Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the best DXpedition of 2012?  (Read 2213 times)
NW4C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »

Paul,
   First, my compliments on an excellent DXpedition list.  Talk about tough choices. 2012 turned out to be a banner year for top-notch DXpeditions to entities many of us needed. That being said, however, my vote is a virtual tie between 706T and HK0NA.  
   706T came on unheralded and, out of the blue for most (if not all) of us. But its first class operators kept things under control and quickly whittled down the pile so the littlest of pistols got a fair crack at this most-wanted entity. In addition, the QSL/confirmation process for 706T Yemen was first-class as well.
    HK0NA may not have been as high on the most-wanted list but the extraordinary effort by the Malpelo crew to get a station on top of Malpelo’s  ‘mountain’ gave the US west coast, Oceana-Pacific and eastern Asia a chance for a Q they would never have had otherwise. In addition, they made a significant effort to work as many stations outside of NA/SA as possible.
   It’s almost impossible to rank operations like this—both were superior, from operators to overall operation and QSLing. Ranking 706T and HK0NA  implies one was ‘better’ than the other. In my mind, both were classy, top-of-the line DXpeditions in every respect…and each truly deserves our respect in return.
   73, Warren, NW4C
Ps…BTW, Paul, GL on your P5 efforts.  If it doesn’t come about there are plenty of other good Asia-Pacific-Oceana DX fish that need ‘catching’, like KH1 Johnston, KH3 Baker-Howland, etc. Even that tiny eastern Pacific rock pile CE0X San Felix deserves some DXpedition consideration.  
GL and have fun deciding and making plans. - w

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:19:59 AM by NW4C » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »

If I go by the Title of the Thread there can only be one logical answer:  HK0NA
I think most people are answering based on rarity, distance or need but if it's based on a combination of factors like the size and scope of the operation along with professionalism and difficulty to set it up then I think HK0NA was one of the best operation for 2012.  It did have the most contacts of all those listed and I heard no complaints about the operation.

My reason for choosing 7O6T had to do with the outside the box thinking.

This does not mean that the others are any less appreciated. I got a decent number of new ones in 2012 and I thank them all for making the effort.

But the fact that they chose Socotra Island to put Yemen on the air was a fantastically brilliant move. I think their chances would have been much less if they concentrated on activating the main part of Yemen. Instead they went outside of the box, and achieved both our goals of getting a new one and probably even promoting the island, which I really didn't know about until now.
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »

Here is a list of notable 2012 DXpeditions. What is your vote for the best and tell us why?

TT8PK Chad
D64K Comoros
TN2T Rep of Congo
3D2C Conway Reef
7P8D Lesotho
5T0SP Mauritania
ZL9HR Campbell Island
3B9SP Rodrigues Island
6O0CW Somalia
9M0L Spratly
CY9M St. Paul Island
PT0S St. Peter & Paul
NH8S Swains Island
7O6T Socotra Island-Yemen
VP6T Pitcairn Island
HK0NA Malpelo Island
T30PY W. Kiribati

Based on different factors which include but are not limited to: remoteness of the DXCC, landing difficulties, harsh weather environment, ranking on the most wanted list, number of Qso's in the log etc...

1.PT0S
2.HK0NA
3.7O6T

2012 was one of the best in my HAM radio career so to vote for best DXpedition from this list is not an easy thing.

73 Dragan K0AP
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:20 AM »

Answering this question is like answering which of your kids you like the most.  For the most part, every one of those activations were first rate and well run.  I would agree with others that PT0S and HK0NA deserve note due to the insane challenge of just setting up and operating.  Pulling off 7O6T and 6O0CW given the rarity, area and potential danger was incredible.  As a hater of parasites, the pictures of the ticks on 3D2C in itself would put them near the top of my list.  D64K was my favorite logo.

I again thank ALL of those that work so hard to make these trips possible.  It's a privilege and a blast to chase you.

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

Based on different factors which include but are not limited to: remoteness of the DXCC, landing difficulties, harsh weather environment, ranking on the most wanted list, number of Qso's in the log etc...

1.PT0S
2.HK0NA
3.7O6T
73 Dragan K0AP

Same here, for those same reasons.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »

1.PT0S
2.HK0NA
3.7O6T
73 Dragan K0AP

Same here, for those same reasons.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

My choice same as above.  PT0S crew was really heroic!  73, Rich, K3VAT
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

I would have to go with 7O6T.  I am guessing that it gave an ATNO to more ops than any of the other DXpeditions.  Think back to the start of 2012-how many of us though we would work Yemen that year?  Probably not anyone who wasn't involved with the DXpedition.  The fact that they could keep that DXpedition so quiet until right before it happened was incredible, and I even worked it on 2 bands with my crummy setup.

Lots of other good DXpeditions last year as well.  Got HK0NA (12m), 3D2C (12m), TT8TT (15m)  and ZL9HR (30m) for new band countries.  Hope 2013 turns out as well DXpeditionwise.

John AF5CC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: