Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are Visalia Videos of the FlexRadio Flex-6700 demo station  (Read 11812 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »

I have a 6700 on order and looking forward to it VERY much.  I also took delivery of an ANAN-100 yesterday.  Quick use of the RX only last night shows that this promises to be a nice rig.  But it is apples and oranges when comparing to the 6700.  Yes, they're both DDC SDRs but that is where the similarity ends; each with their own benefits.  I'm looking forward to using them sided by side and compare the performance in crowded contest environments.

Learning the ANAN will keep me occupied while waiting for the 6700.

Greg

Sounds like you have more money than sense.  Why not can the Flex order and concentrate on the ANAN100?  How many ANAN100s can you buy for the price of one (non-existent, vaporware) Flex 6700?
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

Quite simply because the two radios are NOT the same.  They are similar in that they are both DDC radios but that is where it ends.  Two different approaches, two diffent grades of hardware and two different design goals.  I am sorry if you cannot see that but it is the way it is.  I am not knocking either.

Actually I ran into a problem with the ANAN and the support and service to rectify my issue has been nothing short of fantastic.

Good luck with what you are doing and I will enjoy what I am doing.

Greg
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

I'm very eager for the Flex-6700 "ears" as Howard VE3GFW reported:

In spite of the limitations of the beta test software, the [Flex-6700] receiver performance was astounding.

It appeared that the radio was hearing down to -142dBm (or about S0 – 15db or almost 2 ½ S Units below S0)

BUT what was more astounding was that they introduced DSP gain into the system so that it could hear down to -149 dBm or about the phase noise levels. I am not sure how to measure down to those levels as the thermal noise in my test equipment is higher than that. (The figures are un-calibrated- we will see what Sherwood says)

Adjacent Channel rejection appeared be out of the world….you could totally block an S9+40db signal 100Hz away…..

Like Howard VE3GFW says the Sherwood numbers promise to be impressive.

S9= -73dBm so 40 over is -33dBm.. Against -142 dBm this is about 110dB of instantaneous dynamic range, or about 18-19 bits in the ADC.  So it's impressive that they held that level of performance through the analog processing chain, but not exactly world beater in a DSP radio (it would be very challenging using LC or crystal filters).
  There are a lot of other aspects of performance that will be important.

I'd be more interested in seeing what their output spectrum looks like.  How well do they suppress the DDS and the image? Over frequency, time, and temperature.  How well can they keep that adjacent channel performance over time, frequency, temp, etc. How often do you need to recalibrate to hold that performance.   Stuff like that.
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »

Reports are that the first production Flex-6000s have shipped.

Will be interesting to hear these radios on the air, and read the first user reports.

Steve
K9ZW

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »

Will be interesting to hear these radios on the air, and read the first user reports.

Steve
K9ZW

References?  Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  Guys who were some of the first to order have reported that they have not received any word of theirs shipping.
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

References?  Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  Guys who were some of the first to order have reported that they have not received any word of theirs shipping.

Let Google be your friend and you should be able to find the press release.

http://bit.ly/ZYz5Fn - as a link will help if you need it.

Steve

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

Steve

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Yeah, I saw that already.  One box.  And it looks like marketing damage control more than anything else.

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

References?  Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  Guys who were some of the first to order have reported that they have not received any word of theirs shipping.

Steve

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Yeah, I saw that already.  One box.  And it looks like marketing damage control more than anything else.

Exactly one unit and and exactly one person get to be first!  On why basis can you claim it is a one-off and a put-up?

Perhaps you might ask FlexRadio Systems how many have shipped?  Nah, that might get facts in the way claims....

Would make sense to deal get facts, at least before making wild assed claims.

To quote the release (bold and underlined added):

.... and we shipped the first FLEX-6000 production radios. Not much going on here…

As communicated in the last two FlexInsider articles, shipping has now begun in low volume and will build as we gain confidence and work out any issues .....

As for my wait, when it is "soup" I'm ready for the radio.

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:58:13 PM by K9ZW » Logged

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

References?  Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  Guys who were some of the first to order have reported that they have not received any word of theirs shipping.

Steve

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Yeah, I saw that already.  One box.  And it looks like marketing damage control more than anything else.

Exactly one unit and and exactly one person get to be first!  On why basis can you claim it is a one-off and a put-up?

Perhaps you might ask FlexRadio Systems how many have shipped?  Nah, that might get facts in the way claims....

Would make sense to deal get facts, at least before making wild assed claims.

To quote the release (bold and underlined added):

.... and we shipped the first FLEX-6000 production radios. Not much going on here…

As communicated in the last two FlexInsider articles, shipping has now begun in low volume and will build as we gain confidence and work out any issues .....

As for my wait, when it is "soup" I'm ready for the radio.

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

I, like many others that are not Flex Radio fanboys, do not believe a single word that Flex Radio says.  Asking anyone at Flex Radio is just asking to be lied to.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

I've often wondered where the idiotic term "fanboy" originated.  I can't see how someone enjoying using the particular brand of radio they choose to use should make them a "fanboy" but if that's the case I was once a Kenwood "fanboy". Also have been a Yaesu "fanboy" on occasion. I've never been an Icom "fanboy", just never really cared for them.  But, I don't go around bashing them every chance I get. Lot's of folks like Icom and I say more power to them. They just aren't my favorite. I still don't get you guys who feel you have to bash things you don't like. If you don't like a brand of radio then by all means, don't buy it or use it. Use what you like and let others use what they like. Pretty simple concept. So simple even you and the rest of your ilk should be able to understand it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »

I've often wondered where the idiotic term "fanboy" originated.  I can't see how someone enjoying using the particular brand of radio they choose to use should make them a "fanboy" but if that's the case I was once a Kenwood "fanboy". Also have been a Yaesu "fanboy" on occasion. I've never been an Icom "fanboy", just never really cared for them.  But, I don't go around bashing them every chance I get. Lot's of folks like Icom and I say more power to them. They just aren't my favorite. I still don't get you guys who feel you have to bash things you don't like. If you don't like a brand of radio then by all means, don't buy it or use it. Use what you like and let others use what they like. Pretty simple concept. So simple even you and the rest of your ilk should be able to understand it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ

These folk seem so sad.

I forgot to use the "Ignore" button with this guy - oversight corrected.

Would seem most of us can enjoy all sorts of radios - my shack certainly has a variety. 

Why?  Personal preferences and operational fun!

Sometime personal challenge too (that kit transceiver I still don't have fully debugged comes too mind too quickly...)

Enjoy the hobby, the people and each new day!

Steve
K9ZW

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 05:17:53 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

The reason why you are offended by the term fanboy is because you are one.  Funny that you jump out of the woodwork when the term is mentioned.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 09:56:25 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

The reason why you are offended by the term fanboy is because you are one.  Funny that you jump out of the woodwork when the term is mentioned.

The difference is that Michael, W4HIJ, doesn't fling poo from behind a meaningless ID.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

I agree with your premise, but much of the problem was created by Flex themselves.  Consider that some of the most hated companies right now are banks and satellite/cable TV providers.  Why?  Misleading advertising, the way disputes are handled, the mismatch between marketing and the customer experience, hidden fees, and not keeping promises are some of the key reasons.  Many would argue that Flex is guilty of some of these behaviors.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

The difference is that Michael, W4HIJ, doesn't fling poo from behind a meaningless ID.

So what? Both you and W4HIJ fling meaningless poo period!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: