Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was the OD5NJ thread locked/Registerd mail to Middle East  (Read 3082 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »

WTF?Huh....Seriously, why was the thread locked???.....I wanted to respond to NI0C's comment about registered mail to the middle east.....at any rate, what I wanted to say was:  Oh, that's just great Chuck....It's bad enough another week as farted on by with no ZL9HR card in the mail, and now you are saying the money I spent on registered mail may not get me my Bahrain confirmations???....that's the last thing I wanted to hear......

V
KA3NRX

P.S. OD5ZZ's card came in the mail today....he has a manager NI5DX, which was I think posted on another thread....if you can work Walid, it's an easy card to get with no waiting around.....

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »

Most likely because of the politics and religion topics on those threads that don't have much to do with DXing. Eham is available worldwide and amateur radio ops around the world participate no matter their government and or their religious beliefs.

I think we should stick to DX'ing, and as another posted, respect others' politics, governments, and religious beliefs. And if somebody has a problem with a certain DXCC entity that person is (as Chuck, NI0C, stated) free to not work the place and they will have made their own private statement of disapproval. There are plenty of places one can demonstrate, protest, etc... in public without drawing amateur radio and, in particular, DXing into it.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »

KA3NRX wrote:
Seriously, why was the thread locked???.....I wanted to respond to NI0C's comment about registered mail to the middle east.....at any rate, what I wanted to say was:  Oh, that's just great Chuck....It's bad enough another week as farted on by with no ZL9HR card in the mail, and now you are saying the money I spent on registered mail may not get me my Bahrain confirmations???....that's the last thing I wanted to hear......

I was not making any comment on the safety of Registered mail in the Middle East or anywhere else.  Your mention of registered mail reminded me of the poor delivery service I've experienced at this end with registered mail and I provided a link to a previous discussion of that. The delivery issue seems to stem from incompetence and laziness by a few USPS delivery persons rather than theft or security.

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »

NU4B wrote:
I think we should stick to DX'ing, and as another posted, respect others' politics, governments, and religious beliefs. And if somebody has a problem with a certain DXCC entity that person is (as Chuck, NI0C, stated) free to not work the place and they will have made their own private statement of disapproval. There are plenty of places one can demonstrate, protest, etc... in public without drawing amateur radio and, in particular, DXing into it.

I don't recall making any statements (in the referenced thread, at least) concerning who people should work or not work.  My comments had to do with registered mail, as stated above to Vince. 

I believe the thread was locked based on some of the personal attacks that occurred prior to my posting.  My posting was an attempt to bring the discussion back to QSL mailing.  BTW, I've had excellent QSL response from OD5NJ, and he gave me many new band entities confirmed.

Chuck  NI0C     
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:10:39 PM by NI0C » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »

NU4B wrote:

I don't recall making any statements (in the referenced thread, at least) concerning who people should work or not work.  My comments had to do with registered mail, as stated above to Vince. 

I believe the thread was locked based on some of the personal attacks that occurred prior to my posting.  My posting was an attempt to bring the discussion back to QSL mailing.  BTW, I've had excellent QSL response from OD5NJ, and he gave me many new band entities confirmed.

Chuck  NI0C     

Sorry Chuck - I must have misread or confused 2 threads. DUH! My sincere apologies.

I will say it then - anybody who feels a DX station or Dxpedition doesn't meet their criteria - for any reason - is free not to work the station. There are (give or take) 200 different countries around the world all with different forms of government and many different religions. Communication (i.e. amateur radio) breaches differences. Amateur radio and DXing cross borders and brings very different people together with a common bond - radio electronics and international communication.
There are other places to voice, protest, and air ones political and religious beliefs.

Who ever thought a table tennis game would change the world the way it did? 
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

Two words on easy Bahrain confirmation: A92IO and LOTW.

I currently have my sights on DXCC challenge 1500 level, and if I wasn't specifically picking off LOTW confirmations and instead was going direct, wow would that get expensive fast at a couple bucks a pop. Buro will be a certain part of it too.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

NU4B wrote:
My sincere apologies.

No problem, Larry.

Cheers & 73,
Chuck  NI0C
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

Aw c'mon guys....Politics and religion are fun topics....they add spice to the conversation!....lol....I don't know how you can avoid talking politics when it comes to North Korea and the efforts being made to try and get it on the air......but..whatever....

Chuck...sorry I misinterperted your comments.....I am a little bugged by the whole ZL9HR card thing, which has now been worked out.....The last thing I wanted to hear was that you had issues with Registered Mail while sending to the ME..Especially with all that money I spent......

V
KA3NRX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

WTF?Huh....Seriously, why was the thread locked???.....I wanted to respond to NI0C's comment about registered mail to the middle east.....at any rate, what I wanted to say was:  Oh, that's just great Chuck....It's bad enough another week as farted on by with no ZL9HR card in the mail, and now you are saying the money I spent on registered mail may not get me my Bahrain confirmations???....that's the last thing I wanted to hear......

V
KA3NRX

Vinny.... I have confirmed both A92IO and A92GR over the years, with no mail problem whatsoever.  GL.......  Gene  AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »

U da man Geno...we'll be looking forward to that.....Things are looking up!....

V
KA3NRX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »

Personally I think sending cards via registered mail is not really a good idea.
In many countries when registered mail comes in, all the person gets is a notification card delivered in their regular mail and at that point they need to go to a postal hub with the notification and proper ID in order to pick up the letter/parcel. In my own personal experience this can be a one hour ordeal plus driving time.  I would bet most dx hams will not bother with that hassle and will just leave the mail at hub unless its  something they are expecting or it is from a known person.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »

I just noticed there were 3 threads locked, the OD5NJ, the 8Q7KP thread, and the BIG announcement thread. Looks like anything that mentions religion or politics is off limits, however I don't care too much for draconian censorship by forum moderators either.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:39:50 PM by K7KB » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »

Personally I think sending cards via registered mail is not really a good idea.
In many countries when registered mail comes in, all the person gets is a notification card delivered in their regular mail and at that point they need to go to a postal hub with the notification and proper ID in order to pick up the letter/parcel. In my own personal experience this can be a one hour ordeal plus driving time.  I would bet most dx hams will not bother with that hassle and will just leave the mail at hub unless its  something they are expecting or it is from a known person.

Yes this may be true, but in these cases, the actual operators recommend the practice....So if what you say is true, some operators who recommend qsling by registered mail probably don't mind the inconveniences you mention....

V
KA3NRX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

Exactly. If the op recommends reg mail, that's what I go for.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

I wonder if OQRS (i.e. clublog) will be more widely accepted by DXers in the future.  I just don't see any reasons why a rare DX station needs more cards after a certain point.  To my knowledge clublog doesn't charge for this service but I could be wrong.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: