Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 1088 times)
N7KFD

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »

Just needed to grumble about some of the reviews posted here, if you don't actually own the rig don't post a review of it.
Paying with a radio in a store for 30 minutes does not give you enough data to make an educated critique of a particular piece of equipment! It grinds me up when I read a review that states, "Played with this rig at my friends house for twenty minutes and I give it a 3", or, "Listened to it in the store with headphones on for an hour and I give it a 2". You can't give an informative review of anything after playing with it for twenty minutes or even an hour or two. With all of the features packed into modern radio's no one should post a review until they've owned the equipment for at least three months. And with that being said I give this article a 4.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:33 AM »

I disagree. I you are skilled and can quickly adapt to rigs it is a very competent test.You can also rate how easy the rig is to use and exploit. Plus when at a store where you can play them side by side (which I have done many times) you can quickly see rigs weakness and strengths. I most recently played with a IC718, FT450, FT897, FT950 and TS590 all at once side by side for nearly a hour. (receive only) Also it was not the first operating one for any of those rigs too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N0JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »

I tend to agree.  I usually disregard reviews 0-3 month reviews entirely, unless that's all there is.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

I tend to agree.  I usually disregard reviews 0-3 month reviews entirely, unless that's all there is.

When you use same rig for several months you get used to its limitations. When you play several side by side on same signal, same antenna you can learn a lot fast if you know how to adapt quickly and use new rigs. And I am a operator that digs into menus to exploit feature too. Last time I focused mostly on weak/strong signal clarity/fidelity, easy of use, noise reduction and selectivity in SSB mode.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »

I hate to rant,but my biggest complaint is when I hear,"Too many menues." This is 2013 folks,and unless you own a Drake TR4 or Kenwood TS-520,830S,etc. you will have menues. They are not difficult,just read the manual. Most menu items are set and forget anyway. Since I use power ouput menu selection frequently,I simply leave it on that menu number so when I go into the menu it`s right there. The other one that annoys me is,"You will need the software cd to program it." What`s so difficult about putting 10 repeater frequencies into memory? Unless you`re dealing with 100 memories,that`s different.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »

I hate to rant,but my biggest complaint is when I hear,"Too many menues." This is 2013 folks,and unless you own a Drake TR4 or Kenwood TS-520,830S,etc. you will have menues. They are not difficult,just read the manual. Most menu items are set and forget anyway. Since I use power ouput menu selection frequently,I simply leave it on that menu number so when I go into the menu it`s right there. The other one that annoys me is,"You will need the software cd to program it." What`s so difficult about putting 10 repeater frequencies into memory? Unless you`re dealing with 100 memories,that`s different.

All new rigs have menus but some of them are more dependent for routine operations than others. There is no escaping it.  Yaesu and Icom tend to be more menu dependent than Kenwood in their class range.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »

All new rigs have menus but some of them are more dependent for routine operations than others. There is no escaping it.  Yaesu and Icom tend to be more menu dependent than Kenwood in their class range.
That is true,Kenwoods are the most user friendly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: