Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! SDR# and ZADIG DID IN MY LAPTOP  (Read 4472 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »

I bought  a Terratec USB receiver figuring to give SDR rigs a try.

I'm using a Panasonic laptop running Windows XP Office.  I repeatedly tried downloading and installing SDR# and Zadig.  I kept getting the "display" but no tuning or audio.

All of this so messed-up by laptop that I can't use a hard-wired USB mouse or run the PCR-100; the serial port is screwed-up and the mouse drivers are missing.

Also the computer won't complete the "boot" process.  It hangs up and freezes after the monitor icons appear on the task bar.

I have to run the computer in the "safe mode with networking" to get online.  I've checked everything on "Device Manager". No problems show and supposedly everything is operating right.  Reinstalling the drivers for the mouse and the comm ports doesn't help.

Has this happened to anybody else out there?

Does anybody have any suggestions how to get my laptop back into normal operation? (Hi! Hi!) 

Thanks & 73!

N9LCD

Huh

PS:  After this, I'm sticking to my "boat anchors".

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:16:42 PM »

Boot is safe mode and uninstall SDR and Zadig software then try rebooting

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »

John:

Thanks.

I tried unistalling SDR and Zadig, defragging the hard drive; running "check disk" to clean-up the mess; trying to reinstall any drivers; and rebooting.

Still no luck.  The machine keeps freezing at the same point, when the video/monitor icons start appearing in the tasak bar.

73!

N9LCD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »

Tell me more about this laptop. CPU, memory amount, virus software?

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »

boot off the windows disk and do system restore.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »

boot off the windows disk and do system restore.

This will not help if he has a "bug"

K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »

Boot into safe mode & run your virus scanner.  Make sure you update it first!  Sounds like you might have a virus.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »

Boot into safe mode & run your virus scanner.  Make sure you update it first!  Sounds like you might have a virus.

Sounds like you have that or some malware. You might try "Malwarebytes" it is very good and rooting out malware in registry.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »

W8JX:

Computer:  Panasonic ToughBook CF-48

Processor:  Intel Pentium 4 Mobile CPU, 1.8 GHz

Operating System:  Windows XP "Office" -- Build 2600.XPSP_SP3

RAM:  512 MB

Hard Drive:  40 GB

Anti-Virus:  Avast "Free" -- Version 8.0.1483.0

Browser:  FireFox (x86 en-US) -- Version 20.0.1 

Last complete update: 04/20/13

Last complete anti-virus scan: 04/20/13.

I suspect "free" FireFox has gotten way out of hand.  While I'm doing this post. I opened Windows Task Manager and it shows FireFox using 175.9 MB of memory.  Does that seem way out of line?

Thanks & 73!

N9LCD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

No not for firefox really if you have several windows open and using flash. Part of the problem is lack of RAM.  XP with SP3 and latest updates and virus software needs more than 512 meg of ram. What is happening is that Windoze is creating virtual memory on hard drive and swapping code to run. My "guess" s that when you tried to load latest software it required so much "real" memory that it cause a page fault (memory swap error) and crashed system. You want 1gig minimum memory here. 1.5gig would be better yet.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:35 AM »

Thanks to all the hams who offered advice, especially W8JX, John.

I finally found most of my problems and got the laptop back up and running.

1.  Uninstalled ATI/Rage video driver / graphics card(?).  I'm still wondering how C# & Zadig corrupted that.

2.  Removed several updates/versions of Java6.  Apparently Java doesn't automatically remove "old" versions.

3.  Repaired and updated Avast Free Anti-Virus and got it down to a manageable size.

4.  Ran Defrag and Chkdsk to clean-up the hard drive.

TO BE DONE:

1.  Get the serial com port communicating with the PCR-100.

2.  Get the USB mouse working.

3.  Find some memory cards for a very old laptop.

Thanks again & 73!

N9LCD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »

You need to understand that XP itself takes about 300K to boot up plus memory for virus software and java and browser and so on. Windows manages by swapping code on and off HD to some extent but some code such as SDR must execute in real time. With limited memory it can cause page faults and potentially corrupt code on system. I STRONGLY recommend you increase memory on this system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: