Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VE1JBC, John Brian Clark, In Tried To Rip Me Off For a $600.00 Radio ,Beware!  (Read 3541 times)
WC8I

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »

Angry Hi All, first I want to say, I have never had to write up any complaint on anyone, I can remember, but, I felt I must let you all no about the deal that John Clark ,From Canada, made with me, His call sign is VE1JBC, Now on April 13, he e mailed me about a radio he wanted to sell me, We exchanged e mails, and I had him call me just to be sure, talking to him, I thought well its ok, but, just for safey, Ill  pay you by pp, so I called paypal, and had them check to see if every thing was ok, he used the paypal, user name of Maria Belicakova, but, they assured me it was fine, well I then sent the $600.00 to him, He said he would try to ship it on Wed, the next day, well, he did not, and did not hear from him, so thursday I heard nothing from him, came friday, now im concerned, I e mailed him again, at his regular e mail, he said he was going to ship it out that nite, and he would contact me, well nothing, so on Saturday, I e mailed him again, and Stated if not shipped out by saturday nite, I would appreciate my money back, I heard nothing back from him, so on sunday, I called paypal, and explained to them he will not send the radio, and filed a case against him, a day or so went buy, and I tried his e mail address, and said I cant beleive you would do this to me, is there a problem, he replyed and said , I need $300.00 ASAP please send it by western union, so he can ship the radio, now shipping was included in the price, so, I new then I was scammed by someone? Got funds bk today,from pp, Bill nbohioham@yahoo.com   
WC8I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:19 AM »

As to the Warning I just posted, I run out of space to finish my statement, anyway, if you are or plan on doing business, with him, or whomever ? your best using Paypal, if not for that, I would have lost the entire amount, To be honest, as nice as he was, I would have trusted him, he came accross that well, now im not saying someone did not steal his password or user id, but when the western union statement came up hum, that was now, in my mind as something does not feel right here, But, I was lucky and it all turned out ok for me, they paid my money back,  so  just be careful, thanks, and god bless, to all, Bill.
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »

His call sign was stolen. Please see this link:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?388744-Scam-using-my-CallSign-VE1JBC

WC8I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »

That could be, mine was to a few weeks ago, but how would he get his pay pal user Id and password , now that would be hard to get,!also when pp tried to contact him or I believe they freeze ur checking account for the amount , so in 11 days he never noticed $600.00 was froze ? I no I would , any way again glad I used PayPal I would have lost my money. I don't no if he was behind it or not, I would hope not , but that is not for me to say , just giving the facts , god bless Bill
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

Hi Bill..I am glad you got your money back. I only use Paypal when buying and selling unless I have had past transactions with the other ham. You did say the paypal name was a different name than the sellers. That right there is a dead giveaway for a scam.

Ronnie KA2CDT
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »

WC8I  Bill, I would almost bet that someone opened a bogus account under his name. You should know by now that these things can happen.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:38:54 AM »

That could be, mine was to a few weeks ago, but how would he get his pay pal user Id and password , now that would be hard to get,!also when pp tried to contact him or I believe they freeze ur checking account for the amount , so in 11 days he never noticed $600.00 was froze ? I no I would , any way again glad I used PayPal I would have lost my money. I don't no if he was behind it or not, I would hope not , but that is not for me to say , just giving the facts , god bless Bill

PayPal ID's are easy - it most often is a user's email address.  As for passwords, many people use the same passwords for everything because we find remembering multiple passwords too difficult.  Personally, I uses separate passwords for anything connected to banking, and couple of others for everything else.
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:45:18 AM »

Hi Bill can you clarify...You had said that the user name on paypal was different than that of the sellers. Was that not a red flag of a possible scam attempt? Also you said that you exchanged email addresses. Was the email address the same one being used by the real ham op?  How did paypal verify that the email address was in fact the real email address of the seller?

Ronnie KA2CDT
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »

Hi Bill,

Glad you got your money back, but if I was a foreign ham, your opening statement would give me the impression "do not deal with hams from Canada"

You might have said, VE1JBC from Halifax, Nova Scotia or something a little more specific. That would be like me saying W8xx from United States ripped me off. Makes us all sound bad.

Anyway, glad to hear things worked out for you.

WC8I

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »

Yes, I called pp on the phone  before paying him, or whomever?  they assured me it was a good account, also, I did e mail him, at his regular e-mail address, and that is when I received a responce to send him $300.00 by western union, and supposobly he did call me on the phone when I asked him to, the number was a blocked call, but, I thought maybe from canada it might be,  I did my best to feel at ease about sending the funds, by calling pp, and also using his email, and asking him to call me, what more can you do? but, that was I guess not enough, In the end, it turned out good for me, so, I dont hold any hard feelings, I only posted this in case there is a scammer out their, maybe using his emails and accounts, and  to let fellow hams no, to be very careful, thanks, and god bless, Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: