Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use a second RX in your K3?  (Read 3694 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »

But can you listen to both VFO's at once??
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »

Yes.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »

Not with only a single receiver. 
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »

One vote for yes and one for no, anyone else like to vote  Grin
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

the K3 doesn't have double listening base configuration
the only possibility to have twice as much listening is buy the KRX3,
Tony

http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3FAQ.htm#dual vfo
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

I get the main receiver in my left ear and the sub receiver in my right ear. The volume and balance controls control how much of each.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I allways had the 2nd RX on my list but now I am not too sure.

If I ditched the 2nd RX and the filters I was going to put in it I could afford the P3.

Not sure what to do now.

Thanks
Trevor

K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »

I have the second receiver, and 2.8 and 2.1 filters in both main and sub.  I use the sub receiver all the time when chasing split DX.  I set the sub on the DX, and the main (and xmt) on whose calling.  I should point out that I am using the K3 remotely.  Wouldn't be without the sub.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

I've had my K3 for 2 years now.  I also have the KPA500 and KAT500, and no second RX in the K3.  What I do have is a LP-Pan Adapter with big 27" high res monitor.  For me personally, this is the equalizer as I like seeing the split, whose working the DX and any pattern that the DX is using to answer the callers.  When I got the K3, I thought that I'd get a 2nd RX a bit later, but now I don't really need it.  73, Rich, K3VAT
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »

I get the main receiver in my left ear and the sub receiver in my right ear. The volume and balance controls control how much of each.

Wx2s.

I do the same thing with stereo headphones.  I listen to the DX in the left ear and stalk the pileup in the right ear. I love it.   Try it and you will never go back to the old way  Grin

Bob
K6UJ

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »

K6UJ wrote:
I listen to the DX in the left ear and stalk the pileup in the right ear. I love it.   Try it and you will never go back to the old way 

YMMV on that, Bob.  I know a lot of people like the dual receive, but I couldn't get used to it.  I prefer hearing just the DX in both ears, without any distractions from the peanut gallery in the pileup.  I do have one ear that is about 10 dB weaker than the other, and that might have something to do with my preferences. 

73 & good DX,
Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »

K6UJ wrote:
I listen to the DX in the left ear and stalk the pileup in the right ear. I love it.   Try it and you will never go back to the old way 

YMMV on that, Bob.  I know a lot of people like the dual receive, but I couldn't get used to it.  I prefer hearing just the DX in both ears, without any distractions from the peanut gallery in the pileup.  I do have one ear that is about 10 dB weaker than the other, and that might have something to do with my preferences. 

73 & good DX,
Chuck  NI0C

If I have a good copy on the DX station I always listen to the pileup in one ear.  If I have a poor copy on the DX I turn the sub RX off or lower the volume on the sub RX substantially.  If I know the DX is running a fixed split I also turn the sub RX off.  I just think for the price ($680) it's worth it especially if one chases DX all the time.  Lastly, another useful purpose for having a sub RX is that you could monitor two frequencies on two different bands at the same time.  Why is this useful?  When you know a dxpedition is about to come on and they have established a band plan Grin

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »

Trevor

I have spent a lot of money on accessories for the K3,
practically there is everything, 7 filters, all interfaces, tuner, dual rx, p3,

If I could go back I would buy only 1 Filter (cw or ssb) for the preferred way and the dual receiver, 500 Hz 8 POLE filter is necessary if you like cw,
later, if you like radio you can buy even less useful things,
K3/100
500 Hz filter
krx3
and you're in the air
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

Thanks Tony I have lots of time to think about the spec.

I will keep my options open until its time to order.

Trevor
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »

I have P3 and KRX3. KRX3 is useful in for me in two situations:
1. Diversity receive during 160m.
2. Intense pileup.

Under small pileups P3 can identify the DX frequency. Under intense pileups stations call all the time and then KRX3 is useful again.

Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: