Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 368 ft. of #14 copper house wire + 100 ft. of window line + 1.5 acres of land=??  (Read 3628 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »

You need enough weight on the end to get the rope back down.  About 6 - 8 oz works
well for me.  I swing the weight underhand and fling it upwards - gets me to 50+ feet
without too much trouble.

I've had better luck with a bow and arrow, especially when the arrow is weighted by
taping nails to the head, or better yet, stucking the point in a 30 calibre shell casing
filed with sand or lead.

I've heard good reports about the sling shots designed for launching tennis balls
for dogs to chase, but haven't tried one.

For serious antenna work, a compressed air "spud gun" is probably the best bet.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:25 AM »

The 30 ft. mast I have are occupied with antennas.  I need to devise a better way to get pulleys/ropes up into trees.  I use to use the slingshot method but I think there has to be better ways. Never was very easy with a slingshot.

I too was lacking in skill/strength with the slingshot.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/ shows something very similar to what I use. (I built mine myself, some construction details are different, but end result looks very similar to their CSV19).

What is more practical than putting a line over some given branch in the middle of the tree, is to just put the line over the top of the tree.

Tim.
KB8VIV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »

I'm particularly fond of my loop.  Mine is cut for 80 meters, and it's only up about 25 ft, but I have no problems working plenty of dx with 100 watts.  Worked this guy this past Saturday, on 17 meters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Desmoface/Radio/RA7TQSL_zps16c3d868.jpg

I'm no engineer, and I am certainly not as experienced as others here, but it was not hard to put up, and it's stayed up for many, many years and it easilly works all bands between 10-80 with the rigs tuner (except 15).  It's not as good as a vertical on 10-20, but it's perfectly usable.  Just something to consider, if you have the mounting points. 73's and good luck with whatever you do.

kb8viv
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:48:37 AM by KB8VIV » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

I taped a 30 ft telescoping mast to a painters pole to drop a lead weight over precisely the branch I want.  Works great when you are surrounded by homes in suburbia--don't have to worry about where an errant projectile will end up.

Zack Lau W1VT
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

I have had tremendous success with the EZ Hang sling shot. I have shot over 60 foot pine trees easily.
The fishing line weight and then an extra step with the fluorescent colored light-weight string then another step to attach the actual Dacron rope for the antenna wire.
How tall are your trees, Michael?
50-60 feet is a starting point, for an "L". Others here would have suggestions for a vertical designed for DX on 160 and 80 meters. Many use the shortened vertical approach with success.
Fred
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

You can buy mast material from DX Engineering and design your own 160-80 meter Vert, and run as many as you can ground radials, and a simple band switching tuner at the base of the antenna, and you're good to go for DX.
I think a lot of responders forgot that you are looking more toward 160 and 80 and a dipole isn't going to give DX unless it is a half wave length high from the ground. I do not know why this keeps getting skipped over in this thread for a horizontal wire antenna (dipole) A Vertical would be your best bet or inverted "L".
Take Care
Fred
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

It's all a matter of what room you have available, what kind of supports, and how much trouble you want to go to.  I have had very nice luck with an 80 meter full wave loop fed with ladder line and a tuner.  It didn't 'like' 15 meters for some reason, but I didn't use 15 meters anyway.  It can be 'made' to work on almost any band with a little effort (@#$ thing even worked on 2 meters).  If I'm very lucky, some part of that loop is over 20 feet off the ground but certainly not all of it.  Best thing since sliced bread?  Nope, but it did most everything I asked of it.  Loops have their own 'qwerks' and are not as 'easy' to use as a typical dipole.  Same for that ladder line.  But, in my particular situation it all did pretty good.
 - Paul

(You ain't lived till you've had half the wrenches from the tool box hanging from trees where they got hung up trying to throw that @#$ line over a tree!  Oh well.  Stops people from borrowing them anyway.)
KB8VIV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »

Interesting, mine also doesn't like 15, I'm feeding mine with plain ole coax.

Steve

I have had very nice luck with an 80 meter full wave loop fed with ladder line and a tuner.  It didn't 'like' 15 meters for some reason, but I didn't use 15 meters anyway.  - Paul
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Update....I've done absolutely nothing so far! Now that it's getting warmer though, I'm starting to get the fever. I was out in the yard today looking at the trees. I have trees and branches where I could lay out a pretty good sized horizontal loop if I can figure out getting lines over the branches with one of the already mentioned suggestions. I'm not sure about putting up a vertically polarized loop. Have to look into that some more. One question about loops, vertical or horizontal.  Do they need to be a wavelength long at the lowest frequency or can they be some odd length? For instance, if I use all 368 ft. of wire, that's over a wavelength on 80 but short of one on 160.  I know the ramifications of short antennas but what about one that is overly long like for instance the 368 ft. on 80 meters?
Michael, W4HIJ
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »

Update....I've done absolutely nothing so far! Now that it's getting warmer though, I'm starting to get the fever. I was out in the yard today looking at the trees. I have trees and branches where I could lay out a pretty good sized horizontal loop if I can figure out getting lines over the branches with one of the already mentioned suggestions. I'm not sure about putting up a vertically polarized loop. Have to look into that some more. One question about loops, vertical or horizontal.  Do they need to be a wavelength long at the lowest frequency or can they be some odd length? For instance, if I use all 368 ft. of wire, that's over a wavelength on 80 but short of one on 160.  I know the ramifications of short antennas but what about one that is overly long like for instance the 368 ft. on 80 meters?
Michael, W4HIJ

Michael,

I am in the middle of building a Half Square for 80, 40 and 30 meters for my small lot I have 2 40ft trees 150 feet apart with a a north/south direction of radiation. Please read this on the Half Suqare http://rudys.typepad.com/ant/files/antenna_halfsquare_array.pdf
Mine is going up in a couple of months because I am putting the 30M up this weekend to test out first then the 40M one until fall then the 80M one will go up. A freind and me were talking about low band antennas for dx'ing and since dipole are NVIS at low hights I talked him into a Half Square he put up his 40M on Monday and he is hearing and working stations he can not hear or just in the noise on his rotatable dipole at 60ft and they are S7 to S9 on the Half Square at 50ft.
I modeled the 80M HS on 4NEC2 and the swr was 1:40:1 on the design frequency and doing a Sweep of 1MHZ to 20Mhz there are good dips for the 160M and 60M band that a tuner should handle fine. You have enough wire for the 80M Half Square. All you need is 2 trees 140 to 150 apart in the direction you need for the antenna pattern to be broadside to and 40 to 60 feet high.

Roland AH6RR
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 05:49:03 AM »

I have built most of the suggested antennas mentioned here and really preffer ed three because I like Dx.

The Inverted L
 can be sloped some a 10 degree angle is as if straight up as far as modeling indications  The vertical part can be made to be longer than the horizontal part some and traps can be installed for multi band purposes.

The elongated loop rectangle fed midway on a vertical side.
The horizontal wires serve as transmission lines and only a small remnant of horizontal radiation is produced, The vertical sections radiate the majority of power that manifests at low angle trajectory towards the horizon. The antenna is capable of very quiet reception relatively speaking as compared to other antennas and can be low like just above and out of reach because the antenna is behaving as a phased verticals the horizontal to vertical length ratio is better when made at a ratio of 3:1 horizontal dimension 3 to vertical dimension 1.

This antenna is self contained does not need a radial system even though it is a vertically radiating system.

W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 05:51:01 AM »

Should read preferred 2
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

After looking over the lot again, I'm now toying with the idea of a vertical loop either in a somewhat square configuration or a triangular one.  I like the idea of triangular because then I only have to worry about getting the one attachment point of the apex to considerable height. A square involves getting two pulleys up high. Of course neither will be perfect anyway, there will be variation in the shape. I just need to do some research on various  feedpoints and the advantages/disadvantages of using them.
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: