Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Systems Question  (Read 6025 times)
KD8TZC

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »

First, let me preface this, I am not asking anyone on how to pirate software.  This is about legally owned versions of the software where you own it and have the serial number.

I currently own the software by RT Systems (and have my own serial numbers) for the FT-8900R and the FT-2900R.  I always make backup copies of my CD's onto my network drive as CD's can go bad, get damaged, or get lost.  Normally, I will just create an ISO image of the CD and if I ever need to reinstall it, I can mount the image and all is well.

It appears that RT Systems doesn't want you to do this.  In the past, I have come across companies who said you must use the CD to do the install, and mounting the ISO normally will work.  When I do that with the RT Systems software though, it does not work.  When I get to the serial number input, it says that it is invalid (or something along those lines).  If I install with the actually CD, it works just fine though (so I know he serial number is okay).

Has anyone found a way to get this to work?  I really hate investing in software that I am held captive my the company who produces it.  I should be able to make copies FOR MYSELF as archival copies to store away in case something where to happen.  Yes, I know there are other vendors out there (who are much easier to deal with), but since I have money already invested in these two products, I'd like to know if there is a solution to the dilemma.

Thanks,

John
KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »

" I'd like to know if there is a solution to the dilemma."

Simple, don't buy from companies that impose these types of restrictions.
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Quote from: KG4RUL link=topic=89572.msg669712#msg669712 date=1366731586

[/quote
Apparently you missed where I said I realize there are other vendors out there, but I have already invested in these products.  What I am looking for is a constructive solution to the dilemma.

John
KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »

Stupid question.. can you burn another CD (that works) from your image? A lot of the old games would go out and look for the right CD but it had to be mounted in the hardware drive (I'm guessing that was detected thru the driver but, what do I know? I'm not a programmer. Don't even play one on TV.). A mounted soft image wouldnt' cut it. It's an added step but it does get you that failsafe... assuming it works.

In theory, that should give you an exact duplicate of your original, unless there are modified tracks and that kinda stuff.

Good luck.

Chris
AK4KZ
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »

Chris... I tried that, and that didn't work either.  I'm trying something now with a Mac that I own, where I can do a disk copy at the Unix level.  There are a number of options for it that I have to work through though, but I would think this should do it....just not sure the steps yet.  I think the issue I am running into is Windows not doing an exact copy.  I don't think it is copying the block size correctly as the MD5 hash doesn't come out the same as the original.

This is a PITA, and I will never do business with RT Systems again (at least with their software...).

John
KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »

Quote from: KG4RUL link=topic=89572.msg669712#msg669712 date=1366731586

[/quote
Apparently you missed where I said I realize there are other vendors out there, but I have already invested in these products.  What I am looking for is a constructive solution to the dilemma.

John
KD8TZC

Nope, I did read what you wrote - the advice was for the future and, apparently, your subsequent posts indicate that you got the point.  IF enough people stop buying? 

BTW Some of their cables are deliberately made to not work with other software.
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:41 AM »

The one for the FT2900 worked just fine with G4HFQ's software, so that was good.

Who else makes cables that are easily obtained?  I only know of them and AES only sells the cables with the software.  I know there are other places to buy things like this, but AES is right around the corner from me, so that makes it easy to come by.  I'm not looking to get any new radios any time soon, but it would be good knowledge to have for when I need to buy a new programing cable.

Thanks,

John

John - KD8TZC
KD4EXS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:11:32 AM »

Here's RT Systems explanation: https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/kb_results.asp?ID=4

"The RT Systems programmers must be installed from the original CD. This is true whether the CD was purchased as part of a kit from your local dealer or as an electronic download that required you to make the CD."

I'm not thrilled about this either, but that's just how their software works.

John
KD4EXS
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Here's RT Systems explanation: https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/kb_results.asp?ID=4

"The RT Systems programmers must be installed from the original CD. This is true whether the CD was purchased as part of a kit from your local dealer or as an electronic download that required you to make the CD."

I'm not thrilled about this either, but that's just how their software works.

John
KD4EXS

If you can do the electronic download, then save that file and burn a new CD whenever you need?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: