Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what shack upgrades are you going to make for P5?  (Read 6159 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

I suspect that their signals will be exponentially weaker.

That depends on what the legal limit is for P5. If there isn't one perhaps Paul could help propose a reasonable value Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »

I would seriously hope that if they were to get a license and are permitted to operate, that they will *not* go the Clublog Greenie route for this one. Due to its rarity and the chance of officials changing their minds a few days into it, I seriously believe they should (at least for the first week) limit each callsign in their logs to once per mode, period, with maybe one insurance for those stations who don't have internet access and don't want to miss out on a new one. If they're able to operate for more than say 7-10 days, then perhaps open it up for bandfills, etc.

Sure I'd love to have P5 on 9 bands and three modes, but quite frankly, given the nature of the beast, they'd make more friends everywhere by limiting Qs until the rates start to drop.

Not that I think we'll ever have to worry about such an eventuality for the foreseeable future. Please prove me wrong, of course!

I will be happy with just one band any mode for a ATNO and JA's and HL's are like shooting ducks in a pond here Grin Grin Grin.

But I will not hold my breath, unless Dennis Rodman is on the team then I will know it's for sure.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

Is there something new happening with P5 that goes beyond what Paul said in that thread about a week ago?  If not don't you think it's jumping the gun to be planning station Mods on an activation that is so dicey?  Personally I will do something if Paul says something more concrete and until then I think we should avoid adding any more pressure on the man until that day comes.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

I think I will set up four 300 foot towers with mono band stacks. That's because I will hit the lotto before P5 gets activated...

But just in case Paul and crew pull it off before then, I hope to at least get the SteppIR fiberglass tube put back on and director 1 re-enabled.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »

I think I will set up four 300 foot towers with mono band stacks. That's because I will hit the lotto before P5 gets activated...
But just in case Paul and crew pull it off before then, I hope to at least get the SteppIR fiberglass tube put back on and director 1 re-enabled.

Or you can just drive over here and work them from a station that just gets the job done, every time. Kinda like Apple without the fanboys following me around Grin

I still say get that tower up another 30 or 40 feet, add a stack of C31XRs with phase control and a TIC-ring, load it for 160 transmit and put a WARC beam at the top. Maybe a nice 50 foot boom 20m monobander too.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »

My upgrades are complete: TH-7DX at 70' and a legal-limit amp. I also have a clear take-off in both the short path and long-path directions to P5.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:08 PM »

My upgrades are complete: TH-7DX at 70' and a legal-limit amp. I also have a clear take-off in both the short path and long-path directions to P5.

The only upgrade I need to do is raise the antenna another 6 to 12 inches on the roof tower P5 is to my NW and at 1400 feet and the coastline is 4.5 miles away in that direction. Talk about a low takeoff angle no 300ft tower needed here and I have a SteppIR though be it a 3 element.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:20 AM »

Is there something new happening with P5 that goes beyond what Paul said in that thread about a week ago?  If not don't you think it's jumping the gun to be planning station Mods on an activation that is so dicey?  Personally I will do something if Paul says something more concrete and until then I think we should avoid adding any more pressure on the man until that day comes.

Apparently you have already forgotten 7O6T where it was pretty much: "OK guys, we are here! Good luck!". Only a couple of days warning and they were operational. And if permission were to come from North Korean officials, I doubt the Intrepid team would waste much time in putting it on the air just in case those same officials suddenly had a change of heart. So there is nothing wrong in being prepared Smiley

John K7KB
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:17:52 AM by K7KB » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 06:52:57 AM »

Or you can just drive over here and work them from a station that just gets the job done, every time. Kinda like Apple without the fanboys following me around Grin

I still say get that tower up another 30 or 40 feet, add a stack of C31XRs with phase control and a TIC-ring, load it for 160 transmit and put a WARC beam at the top. Maybe a nice 50 foot boom 20m monobander too.

Laugh all you want but remember I worked 3Y0E a full MONTH before anyone around here could even hear him... Smiley

But I'll keep your offer in mind just in case.

As for the C31XR, I'll pass. I enjoy having a 3 element yagi on 40 and 30 and the instant direction reversal has been pretty handy.

I think if I had to do something like what you'd propose, I'd get a SteppIR DB36 or DB42 if I had the money. They are lighter weight and actually better f/b than the full sized antennas.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »

Gain on 30 is nice, I'll grant you that, but I really have to wonder how much of an advantage your 3 elements are on 40 compared to my 2 elements on a shorter boom. 2dB maybe? The Delta 240 is rated at 4.3dB over dipole and your MonstIR is what, about 5-6?. All I have on 30 is a rotatable dipole element at 85', but consider that my stats are identical on both 30 and 40m (306 worked, 205 confirmed), I have to wonder whether that added gain on 30 is really worth it in the long run.

The instant reversal is nice, but is it worth the added problems you've experienced? I can turn my array 180 degrees in about 20-25 seconds, by which time the amp is tuned, split is set and software is ready.

I think the SteppIRs are great when you can have only one antenna and feedline but in your case, Force-12 or Optibeam aluminium would probably suit your needs far more. Obviously you're not going to change it out, but should anything happen to what you have, seriously, consider F12 or Opti instead, for the maintenance cost and hassle reduction if nothing else.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »

How can you compare stats when N2RJ says he's lucky if he gets to play radio an hour a day?

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »

I have to wonder whether that added gain on 30 is really worth it in the long run.

Terrain is a huge variable - and HFTA would be the best way to compare both QTH's and configuration. Just going by manufacturers specs - or even EZNec (which assumes flat ground) doesn't tell the real story.

2 dB can mean the difference in hearing the DX or not - but that also depends on QTH. If you are down in a bowl - (like I am) - 2 dB is HUGE - and has made all the difference between hearing and working them of being buried down in the noise. If you have a great QTH - on flat ground or up on a hill with no obstructions in the path you are beaming, then S9 +20 compared with S9 +22 is moot.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »

NOTHING !

I'm like Ryan...

I MUST win the PowerBall or MegaMillions jackpot first.

Social security just doesn't cut the mustard.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »

I have to wonder whether that added gain on 30 is really worth it in the long run.

Terrain is a huge variable - and HFTA would be the best way to compare both QTH's and configuration. Just going by manufacturers specs - or even EZNec (which assumes flat ground) doesn't tell the real story.

Ryan's a close friend of mine and I did an HFTA for him two years ago. He beats me like a red-headed stepchild to Europe, I clean his clock over the pole and JA. He's 550' or more higher than me above sea level and has a clear shot east and northeast (I'm blocked 020 to 220 True). So if anything, he has it better overall than me.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »

How can you compare stats when N2RJ says he's lucky if he gets to play radio an hour a day?

If that much. More like 20 minutes before bed when propagation is at its crappiest.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: