Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BY activity picking up?  (Read 1136 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »

Not sure if it was the Worked all Provinces of China contest last week causing a pick-up in activity... but I seem to be finding BY on CW quite often the past couple weeks even outside the contest.

Another thing might be is that I talked with a local contester about BY activity a few weeks ago, he mentioned WAPC and gave me a few tips - maybe I was just looking in the wrong places before. He also told me there are many BY little guns on 40M CW, 7025 ballpark, in our early morning/their evening, but me lacking a 40M beam haven't heard them yet :-)

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »

I could sure use a qso to China for an ATNO.....When???...Oh When???..... Roll Eyes........

V
KA3NRX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

I could sure use a qso to China for an ATNO.....When???...Oh When???..... Roll Eyes........

V
KA3NRX

Lots of BY activity shown on DX Summit.
 Go to SEARCH, just type in BY and select 1000.  Really active lately as mentioned above. 
GL, 73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

V
KA3NRX

I worked BY5CD on 20m at 1454z on 4/26.  He was almost S9 here.  I looked up his call on QRZ and that's one heck of a station for a middle school.  They are running a 4x4 stack on 20m Shocked  GL on your BY hunt.

Jonathan W6GX
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »

I can hardly claim that I've had a lot of QSO's with China overall... less than 20, but most of them in the past few weeks. I suspect that part of that is WAPC last week but wonder if something else is up. Holiday time there? Labor day (May day) is nearby, I think at one time that was a week-long holiday in China.

Usual time is late afternoon say 2200UTC on 20M or 15M. I also note I have a handful on 20M, 10M and today 17M in mid-morning... 1300-400UTC... the 10M ones may have been long path.

I notice many VR's being spotted past couple of days too (although I haven't worked them.)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »

V
KA3NRX
I'm with you... see the spots but have never actually heard them...  Huh

73, -WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »

I'm with you... see the spots but have never actually heard them...  Huh

73, -WX2S.

Hi Steve, Vinnie,

That used to happen to me all the time when I only had a G5RV at 30'.  Once I got my beam/tower it was an eye opener.  All of a sudden I could hear spotted stations that I couldn't hear before.  A good yagi makes a tremendous difference.  I'm pretty sure BY will be easy to bad using a yagi from your location.  Even a modest two-element yagi on the roof top will be better than a dipole or vertical.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

You can work BY with wire antennas, you just won't win a pileup so you have to hunt them the old fashioned way. Heard a BY on 15 last night, around 0000 UTC maybe... Good signal. Try 15 or 20m around local dusk on the east coast for BY.

ex W4HFK
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »

Guys,

There are number of BY's  who are very active on the band.
Look forward to working you!

(I'll be in Dayton this year,btw)

Dale BA4TB
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »

Guys,

There are number of BY's  who are very active on the band.
Look forward to working you!
(I'll be in Dayton this year,btw)

Hi Dale,
Got you a couple of nights ago on 15 CW. Light into New Jersey around 0200z but still pretty good. Thanks for the Q and hopefully I'll see you in Dayton. I'll be at the DX banquet,Contest banquet and probably checking cards for DXCC during the day on Saturday at some point.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: