Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use a second RX in your K3?  (Read 3533 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »

This is very much a K3 specific question.

I have the full K-Line, and love it. I have to admit - the P3 is cute, but not as essential as the KPA-500 and KAT-500 as far as accessories go. I still like to tune in between others in a pileup, and am so good about tracking a DX-ped moving up and down that its second nature. In fact - I'm so fast at pushing the A/B button, I don't feel that not having a second RX has been much of an inconvenience.

But I used to have an Orion II, and I loved just listening to diversity RX - two different antennas and being able to pan and split the diversity in a good pair of phones. I've always been much more of an SWL than someone who transmits a lot, but man, that second RX is pretty damned expensive.

Anyone feel they can't without the K3 second RX? If so, why?
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »

I don't have a second receiver.  I ordered the K3 kit without it figuring I might add it at a later date but after adding the P3 I never saw the need for a second receiver. I've worked everything I've needed so it hasn't hurt me to be without it.

Chris/NU1O
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »

I have two K3's in my shack and I get by nicely with only a single receiver in each of them.  One K3 is coupled to the P3 which is quite useful.  I use the P3 to place my signal in the gaps of the pileup.

If needed, I push the reverse button so that I can tune through the pileup.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »

The REV button is so quick and easy I don't really see a reason for it.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »

Two K3's here, no second RX in either. I do have a LP-PAN on both.

Tor
N4OGW
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »

I don't have a K3 however I cannot imagine DX'ing without a sub RX.  On occasion the sub RX is not useful.  The happens when there are so many callers calling out of turn and I cannot find the DX station's listening frequency.  However on most occasions I could zero beat the RX frequency very quickly.  Using the REV button could achieve the same result but once you have used a sub RX you will get spoiled and never look back.  And in some extreme cases one doesn't have enough time to hit the REV button- like in the case of working Monk Apollo.  He doesn't call QRZ so one has to time the call perfectly without causing QRM.  Just my $0.02 and YMMV.

ps I also have the LP-Pan but I find it not that useful in a major pile up.

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »

I've had my single RX K3 for nearly five years.  Some day I'll upgrade it with a second RX. Like Rich, I'd like to try out diversity reception.  W4ZV (the world's top DX'er on 160m) has written some good stuff on the Elecraft Reflector on diversity reception. 

I also find I want a second receiver for the K3 if I'm using the APF on a weak CW station who is working split.  The APF requires one to use FINE (1 Hertz steps) tuning resolution, but that's too slow for tuning through the pileup on VFO B.  I'm assuming a second receiver would allow me to use 1 Hz resolution for the DX and 10 Hz resolution for the pileup.

Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »

I'm shocked at how many of you seasoned DXers don't use a sub RX. Perhaps it's better to keep it this way Wink

Jonathan W6GX
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »

Yes, factory installed. Helps a lot.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 06:04:32 AM »

I'm shocked at how many of you seasoned DXers don't use a sub RX. Perhaps it's better to keep it this way Wink

Jonathan W6GX

I appreciate the replies - this is a pretty interesting topic. Good points all around. Thanks!

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:18 AM »

I have two K3s and neither have the second receiver.  One K3 is tied to the P3, and between it and the REV button, I can follow the DX with no problems.

Several of my fellow members in the Northern Ohio DX Association (NODXA) swear by them, but there are others who are just as happy using only the single receiver.  I have never used a second receiver in a rig, so it might be something that I would find very valuable if I ever tried it.  I'll withhold judgement until the opportunity presents itself.

73 de Jim - KE8G
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 06:15:02 AM »

i recognize K3 only request BUT

i use an Orion II with upgraded subreceiver and have added an SDR-IQ sdr receiver....
The second receiver on ssb allows me to track the scanning pattern of the dx station, up or down or work a few on same freq os totally random...and to get a sense of timing

with the sdr-iq,  i use cwskimmer to accomplish the same thing visually...
and use the subreceiver to verfiy by ear what cwskimmer is telling me visually

in both cases, i sit and listen, establish an attack plan then jump in
guess that is why i call it  'hunting dx'

just my 2 cents  which has been severely eroded by inflation and the bank bailout

Paul K3sf

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:26 AM »

W6GX wrote:
Using the REV button could achieve the same result but once you have used a sub RX you will get spoiled and never look back.  And in some extreme cases one doesn't have enough time to hit the REV button- like in the case of working Monk Apollo.  He doesn't call QRZ so one has to time the call perfectly without causing QRM.

I appreciate what you're saying, Jonathan, and wish I had the option of a second receiver in my K3 for those occasions when it would be of advantage.  However, I did try dual receive for a few months using my K2 as a second RX along with the K3.  I used a receive antenna splitter on the inputs, and a cheap audio router box by MFJ on the audio outputs.  I could hear both sides of the pileup, either mixed in both headsets, or in separate ears.  I could balance the volumes to whatever I wanted.  Yet, I never liked the idea of hearing the pileup and DX at exactly the same instant.  To me, it defeated the purpose of a split pileup, especially with all the knuckleheads who keep calling, no matter who is transmitting. 

Maybe I would like dual receive on the higher bands.  I tried my experiment during the Winter months when I was on 160 meters exclusively.

Chuck  NI0C
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 07:10:30 AM »

This is a very timely topic as I am
Planning the spec of my K3,

I currently have a Pro2 and I use the the dual watch function all the time to look to see where the DX is listening,

Does the K3 need a 2nd RX to do this Huh?

Thanks
Trevor
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »

EI2GLB wrote:
I currently have a Pro2 and I use the the dual watch function all the time to look to see where the DX is listening,

Does the K3 need a 2nd RX to do this?

Yes, it does.  With a single RX you need to use the A/B VFO's and the REV button to sample the QSX frequency, versus hearing it continuously. 

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: