Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can USB-Signalink & FLDIGI do CW???  (Read 13688 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

I hope this is correct area to ask my question?

Because of my handicap, I can only operate MACHINE  CW CODE...
I have a USB-Signalink , xmtr is Icom IC-7410, and use FLDIGI software...

Can the USB-Signalink (thru FLDIGI software) perform to manually key my
IC-7410 for CW mode Huh?

(i also use Olivete, PSK31, & RTTY...I apologize for any typing or spelling
errors, because of my handicap...I've been licensed 43-years)

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »

Yes, Fldigi will key your rig to send CW.  The rig needs to be in the USB mode.  Fldigi will key an audio tone. It works.  I've done it.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »

To clarify - what you get is an AUDIO TONE fed to the radio, it will NOT key the radio as a straight key would. But you DO get morse code with it, send & receive. - It will (should) take care of switching the tx on as well. (with proper hookup)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:28:18 AM by WD8OQX » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »

I've used DM-780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe), etc. to key CW (well, technically MCW) in USB-D mode though my Icom for some time. Just set it up like any other digital mode. You'll want to make sure you're transmitting a clean signal without ALC, etc. And you'll probably want to turn up the delay knob on the Signalink a bit so it keys continuously through the morse transmission.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »

I've used DM-780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe), etc. to key CW (well, technically MCW) in USB-D mode though my Icom for some time.

This isn't MCW if the rig is in SSB mode.  Assuming the carrier is well suppressed and the audio is clean, what you'd see on a spectrum analyzer will be indistinguishable from what's transmitted by a CW rig.

If you were transmitting AM or FM, and feeding Morse audio into the rig, that would be MCW.  And it'd be illegal on any band below 6 meters.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »

Check out the article on page 44 of the May 2013 issue of QST.  If you can adapt a SignaLink USB to key RTTY, you can also simulate a straight key to key CW.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »

I've used DM-780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe), etc. to key CW (well, technically MCW) in USB-D mode though my Icom for some time.

This isn't MCW if the rig is in SSB mode.

Right. But the option to select in DM-780 is MCW because it's using audio rather than activating an actual keyer.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »

In case you're not confused yet, try this:

1. Set up fldigi and your rig to do PSK31.   Make a few QSO's in that mode.

2. Now, _without touching anything on the rig_, change the MODE in fldigi to "MCW".

3. Move the rig's frequency to a CW band segment.

What you type will now be transmitted as CW, instead of PSK31.   And responses should appear on the waterfall, and be decoded by fldigi.

4.  Once you have this working, you can raise the TX audio drive (from the SignaLink) until the rig's ALC meter just starts to move.  Then turn it down just a little bit.  That's your maximum undistorted power.

.             Charles

WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »

What I posted before was it's advertised intended usage as it came out of the box. But I just found the following link so it appears that there IS a way to do it that ISN'T in the ads &/or part of it's "intended" use.

Here is the link to what I found:
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbts.htm#How%20do%20I%20operate%20%22direct%20keyed%22%20CW%20with%20the%20SignaLink
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:05:31 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »

IMO you would be better off buying a K1EL Winkeyer USB and using that with your software to send CW with the radio in the CW mode. I have that setup and it works great. Rarely use it but it does work well.

I have mine setup to operate with DM780 which contains provisions for the Winkeyer in the software.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »

RE:  WD8OQX statement...Thank you for the info.  I already have the SLCABNC cable by Signalink & a plug for the "...direct keyed CW..."  Because of my handicap, I'm very slow at certain items.

RE:  VE1FMC statement...Thank you for your info, also.  BUT what is the website to view & order the "...K1EL Winkeyer USB ..." website ??

KEN
KC8Y
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

BUT what is the website to view & order the "...K1EL Winkeyer USB ..." website ??

http://k1el.tripod.com/wkusb.html

Note that this is a kit. I'm not sure the extent of your disability, but it may preclude assembling the tiny parts. If so, you can e-mail them to order an assembled kit for $109 plus shipping.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

Yes it works but fldigi only copies good quality cw.   I find the copy great for high speed compter generated cw but a lot of errrs cooying typical hand sent cw.  On the sending side it sends very good cw.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: