eBay , thats where I get single TABBED LI batteries that I don't use much. Between 2 to 4 bucks a pop...

Here is a typical 3 tab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VARTA-CR2430-3V-Lithium-Button-Coin-Cell-Battery-with-3-tab-pin-/251150041052?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item3a79b57fdc
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »

They are all over on eBay , thats where I get single TABBED LI batteries that I don't use much. Between 2 to 4 bucks a pop...

Here is a typical 3 tab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VARTA-CR2430-3V-Lithium-Button-Coin-Cell-Battery-with-3-tab-pin-/251150041052?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item3a79b57fdc

Might check expiration date too.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

I had a similar problem with a Kenwood mobile many years ago. I removed tabs from dead battery and soldered them to a replacement. If you lightly sand with a fine grit the surface and use flux it goes pretty easy.

You might rethink your procedure;
1. Soldering damages the battery (see Panasonic bulletin regarding same)
2. It can explode (I wouldn't want to be the one that suggested soldering and having someone loose an eye)

Clif
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »

You might rethink your procedure;
1. Soldering damages the battery (see Panasonic bulletin regarding same)
2. It can explode (I wouldn't want to be the one that suggested soldering and having someone loose an eye)

Clif

If you get on and off it quick with proper iron it is fine. But i can see were you might get in trouble with wrong iron and trying to heat it so long it heat soaks. I have done it a few times with no problems.

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:57:35 AM »

"Might check expiration date too. "

Most LI Batteries have a 20 year shelf life. I have never bought one on eBay and it was low. For 2-4 bucks , get two and save the deep thought process which wastes time.

I went to a seminar at SAFT in France and had a 4 day course on LI technologies  that I use at work. NEVER solder to a Lithium Based battery enclosure of any kind. It is highly explosive not only when it reaches its unstable temperatures BUT shorting them will also create a catastrophic event IF they are not a vented battery.

Spend the few bucks and do it right

Here is a video of a coin cell explosion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czZ8mZds4to
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:24:56 AM by N4ATS » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »

Quote from: N4ATS
I get single TABBED LI batteries that I don't use much. Between 2 to 4 bucks a pop...
The Solder tab Panasonic cells at Digi-Key are typically $1.00 to $1.50 each, qty 1.
Used in RFID, toll way transponders, and automotive electric systems (black box computers).
Digi-Key has tens of thousands, of most popular sizes, IN STOCK

CR2430-FT1
http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?fn=919.pdf
Dissecting the Part Number or Meaning
==
CR - Lithium coin cell formulation, CR-series contains perchlorate.
(BR-A series poly (carbon monofluoride) lithium is other major type)
24 - Diameter of the Coin Cell (24.5), rounded to closest mm.
30 - Current Capacity of Coin Cell (270mAh), rounding of mAh times 10 (check data sheet)
FT1 - Suffix for Solder tab type, FT1 refers to 3-pin Horizontal PC mount (pin spacing in data sheets)

Dantona Industries, Inc.
Lithium coin Cells with PC Mount
Allied Electronics : Distributor
http://www.alliedelec.com/images/products/datasheets/bm/DANTONA_INDUSTRIES_INC/70157333.pdf

Panasonic Coin Type BR & CR Batteries (Digi-Key)
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/batteries-oem/oem/primary-coin-cylindrical/br-cr.aspx

Panasonic virtually controls this market with its purchase of Sanyo, a few years ago.
BR-A Series Lithium Coin Cell Batteries (Datasheets, Digi-Key)
The GAN suffix for Panasonic coin cells appears to be same as FT1 (above),
LOOK at datasheet measurements to confirm.  A 23 mm coin cell w/tabs may also fit.

Batteries with Terminals - Panasonic/Sanyo
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/Panasonic_Lithium_Soldering.pdf

Design for Memory Back-Up Usage
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/Panasonic_Lithium_DesignMemoryBU.pdf

===
w9gb
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:28:43 AM by W9GB » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »

"Might check expiration date too. "

Most LI Batteries have a 20 year shelf life. I have never bought one on eBay and it was low. For 2-4 bucks , get two and save the deep thought process which wastes time.

I went to a seminar at SAFT in France and had a 4 day course on LI technologies  that I use at work. NEVER solder to a Lithium Based battery enclosure of any kind. It is highly explosive not only when it reaches its unstable temperatures BUT shorting them will also create a catastrophic event IF they are not a vented battery.

It is around 400 degrees where Li becomes unstable. If you cook it with a soldering iron for a good bit and heat soak complete cell you could have a problem.  If you are quick and clean it will be fine.

Talk about explosions ever see what happens to a low voltage diode when hit with a few KV for a capacitor? It will surprise you. Kinda turns it into a blasting cap.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »

I have soldered leads to both sides of a CR-2032 without incident, but it's definitely an exercise in speed soldering and will damage the battery (or worse) if done poorly. This may not be possible with the thinner CR-2025 and CR-2016 coin cells.

Allow the iron plenty of time to come up to full temperature. Measure the battery voltage while waiting. Create a small solder island on one side of the battery. Do this as quickly as possible and look for a smooth & shiny surface when done. Allow this to cool, then make another on the opposite side. Allow the battery to cool. Generously tin the wires to be attached then press them into the solder islands with the tip of the iron. Every contact between the soldering iron and battery should be around 2 seconds or less.

With a little skill and a little more luck you'll have a solid pair of tack-soldered connections and the battery voltage will test the same as it did at the start. If the voltage is noticeably less you've cooked the battery and should consider an alternate plan........  Sad

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

I have soldered leads to both sides of a CR-2032 without incident, but it's definitely an exercise in speed soldering and will damage the battery (or worse) if done poorly. This may not be possible with the thinner CR-2025 and CR-2016 coin cells.

Thats the EXACT point... Most hams , not all but most can't solder...

Spend the 2 to 4 bucks and do it right...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

Thats the EXACT point... Most hams , not all but most can't solder...

Spend the 2 to 4 bucks and do it right...

A lot do not even know how to run amps too but that does not stop them.  Point is as stated above, if you are competent at soldering, it is not a problem.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: