Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack  (Read 10450 times)
KD2CTY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »

I go online to see if my local Radio Shack store has the item I am looking for in stock.  Yes, they do.  I go to the store.  Not only do they not have the item in stock, but they do not even know what it is.  But, they do have a cell phone to sell me.  Another time I was stuck in NJ with a GPS that had a broken GPS cable. I tried 3 Radio Shack stores. None of them had it. Each store assured me that the next place would have it.  I finally went to Best Buy and got the GPS cable.  Radio Shack is a wasteland.  I will never waste my time there again.  No wonder they are losing money.  I miss the Radio Shack of years ago, where you could find whatever electronic and radio parts you were looking for?  Want a CB antenna?  They do not stock them anymore.   Angry
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 03:40:51 AM »

But their stock went back up to $0.95 yesterday.
KM4FMK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »

I worked at a RS around 2002. At that time they were primarily training for computers and starting on some cell phones. Now they train their people for cell phones and everything else is secondary. So you walk in there with a tech question about anything not cell phone related and you get this blank look like you're speaking Swahili.

Unfortunately thats the way it is at almost every other general item retailer. Most employees are trained for stocking shelves and cashier. The other option is pay 50-100% more for the knowledge at specialized stores.
KG7OOM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »

They've gone down hill  Cry
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »

Roach wrote a book, made all employees buy it or face termination.  Only good thing was the title,"To catcha mouse, make a noise like a cheese!"  This way he got on the best seller list.
The book was written by Lou Kornfeld, not Roach.  And it was free to employees, we didn't have to buy it.

I was at Tandy while Tandy was alive, and was distressed when he passed.  But I stayed there till 1985.

I knew Roach from when he was VP over manufacturing, which is where he was over Leininger, when the first TRS-80 was designed.  That's how I ran into Roach. 

Always liked Roach, but the company did change under him.  He led the charge into computers.  Unfortunately towards his end of tenure other people moved in the 'suits' that were IBM mindset, and the whole system started to suck.  By then Roach was just a placeholder till he was to move on.  After he left, there never was a strong leadership.

Mike
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »

I spent $72 with them this morning, got some great black friday deals and some free gloves for me and the wife.

What did you do today to help them stay in business...

fwiw in a small strip mall they had 8-10 people in the store while I was there. Good for them. I hope they do well.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »

The lastest RS commercial is using Weird Al!  It just becomes more and more bizarre!  One of the holiday gimmicks is bringing in a few high tech toys to draw in the crowds. I remember when their stores were full of cheap walkie talkies, remote control gizmos, etc. for the Christmas season. I hope they can hang in there, but it is hard to compete with Amazon and other internet sales venues.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: