Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8Q7KP Maldives  (Read 2936 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

This Maldives DXpedition is slated to start in a cope of days on the 23rd.  I've been trying to find out any information on how they are proceeding and is it still a go.  Anyone have an update on how they are doing ?

Bob
K6UJ
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

Krish, W4VKU, is on his way. He left yesterday and should have landed in India about 3 hours ago. I will keep you posted. The last time that I heard from him he was in Bahrain and getting ready to board his plane for VU

73 Mark N1UK
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »

great, thanks Mark

Bob
K6UJ
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »

Anyone that spends money supporting the Maldives Government and their Resorts is a real piece of work. Have they not heard of the boycott yet??? It's only a Google search away.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/344481

I mean REALLY? ..... President Mohamed Nasheed defended the practice of flogging, declaring that whipping women "is noble and civilized"

Just saying, not a nice bunch of people they are supporting by spending cash there.

KF7ITG
James
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:49:48 PM by KF7ITG » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »

I heard that Krish has made it to VU OK. A couple of bags are delayed and hopefully arriving tomorrow morning. Either way he has contingency plans in hand. So  all is looking good.

Mark N1UK
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »

Politics should stay out of amateur radio.

If we boycotted every country that had some law that
WE disagreed with, the DXCC list would be much smaller,
and there woukld be FAR fewer DX entities to work.

It is a shame that Sharia treats anyone like this, but it IS their
law and their country.
I do not agree with their practices, but I am in
no position the change them.

I wish the DXPedition well.

By the way, the Maldives would be an ATNO for me.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

I heard that Krish has made it to VU OK. A couple of bags are delayed and hopefully arriving tomorrow morning. Either way he has contingency plans in hand. So  all is looking good.

Mark N1UK

Thanks for the update Mark.

Bob
K6UJ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

I say if you disagree with their politics feel free to stay out of the pileups.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »

Krish got all his baggage in the end. He is all packed now and ready to fly out in a few hours, His VU7 plans are firmed up too it seems.

Mark N1UK
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »

Krish got all his baggage in the end. He is all packed now and ready to fly out in a few hours, His VU7 plans are firmed up too it seems.

Mark N1UK

Thanks for the update.  I will be delighted to get VU7.

Jonathan W6GX
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:06:49 AM »

Krish and Pai made it to the island and have the first station 8Q7KP up and running using the Steppir. They are on 15m ssb right now (1400 GMT). Tomorrow they plan on getting the second station up and running.

Mark N1UK
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:09:10 AM by N1UK » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »

Anyone that spends money supporting the Maldives Government and their Resorts is a real piece of work. Have they not heard of the boycott yet??? It's only a Google search away.

I mean REALLY? ..... President Mohamed Nasheed defended the practice of flogging, declaring that whipping women "is noble and civilized"

Just saying, not a nice bunch of people they are supporting by spending cash there.

KF7ITG
James

If this is your standard on whether you should or should not work a country... I hope that you log does not have Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Somalia and many others.

While I do not like these human rights violations any more than the next guy, I am not going to boycott an expedition because of it. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »

KF7ITG
James

If this is your standard on whether you should or should not work a country... I hope that you log does not have Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Somalia and many others.

While I do not like these human rights violations any more than the next guy, I am not going to boycott an expedition because of it. 

In Saudi Arabia women are banned from driving a car.  Restaurants are divided in half, one half for the men and the other half for women.  We should learn to respect other countries' customs and beliefs.

Jonathan W6GX
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:01 AM »

We should learn to respect other countries' customs and beliefs.

Amen to that.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

It was great to work Krish on 40m ssb last night. That was a real bonus. His vertical sitting in the salt water is working really well.

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: