Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what shack upgrades are you going to make for P5?  (Read 5681 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »

Ok for the almost three years I have been actively chasing DX, P5 has ostensibly been the holy grail. I now know that 7O6T is/was a miracle as well.  I was still a newbie when 7O6T was active, but dumb luck got me in their log.

My question for everyone is, with Paul N6PSE announcing another upcoming miracle, what is everyone going to do to get their station up to the task of getting in their log?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »

My station is as good as it is going to get. Maybe some improvements for 80m and 160m but P5 is not in the sights on those 2 bands. I am ready. Optibeam OB11-5 at 87 1/2 feet should give me a chance. At least better than calling BS7H on 20m with a G5RV at 50 feet..an exercise in futility...hi hi

73 Mark N1UK
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »

I have the rig and the power to get through, but no directional antennas. So my goal, living in HOA hell is to get a Moxon, or 2 ele Yagi up on a poll or in a tree pointed at Asia. I have been looking at the options, and I ASSUME that 15m is going to be my best bet as long as the sun keeps producing spots. 15m gives me a band that is most always open to Asia in the evening, AND it would allow me to make an antenna small enough to hide in a tree. Or easy enough to be manageable on a temporary mast.

If I get enough time before the DXpedition is a go, I might be able to make several upperband Yagis or nest a few Moxons together.

Now this is fun  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »

My question for everyone is, with Paul N6PSE announcing another upcoming miracle, what is everyone going to do to get their station up to the task of getting in their log?

Create a virus that will disable all K3's and Alpha amplifiers, except for those used by the P5 team of course  Grin

Actually I don't think I will need to do too much from my location to get ready for P5. I should be able to work them on at least one band. Most of the time stations in South Korea have a good signal to the West Coast. But I have a hard time imagining what the pileups are going to be like.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:49:47 PM by K7KB » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »

I almost want to buy a Pan Adapter before the DXpedition just so I can save the screen shots of the massive pileups. I am sure the pileups are going to be like nothing any of us have ever heard before.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »

I'm as ready as I can be as well. I'll be happy with one, anywhere, any mode. South Korea is always a bear for some reason, but JA has never been a problem. Same beam heading for me as all the ultra-rare ones in Asia, too. 345-350 degrees...BS7, Spratly, XX9 and Pratas. About the only thing I'll need for my shack is a landing strip for the flying pigs that will surely be in the air at the same time.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »

Assuming that the original goal of a four week operation is fulfilled, I don't think any upgrades are needed for my shack Grin  It will be the longest large scale dxpedition in recorded history.  If it's done right I think a total QSO count of 250k to 300k is a real possibility.

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

Assuming that the original goal of a four week operation is fulfilled, I don't think any upgrades are needed for my shack Grin  It will be the longest large scale dxpedition in recorded history.  If it's done right I think a total QSO count of 250k to 300k is a real possibility.

Jonathan W6GX

I hope you are right. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »

I "Might" homebrew a 12 or 15 meter Delta Loop.  That will get the job done, along with the handy-dandy Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2.5Kfx amp.

On second thought tho, probably nothing. The vertical has not let me down yet, and I work JAs and S. Korea with no problems to speak of.

BTW, if you have never used a Delta Loop, throw one together when you want a nice surprise, and you don't have to get it up high.  Around 8-10 feet off the ground will do just fine. Higher would not work as well. Don't laugh!  Try it, or read up on the old delta loop.

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »

I "Might" homebrew a 12 or 15 meter Delta Loop.  That will get the job done, along with the handy-dandy Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2.5Kfx amp.

On second thought tho, probably nothing. The vertical has not let me down yet, and I work JAs and S. Korea with no problems to speak of.

BTW, if you have never used a Delta Loop, throw one together when you want a nice surprise, and you don't have to get it up high.  Around 8-10 feet off the ground will do just fine. Higher would not work as well. Don't laugh!  Try it, or read up on the old delta loop.

73, Gene AF3Y

I have a few thousand feet of 14g wire sitting in the garage... Maybe once my knee surgeon says I can walk in the woods again, I will put one up!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »

73, Gene AF3Y

I have a few thousand feet of 14g wire sitting in the garage... Maybe once my knee surgeon says I can walk in the woods again, I will put one up!

Most specs say the delta loop has 0.5 db to 1 db gain over a dipole, and it'S obviously directional. I built a little 17m delta when I was at the SC QTH, and it really worked well. Seems quieter than a vertical as well.

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

I would seriously hope that if they were to get a license and are permitted to operate, that they will *not* go the Clublog Greenie route for this one. Due to its rarity and the chance of officials changing their minds a few days into it, I seriously believe they should (at least for the first week) limit each callsign in their logs to once per mode, period, with maybe one insurance for those stations who don't have internet access and don't want to miss out on a new one. If they're able to operate for more than say 7-10 days, then perhaps open it up for bandfills, etc.

Sure I'd love to have P5 on 9 bands and three modes, but quite frankly, given the nature of the beast, they'd make more friends everywhere by limiting Qs until the rates start to drop.

Not that I think we'll ever have to worry about such an eventuality for the foreseeable future. Please prove me wrong, of course!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »

I almost want to buy a Pan Adapter before the DXpedition just so I can save the screen shots of the massive pileups. I am sure the pileups are going to be like nothing any of us have ever heard before.

There will be so many gigawatts of callers in the ether, you will be able to light your entire house for free.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »

Nothing - I only need P5 for band fills and CW. My station and antennas are up to the task - North Korea was very easy when P5/4L4FN was active. In fact, P5 is by far the easiest ultra rare one I've worked.  Grin
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »

There will be so many gigawatts of callers in the ether, you will be able to light your entire house for free.

Not necessarily. 7O and BS7 were both equally rare and their pileups weren't DC-to-daylight. Especially 7O6T, since they had so many stations active at one time it spread things out. Scarborough in 2007 was rough but a good enough stations didn't have that bad a time. Then again, BS7 was verticals over or IN  salt water. Unless they can pull off something similar in DPRK, I suspect that their signals will be exponentially weaker.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: