Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital interface suggestions  (Read 3031 times)
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

Hi all,
I currently have a Yaesu VX-8 HT and am wondering about interfaces for digital operation outside of APRS (PSK31, RTTY, etc.).  My only limiting consideration is I would like an interface that can be used for more than 1 radio when I add other radios to my gear in the future. Any thoughts or advice would be great!

-Nate
KB1VEJ
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »

Not sure If, there's a"One size fits all"  when It  comes to interfaces? I'm sure you'd have to make some changes to the interface? But, not knowing what the future radio(s) are it would be practically impossible to say.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

People who get Tigetronic's "SignaLink USB" interfaces seem to have less trouble, on average, than buyers of others.  It's $100 (with cable), but it solves some problems very neatly.

In your place, I'd phone Tigertronics, and find out if they have experience with handi-talkie interfaces.  They have lots of available adapters -- maybe one for your HT.   That saves a lot of trouble.

There's probably a "plain wire" cable as well -- the SignaLink on one end, and four wires (or more) on the other. 

To use that with my Yaesu VX-170, you'd need an adapter (from Yaesu, or others) that brings the HT's 4-contact phone jack out into three, 2-contact phone jacks:

.     speaker / headphone ;

.     mic (which might have bias on it, which would need to have a blocking capacitor);

.     PTT

Connecting those three jacks to a SignaLink would give you what you want.

.             Charles
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

I was leaning towards the Signal Link USB but I figured I would throw the question out there to see what people use/like.  Thanks for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: