Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the best DXpedition of 2012?  (Read 2522 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

Here is a list of notable 2012 DXpeditions. What is your vote for the best and tell us why?

TT8PK Chad
D64K Comoros
TN2T Rep of Congo
3D2C Conway Reef
7P8D Lesotho
5T0SP Mauritania
ZL9HR Campbell Island
3B9SP Rodrigues Island
6O0CW Somalia
9M0L Spratly
CY9M St. Paul Island
PT0S St. Peter & Paul
NH8S Swains Island
7O6T Socotra Island-Yemen
VP6T Pitcairn Island
HK0NA Malpelo Island
T30PY W. Kiribati
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »

If I had to pick one - 7O6T. In fact - that is who I voted for on DX World. The extreme rarity, surprise factor, and the fact that they asked for West Coast - to squeeze us in during the short openings. For me - that makes it a rare classic.

But last year was such an amazing year - with more rare ATNO's than I can ever remember - that it would have been a 4 way tie (if this is just about the radio part - and left out the business part of an operation):

7O6T, HK0NA, E40VB, ZL9HR

For me, Vlad, UA4WHX is equally as "notable" or important as all of the large DX-peditions. He has given me more ATNO's than anyone - and I know he has visited far more places and activated them than anyone else - including one person who usually gets credit for such an accomplishment - but where Vlad is easily the hands down winner.

Notable mention would have been Z81D - Diya - call that one the "Spirit Award".

Its always difficult because I appreciate each and every ATNO equally. They all get the same "point", eh?

Rich
KY6R
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »

PT0S, with HK0NA as a very close second.  I based my vote on the hardships and discomforts experienced by the teams, all while they were very effective in handing out QSO's.
Chuck  NI0C
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »

CY9M - coz I was there  Grin

Good list, Paul.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »

My vote is with 7O6T because it's the rarest entity I have ever worked and an ATNO.  Voting for the best dxpedition is very subjective.  It's difficult to judge a dxpedition on its operation because each location has its challenges.  In the 7O6T it was getting the license and organizing a trip with very short notice (2 weeks).  For other places like PT0S it was making the best out of what was available to the team, which was practically nothing.

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

my vote is for NH8S
great operator , great operation , new one ,
last new one for me 
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

7O6T hands down!
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »

7O6T..... An ATNO, and one which I really doubted that I would ever even get the chance to work.  Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »

Different categories here, though. I don't think it's possible to lump them all together. Best overall? A tossup between 7O6T (ultra-rare and well done across the spectrum) and HK0NA (massive size, budget, etc). Edge to Yemem. Smaller operation PT0S hands down. Their conditions down there, the ultra-rarity of St. Peter and Paul (of late, anyways) and the fact they owned the lowbands put them head-and-shoulders above any other operation that wasn't a huge multi-national team. I'd round out my list with ZL9HR, again, due to its rarity worldwide and the fact the one of the members of the team (Les, W2LK) is a great guy, friend and past president of my club, the North Jersey DX Association. Being an ATNO for me was a plus, too, but the financial shennanigans dropped it a few pegs. No fault to the ops who got screwed out of a significant amount of cash, of course, but still it tarnished another fantastic operation.

I'll always give great marks to any DXpedition who uploads to LoTW while on the air or immediately thereafter and I thank those who did this time, too.

Finally, I don't want to disparage any of the other operations I didn't nominate since most did a stellar job handing out rare ones to The Deserving across the globe. Thanks to all who've sacrificed time and money to sit in a tent on a hot or cold island in the middle of nowhere and run pileups for a week or more.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »

If I go by the Title of the Thread there can only be one logical answer:  HK0NA
I think most people are answering based on rarity, distance or need but if it's based on a combination of factors like the size and scope of the operation along with professionalism and difficulty to set it up then I think HK0NA was one of the best operation for 2012.  It did have the most contacts of all those listed and I heard no complaints about the operation.

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

All of the ones I worked!..... Grin....

V
KA3NRX
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »

I too vote for 7O6T due to the fact that they called for the Pacific many times and I got to work them a a few bands 30-10M CW and phone and 1 RTTY contact. Some of the DXpeditions I could never hear because they always changed bands right as it propagation was just starting to pick up here to them. It happens all the time. I was able to get HK0NA on three bands. As for Swains, Pitcarin, Conway Reef, Spratly's and Central Kiribati I already had them so I did not try. I missed the ZL9HR one but the rest I could not hear or if I did they were just above the noise and with the piles they had there was no way I was getting in. But 7O6T was the best they were pounding in here most of the time with great ops at the helm.

Good DX
Roland AH6RR
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »

This is easy for me to answer:  7O6T

A complete surprise and brilliantly executed!

73 de harry, W6DXO
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »

Sorry Paul, that's a hard question to answer because they were all good.  However the 2 that stood out for me was HK0NA and 7O6T.  They both tie for 1st!

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »

Wow, that is a tough one. If I could I would vote for all of them because anyone who goes out on a DX'pedition to help others get a new one in the log deserves a vote of thanks. However, if I had to pick just one, then it would be 7O6T. Not only for the rarity but the ingenuity it took to get that one on the air. Plus the danger factor involved in just being there. When David described what it was like at night going down the street in the dark, that had to be scary. I would be running myself Smiley

John K7KB
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: