Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announce any US 6m Es openings here......waiting for the season to begin!  (Read 6342 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »

Last year was  much less active than 2011.  Here's hoping 2013 heats up soon!

de Bob  EN80 ( central Ohio)
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

Worked my first Es  contact this morning.....a guy in  FL operating from his mobile.   The band is coming  to life.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »

Is this just a certain time of year?

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:24:18 AM »

As far as the UK goes (And I suspect, the US) there is the main Es season of roughly April to September  and a little one around Christmas so the answer is yes. There are other E layer events such as TEP (Trans Equatorial Propagation), Auroral E which sounds similar to Sporadic E and of course, Aurora with its distinctive sound. There may be others, I am not certain.

73 DE Tony

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »

Es has begun here in Ohio!  Yesterday I worked seven stations from MT to KS to OK to TX yesterday all with 59 signals= nice westerly skip.

I keep reading with envy all the  guys along the Gulf with their more abundant   Es and TEP. 

In regards to  the season, here in central Ohio things usually start in early May and  taper off  as we go through July, with far fewer openings in late July and  even less frequent  ones in early August.  At least thats what Ive noted during the past three years.
KJ6QVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »

This weekend I heard more activity on 6 meters than ever, but most of it was below an S3. I had one local contact, and a second who heard me but we did not QSO. Understand, I've only been on 6 meters for about 2 years, and I'm using a Heathkit SB-110A with a Cushcraft A503S about 30' up. Your mileage may vary ;-)

Rich KJ6QVB
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »

Yes!  The Es has really picked up these past few weeks.  With my 100w to a 5 el Cushcraft yagi at 15 ft I even worked LU6 on ssb via TEP a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to the VHF test .
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

hi,

this link was posted on one of the other topics

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

73 james
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »

6 meter openings are "announced" in the DX Cluster Spots to your left.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »

Tuesday night (1900-2130 hrs GMT, UTC or Zulu) during the RSGB UK Activity Contest, Six Metres opened with Eastern Europe, Carribean and W3/4 regions worked (not by me Cry)
Have a look at www.rsgbcc.org/vhf and have a look at the 50 MHz claimed scores

73 de Tony
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

Tuesday night (1900-2130 hrs GMT, UTC or Zulu) during the RSGB UK Activity Contest, Six Metres opened with Eastern Europe, Carribean and W3/4 regions worked (not by me Cry)
Have a look at www.rsgbcc.org/vhf and have a look at the 50 MHz claimed scores

I was in the UK the last year before the RSGB added 6m to the VHF Field Day test. Gent was working portable from our site in a separate contest using a 706 into a 3 ele beam I think. Great fun with the gang from G3GHN in Kent near Silverstone. Most interesting parts of the VHF FD were:

1) Working 70Mhz. Had a grand time with 7 ele on a hill and helping work a station in Slovenia. I did not get him but one of the guys worked him about 5 minutes after I left the tent.

2) Running France on 2m. Kinda funny. Apparently (per the Brits) the French make the Brits speak French just because but they hate how American slaughter the language so they suddenly learn all their English when they heard me on. HI HI.

3) Seeing how the infamous English fog can rapidly discharge a very large high capacity capacitor causing an evacuation of a tent at the sound of the bang!

Hope to get over and do it again sometime. DE KO1D ex M0CDR.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

I presume you meant Brands Hatch.
Silvo is Northamptonshire

73 de Tony
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »

I presume you meant Brands Hatch.
Silvo is Northamptonshire

Wrotham, Kent was the area. (Looked up the nearby BBC transmitter. They told me Silverstone was not far. Perhaps the guillible American *shrug*)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: