Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO party question about logging?  (Read 602 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »

Just got on HF today, listening to 20 meters and hearing QSO parties.  I see there are some state specific logging programs. Can you log these in HRD? Does it generate the serial number?  

Just trying to learn some of this as today is my first day on HF.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:25:01 PM by K5UNX » Logged

K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »

OS far as I know HRD doesn't lend itself to contest logging very well if at all. More of a general purpose logging program, for chasing awards etc.
Most would use N1MM for contest logging or something else more specific for contest logging and then export in an ADIF file to the general purpose log later on. For casual contesting you can use whatever you want but it may be difficult to keep track of who you have and haven't worked to avoid working "dupes" (duplicate contacts). Also you may not be able to see what your score is or export a Cabrillo file to send your log and score in with if you decided to send in an entry.

Although a contesting log will keep track of the contacts by number 1,2,3,4,5 etc. it is not so much something to "generate" as to keep track of. In a CW contest the software will generate the consecutive serial numbers as you go so it can be sent by keyboard with a macro. In phone contests it will show up as you log so you know what number you are at to send it as part of the exchange
If you receive a serial number from someone either phone or CW, you would log it as part of the received exchange. If you are not sending in a log, logging it doesn't really matter much.

You can also log the "old school" method by hand on a paper log and dupe sheets. Later you can type the info into your computer log.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

Thanks for the info. That was helpful. Being new to this, there is a lot of learning to do. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: