Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun in the sun  (Read 2022 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

Yesterday was a beautiful spring day in Maine,I spent the morning at the picnic table cobbling together a 30m 2 watt cw transceiver from two defunct QRP rigs and spare parts then spent 5 minutes putting up a 12 ft.high inverted V cut for 30m, 28 ft. coax feed line,no tuner,connected the 12v jump start battery and called CQ with no idea of SWR or power output (probably 1-1/12 W).The Gods were happy and the planets were aligned,I got an immediate response from Jim (K2TTP) in N.Y ,a 20 min. QSO at 579.Went on for several more contacts as far as OH. and NC usually wiped out by QRM,a great time until company showed up.Who ever said QRP is a challenge must lead an easy life.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:35:11 AM by W1JKA » Logged
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:36 AM »

Ain't that the truth

About four years ago I had just finished building my MFJ cub for 20. I realized I didn't have any kind of wattmeter so I used the meter on the MFJ loop tuner, just wanted to see max output. The antenna sits indoors in an unused room. Figured firing out a couple of watts on an indoor antenna wasn't going to QRM anyone, right?
Got the rig peaked and immediately heard a strong CQ from a guy in 6 land. (I live in MN). Thought, "what the heck", answered and had a great QSO. The cub was still naked on the bench.
Next day with same antenna worked ME and Nova Scotia with the cub. Really not even trying. Both coasts, indoor antenna, with my very first kit built rig. Jeeze it was actually kinda easy. Thats the way it is, some times when the planets align and the karma is good it all just comes together.
Congrats on your adventure.

73 de WB0FDJ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »

JKA, I think you got MY share of good luck for the weekend.  On Saturday it was a pretty morning and the weather has turned fairly warm here in NC.  So I hauled the 817 and a gel-cell out, hooked them up, had trouble with the antenna I wanted to use and spent a half-hour fiddling with that, and finally got ready to have a little QRP fun in the back yard.

I heard a CQ from WT0S on 17m and answered him ... or TRIED to.  Turned out my homebrew paddles apparently got bent out of alignment in storage over the winter.  And I didn't bother to CHECK them before I answered Don's CQ.  :-(  I kept trying to make a basic exchange but the dot paddle either didn't work at all, or it sent lots of extra dots.  I couldn't even get a clean "SRI" out.  :-(  I finally finished the QSO, embarrassed about how bad my code was ... and just then the rain started and I had to start hauling stuff back into the house.

Yep.  JKA, I do believe you got your own share of good luck for the weekend, and MY share too.  :-/
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »

We also had beautiful spring weather this past weekend. Sunny and temps about 70F. I brought the KX1 out to the deck and tossed my long wire antenna into the trees. I made some contacts in the Florida QSO Party as well has a nice QSO on 30m (unfortunately cut short when the band changed). I think my power output was about 1 - 1.5w on the internal alkalines. Worked several stations in FL and one in OH. Heard some DX but they had small pileups. It was certainly a nice day to get outside and operate!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »

Re:AC4RD
    Your unfortunate paddle fiasco reminds me of my first outside QRP trip after returning to the hobby,I was using my old Bencher BY-1  paddles and due to the proliferation of the spring blackflies and mosquitoes my springs and contact points were soon a mash of squished goo and useless.Ever since then when I go portable I use my great grandad's 100+ year old Signal Electric straight key and never have a problem,apparently the various flying insects don't  like the chemical smell of the old green verdigris on the brass.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

Your unfortunate paddle fiasco reminds me of my first outside QRP trip after returning to the hobby,I was using my old Bencher BY-1  paddles and due to the proliferation of the spring blackflies and mosquitoes my springs and contact points were soon a mash of squished goo and useless.

Ewww!!  Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: