Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W4OP Hallicrafters FPM-300 MK II Restoration Video  (Read 2582 times)
W4OP

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »

I have just published an HD video of my FPM-300 MK II.
Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXDAN8dkW0

Dale W4OP
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »

Very nice, Dale, but it seems to just stop.

Is there a "Part II" coming?

Jim
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

Hi Dale!

Very cool! I used to have one of those (not the MkII) a long time ago. I had to replace the crystal filter as it had failed open. Yours is much, much nicer than mine ever was.

Thanks for sharing!  Cool

Will Rogers
K5WLR
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

Dale: Congratulations on a very beautiful job, not only the transceiver but also on the accessory.  I enjoyed the video very much.  Thanks for sharing.

Al - K8AXW

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »

Dale - Thanks for posting the video.  You and I corresponded several times about our FPM-300 MKII restoration projects.  After a year of off and on work I also got mine working great.  Ironically the VFO in mine was fairly stable after an hours warm up. 

Then I decided to replace the original HV filter caps with brand new 100Uf 450V caps I bought at the Charlotte NC hamfest.  Upon turning the rig back on after replacing the caps I got smoke and then the AC fuse blew.  I removed the PS board again and found no evidence of a wiring error.  Maybe the caps were bad.  After all replacing HV filter caps is not rocket science.  Any way I got angry and put the rig aside a month ago and started another restoration project.  Sooner or later I will get back to the FPM-300.

Last you and I talked you had power output issues.  I get (or got before the smoke) 150W PEP.  I recommended a Raytheon green banded Japanest 6KD6 which solved my power output problems.  Did the green band 6KD6 solve yours?

My FPM-300 looked almost new from the get-go, so I did not have to do any cosmetic restoration.

73  Dick  AD4U
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »

I removed the PS board again and found no evidence of a wiring error.  Maybe the caps were bad.

New to you may not be "new", but if you see a number like 3297 (or 9732) printed apart from the usual stuff that could be a date code for the 32nd week of 1997. I have parts in my stash that are over 40 years old and look like they came off the line last month. If the condensers are not of the Twist-Lok (coaxial) persuasion it's easy to get the polarity reversed and that's worth a second look. As a general rule any electrolytic I install gets (at least) an ohmmeter trickle-down test. Looking for a slow resistance rise to infinity on a 20 meg DMM. Not the definitive word in quality assurance, but it only takes a moment and every once in a great while I'll catch a part better suited for the circular file.............

Never change a password on a Friday                
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »

Your videos are very good because you use a tripod and you immediately dive right into the subject. Many other Youtube videos start with an unneccessary rambling talking-head monologue.  However, in this video most of the front panel views are out of focus. This is ok with low-definition video but it shows up in HD.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »

Nice looking radio.  I hope you get a lot of enjoyment and use from it.  It would have been nice if the "restoration" was video taped as well as the operation. 

Rick  wn2c
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »

Dale,

Congrats on the restoration.  I see you fixed the ON/OFF switch, mentioned earlier.

It was great to see your usage of Ed Wetherhold, W3NQN Passive CW Audio filter,
using five 88mH bifilar filter coils, that I remember from my Novice days in early 1970s.
http://w3nqn.com/build.html

How is the SBE transceiver restoration progressing?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:49:06 AM by W9GB » Logged
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

KQ6EA: The video portion ends with a short summary and then goes to a number of still shots with the audio fading at the end and video going to black- the entire YouTube is 11:44 minutes long. If yours stops before then- maybe decrease the resolution setting?

W6OU: I am not sure how  that happened re the focus. I should have caught that. Just goes to show that even expensive video equipment still requires an operator with his head on straight!. I'll run it through some video processing software that may help some. I just don't have the time to reshoot.

AD4U: I still have not installed the green band finals. It won't take long, I have just been so busy- now doing an SBE 33 project.

Dale W4OP
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »

Thanks for explaining that, Dale.

When the video stopped, I assumed it was over, and didn't hang around to watch the slide show!

73, Jim
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

Thanks for the tour of this rare radio.  Great production quality made this a joy to watch.  b.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: