Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom v8000 programming question  (Read 4120 times)
CAMR

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:23:22 AM »

I am having one heck of a time programming my V8000. Yes, I know, welcome the club.

I cannot seem to get the repeater tone to transmit, although I believe I have it programmed with the output freq. in memory. One thing that I have noted is that in the initial set mode, there is a repeater setting R2 which "activates for duplex and tone", rather than the default R1 which is described as "duplex only". Do I need to set it to R2 to get the tone to transmit to open the repeater?
KK4CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »

if you believe you have the correct tone in try pressing FUNC + 7 on mic  till the tone icon comes on or TONE/T-SCAN button on main unit till the tone comes on
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:27:42 AM »

I am having one heck of a time programming my V8000. Yes, I know, welcome the club....

...Do I need to set it to R2 to get the tone to transmit to open the repeater?

Yes.  Another thing I noticed also was that it made things easier to set up the tones for both transmit AND receive.  Some Icom rigs require that for the tone to be transmitted--I don't know why.  For example, my T7H handheld won't open a tone controlled repeater unless the set for both transmit and receive tones.
CAMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:51:00 AM »

Thanks so very much for the tips, guys. I also have an ID51 HT which I have had no trouble programming. The V8000 is a beast of a different colour. I will be back in the truck tonight to give it another try. I will take a beer, but only one. We don't need me AND the repeater kerchunked!!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »

Just a suggestion, but look into the programming software and cable if you still can't get it to work.  I don't have one, but I understand that the software makes it very easy to set everything up properly--including naming the various frequencies by both frequency and whatever tag you may want to use to ID it.
CAMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

K1CJS- Thank you for your help. I ordered the RT Systems software and cable last evening. I also ordered the same for my ID-51. Sometimes it is just easier to give in, admit defeat and get on with life. Any of our forum members who are married will understand.
Once again, thank you for your help, and interest in my problem.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

I use the software Icom and have done the manual route also. Never quite figured what the bank option would do for me. But I don't think I had to decode the tone for RCV. The only drawback from programming from the pc is I got lazy and forgot the manual method and now have to keep the manual in the car for the long haul trips.

Maybe one day I will hear you on a DSTAR repeater. with your ht.

Tom Kb3hg
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »

The bank option is nice--if you do traveling between two points and tend to stay at those points between the traveling, such as between a winter home and a summer home.  You have the repeaters at the winter home area in one bank and at the summer home area in another.

You can also use it if you wanted to scan frequencies--but only certain ones at one time.  You set up ALL your frequencies in one bank and the few you want to pay closer attention to in another--keeping in mind that you can have the same frequency in both banks.  That's useful for those in emergency comms who want to have one radio for all purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: