Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what shack upgrades are you going to make for P5?  (Read 5662 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »

Sure Peter, post 'em up.

Here's the P5 comparison: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/463425/IRT-RJ-P5.pdf
Here's the VK0H link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/463425/IRT-RJ-Heard.pdf
Each is a 2-page document, with P1 being terrain profile and P2 being the actual HFTA comparison. Both are for 4 elements at 72' AGL on 15 metres.

As for Heard, you know that you're more than welcome to come over if you can't get them from your QTH. Or maybe I'll have the station remoted by then.
Thanks. I worked Kerguelen on a bunch of bands, when propagation was crappier, so I know I'll get through...you'll just have an easier time of it. We're both at 72' AGL. The charts show the base of your tower around 714-715' ASL; my tower base is 251' ASL. GPSs always suck at elevation calculations for some reason.

One thing I wish I had that F12 has is the tri feed. That I can never have with a SteppIR.
Yeah, I really regret cheaping out and not tri-feeding mine when I had the bucks to do it. Really would have made doing M/2 a cinch. I'm still really happy with how the XR plays, though. Wouldn't trade it for anything and if I had to do it over again the only thing I'd do is go higher and stack 'em if I could. They're frickin' DX laser beams.

I wish I had such flat terrain. Check out my terrain profile - on my QRZ.COM page . . .

But I had no problem working FT5XO on 80-17M and Crozet on 20M - and back when the SSN was 11. In fact, both were booming in here - worked FT5XO with short hatted vertical dipoles on the low bands and a 2 element yagi on 20 and 17M. 800 watts.

I also had no problem with VU7 on 40 SSB and CW and that was a very low point in the cycle too.

Amsterdam is closer, and probably a cross between Cocos Keeling (I have that 80 - 10M) and Kerguelin.

Heard Island will be tricky . . . . but doable. I have the HFTA plots for both sides of the island - and right smack in the middle is an 8000' mountain called "Big Ben".
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »

I wish I had such flat terrain. Check out my terrain profile - on my QRZ.COM page . . .

But I had no problem working FT5XO on 80-17M and Crozet on 20M - and back when the SSN was 11. In fact, both were booming in here - worked FT5XO with short hatted vertical dipoles on the low bands and a 2 element yagi on 20 and 17M. 800 watts.
Such is being a DXer on the west coast. The ultra-rare ones in Asia and the southern ocean are a cinch for you since nothing is on a polar path. Your DX Kryptonite is Europe and Africa, and now that you have Apollo and ST0, what more do you need. For HR, west coast is probably far better that east. For contesting and low band operating, though, fuggedaboudit.

Heard Island will be tricky . . . . but doable. I have the HFTA plots for both sides of the island - and right smack in the middle is an 8000' mountain called "Big Ben".
I forget...have they said anything about which side of the island they plan to land on? IIRC from the VK0IR video from last time they were on the SE side of the island, which would be @ü$%ing awful for the east coast.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »

I forget...have they said anything about which side of the island they plan to land on? IIRC from the VK0IR video from last time they were on the SE side of the island, which would be @ü$%ing awful for the east coast.

Its being worked on.

VK0IR operated from Atlas Cove - which was better for the East Coast and EU (SP) than for the West Coast. It is on the North by NW side of the island - so Big Ben wasn't in the way for EC and EU. It was right in the way of the WC SP - which - you are correct, is not a polar path - in fact - its all water from my QTH. This most likely is the reason FT5XO was S9 +20 most of the time. Heck, even TO4E and all of those near 3B were S9 +20 each morning on 40 and 30M. Even 80M was a breeze. I think they were also loud on the higher bands.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:23:13 PM by KY6R » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »

Ok for the almost three years I have been actively chasing DX, P5 has ostensibly been the holy grail. I now know that 7O6T is/was a miracle as well.  I was still a newbie when 7O6T was active, but dumb luck got me in their log.

My question for everyone is, with Paul N6PSE announcing another upcoming miracle, what is everyone going to do to get their station up to the task of getting in their log?
2 Element 40 Meter array, and 30 Meter Four Square...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »

Its being worked on.

VK0IR operated from Atlas Cove - which was better for the East Coast and EU (SP) than for the West Coast. It is on the North by NW side of the island - so Big Ben wasn't in the way for EC and EU. It was right in the way of the WC SP - which - you are correct, is not a polar path - in fact - its all water from my QTH. This most likely is the reason FT5XO was S9 +20 most of the time. Heck, even TO4E and all of those near 3B were S9 +20 each morning on 40 and 30M (long path - the same direction and which is SP for Heard for me). Even 80M was a breeze. I think they were also loud on the higher bands.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »

After the recent arrest and sentencing of an American for 15 years of hard labor this one is seeming more risky by the day.  Personally I could not take the stress of some handler over my back who might decide that what I just said is some coded message. These people are just to paranoid for us to send Hams over there, it's not worth the risk.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: