Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite lesser known domestic, regional, or local contests are?  (Read 8238 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »

EXCLUDING the biggies:  CQWWDX, ARRLWWDX, WPX, FD, SS,

Mine include :
1. OSPOTA ( Ohio State Parks on the Air)   an 8 hr contest with working all Ohio state parks   as the goal.! 
2. OQHP and PAQP:  State qso parties....are a blast, especially the one day ones. 
3. ARRL 6M VHF Contest....always fun to set up someplace and see how the Es treats you.
4. 160M CW Contests
5. The guys around Pgh hold a ground wave contest on 10m that is really fun.  Stations from WPA, OH and WV  partake.  But mostly   hams all over WPA surprise theselves with ground/direct wave contact distances. Great idea! 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

I'm not a real contester, but I enjoy playing every now and then--pick up a few band/mode fills, even an all-time new one occasionally.  I had never heard of the "MM" contest until this morning, when I heard people working it, but I looked up the rules on the web, and I've had a lot of fun with it today on 15m CW, picking up a few contacts here and there when I had some spare time during the day.  "MM" seems a bit more easygoing than some HF contests.

The PODXS 070 club's contests are usually bundles of fun, too, though I don't do much PSK these days.

I think this past January is the first time I worked the "RTTY Roundup"--that was a HOOT!

I won't ever be a serious contester, probably, but they sure can be a lot of fun even for casual participants like me.  Plus they are a nice way to work on your CW skills, for us casual part-time hams.  :-)  

I was looking forward to trying the North Carolina QSO Party this year, but they didn't allow RTTY and that is what I felt like playing with that weekend, so I didn't work it at all.  Maybe next year!

I think a lot of hams may not know how much FUN you can have playing in a contest, even if you're not seriously contesting.  :-)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »

Canada Day (July 1)
Canada Winter Contest
WAE because of the QTC feature
IARU HF Championship
Just about any (every) RTTY contest.

I like the Canadien contests because they all seem
so friendly and polite, AND I never find ANYONE
overprocessed/distorted etc.
They are a pleasure to work.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »

I like the Canadian contests because they all seem
so friendly and polite, AND I never find ANYONE
overprocessed/distorted etc.
They are a pleasure to work.

Right--Canadian hams are almost always a real pleasure to work.

There's a great tourism motto for Canada:  "Canada: we're a lot like you, but nicer."   Wink

KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »

There is a Texas state park contest this year I believe. I hope its as fun as the Ohio state parks contest.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »

For DX "regional" contests, Far and away the highlight for me is the OK/OM Contest. I also enjoyed JIDX and WAPC (China) in the past couple of weeks.
KE8EC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

I like the Ohio state parks and Ohio QSO party
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

I think a lot of folks are going for WAMS (Worked All Monitoring Stations.)
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »

I like the QRP Contest "Flight of the Bumblebees". It looked as if it was going SK, but W2LJ picked it up.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »

The 13 Colonies Special Event is always loads of fun - http://www.13colonies.info/ Big signals, excellent operators, and a unique challenge to get all 13 of them in the log.
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

How about:
Winter Field Day? I've worked it from home, but would like to try it from the field one day.. Should be fun from northern Illinois. (As opposed to you lucky southern guys who go outdoors in FL or AZ! HI!!)

Also, the now defunct "Deathmatch" on PSK.. It used to be run by the Michigan DX Association, but I think they disbanded, so the contest is no more.. 48 hours, single operator only, no required rest periods..

73!
Bill AB9TA
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »

The 13 Colonies Special Event is always loads of fun - http://www.13colonies.info/ Big signals, excellent operators, and a unique challenge to get all 13 of them in the log.

I like this contest. I'm a QRP operator, and this contest is made more challenging than it has to be by "big gun" operators who, despite instructions to the contrary, try to work all 13 on ALL BANDS. It doesn't give them a bigger certificate, although I sort of wish the guy who runs the contest would attach a LID off of a soup can to give them something for their efforts. Smiley

-- Tom
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »

My favorite three are the ARRL 10 meter contest, the IARU contest, and the Illinois QSO party.  The first two are more or less sponsored by the ARRL, but they are probably some of the smaller ARRL contests.  They are the three I always try to make a more serious attempt in.  I used to live in Illinois so I would get on for the ILQP from there and even went mobile in it twice when I lived in Iowa.

73 John AF5CC
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

In no particular order:

PA QSO Party
FL QSO Party
ARRL 10 meters
ARRL VHF Contests (Jan, Jun, Sep)
CQ WW VHF
Sometimes, the Sweeps

73,  Jim N3AWS
WA3MD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »

I always enjoy the IARU test and IOTA Contest.  JIDX is fun depending on propagation.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: