Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stub Mast Length Calculations?  (Read 3361 times)
G4MKR

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:21 AM »

I'm just about to put up a pole/mast on the end of my house to support a 6M yagi. Does anyone know where I can find some info on how to calculate the best place for;
a) The pole/mast bracket positions
b) Length of pole with rotator/antenna in place
c) Length of stub mast

I've always done these things by eye/common sense but feel sure there must be a source of information out there that can calculate the safest way to do this.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »

Way too many variables in this problem: Wind Area of antenna; Weight of Antenna; Weight of Rotator; Torque imposed on mast by stopping antenna rotation; Construction of mast; Material of Mast and Stub including tensile strength; Design of Brackets; Structure to which Bracket(s) will be fastened;  Method of fastening Bracket(s) to Structure; ..........
G4MKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

Hi,
Agree many variables are present, but many are known such as wind area of antenna, weight of rotator etc. I'm really looking for the equations to do the calculations. There must be structural engineers who use such equations, or am I way off course here....?
Update: In case anyone is interested, it looks like a lot of the info I needed is right here in this document:
http://thebont.com/spreadsheets/AnalysisOfAntennaMastStrength.pdf
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:42:34 AM by G4MKR » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: