Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VENT TIME!!!!...Another Dead Horse To Beat....  (Read 6745 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »

I don't do much SSB DXing, but one probably I do notice on CW DXing is when the DX station doesn't ID enough, or send UP to let you know they are listening up.  If I here a TU, and a call, and that is it, how I am supposed to know they aren't working simplex?

John AF5CC

With all due respect, John, in most cases, if you listen a bit longer, you will hear a Callsign and an UP.
Agree that some don't ID and announce UP often enough, and then you have some who do it every time, all the while his signal IS FADING FAST..... YIKES!! Shocked  hi

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »

I don't have a problem with a quick UP.  Not everyone has a computer, and not every DX says up very often (or their call sign), but yes, 98% of the time.. simply listening for a minute will get you that info.

Software can also be a problem.  I've had a few times whenx I loaded N1MM and it turned off my split (didn't notice that at first). Happened with another program as well.  Now I take a look to make sure it's really up and nothing changed.

I called a DX in S. Pacific who I must have been LOUD about 3-4 times before I realized it.  No one said anything to me.  Nothing you can do.   One person saying UP isn't going to distract much.  

I hate to disagree (oh heck, no I don't Grin), but a "quick up" is an illegal transmission.
And the op is in charge of the radio station operations, not a computer or program. If you don't know or are unsure - don't' transmit.

Technically, the DX needs to sign off with HIS call sign after each call..  Grin

So in the real world, where everything isn't always perfect, a quick UP solves the problem 90% of the time.  It takes 0.50 seconds to say it.. 

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

I think a DX station needs to sign only according to the requirements of the country in which the station is operating.
And who is in charge of the quick up? From what I hear many people assume that responsibility. More listening, less transmitting.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

Knee Deep Brewing - "Simtra"
Sierra Nevada - "Hoptimum"
Green Flash - "Palate Wrecker"
Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"
Lagunitas - "Hop Stoopid"

That's just a starter.

R
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »

KY6R...

I'm getting thirsty...   Cheesy

Funny story...

I sent out 4 QSL cards today to a few that I want that are about 3-4 months old.

One was Jesper OX3KQ in Greenland.   Contact in Jan. 2013.  He says "no direct mail".  Get's hammered with stuff etc..   I think he eQSL (nice for WAZ) but no LOTW etc..

I figured I'd get through with a large 9x12 envelope and $5.  A card that says.. "if you can, thank you.. if not have a beer on me...."   

I drop off the cards and pick up my daughter after school.   30 Minutes later I jump on the radio to hopefully hear Delaware in the New England QSO party...  Grin   but I hear lots of chatter on 18.120.  Shocked to hear that one of the clearest was Jesper himself.

I get lucky, he calls for "other than North America".. a guy in Mexico comes through and then I call with "Hawaii.. if that counts".     Jesper remembers my card etc..  tell him how funny - I just put something in the mail today..  I never hear him or Greenland etc..   I might have seen him once since Jan.   Now he'll get another card with a $2 Bill and a $1 bill just in case.   He was my Zone 40.   He was about a 4-5 and I was surprised to be 56-57.   

I'm getting quite a few that are weak on the RX but my TX is good.   I'm putting out about 600w usually and I'm thinking that raising the HexBeam up a little might help?

What timing!!

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »

Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"

Try some specialty Canadian brews. Unibroue, from just outside of Montréal has two I heartily recommend: Maudite and Fin Du Monde (translated as "The Damned" and "End Of The World"). The contain alcohol and amazing taste. A lot of alcohol. I think they should come out with a bheer that's like Maudite but even more potent, and just call it "Sacarament, Calis De Tabernac Mon 'Oestie!" Which is probably what most Québecois say when they taste their first!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »

Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"

Try some specialty Canadian brews. Unibroue, from just outside of Montréal has two I heartily recommend: Maudite and Fin Du Monde (translated as "The Damned" and "End Of The World"). The contain alcohol and amazing taste. A lot of alcohol. I think they should come out with a bheer that's like Maudite but even more potent, and just call it "Sacarament, Calis De Tabernac Mon 'Oestie!" Which is probably what most Québecois say when they taste their first!

Ah yes - I've had it - (Maudite and Fin Du Monde), and its excellent. I tried it when I was on my "Belgian Tour" - all started by Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label). I also tried one called Piraat - and can't remember if that was Canadian or Belgian - or maybe even Dutch?.

I have some US Belgian style in the "beer cave" - Allagash "Curieux", and North Coast Brewing "Brother Thelonious".

But I'm a serious hop head, but can be convinced that Belgian Style Ales are good too.

If you are into wine - talk to me about Rhone Style from the central coast (Paso Robles - ex - Force-12 fame), and Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - Radio Coteau - small producer but just superb.

I'm just a beer a wine guy - although way back when - dabbled in single malt scotch . . .

R

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:27:43 PM by KY6R » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »

I must be the only one who does not mind the cop who only says "Up".
I hate the ones that tie up the freq with rude comments and venting but the simple quick "up" is ok with me.
It wasn't like that last night.....it got to the point where one of those idiots sounded like was engaged in a conversation while Z81X was calling me....I was ready to hit the split button and say "HEY A-HOLE...GET OFF THE FREQUENCY..".....Just saying "UP"....tell me, do you think half the people who are on the split know what "UP" means???......Aggrivating....just plain aggrivating.....USE YOUR EARS AND BRAIN.....AND LEARN HOW TO OPERATE!!!!!.....
I know what your talking about my friend, I have had that happen to me on a few occasions including when I was trying to reach SV2.  It's very frustrating but we all have to resist the impulse to go on Freq and Cuss the idiot Cop because as we know that just adds to the QRM.

IMO if your trying to help the DX just keep it to a simple "Up". Anything else is just the person being an A## and a QRMer.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »

...although way back when - dabbled in single malt scotch . . .
That's my drink of choice. I'm an Islay man through and through, with Ardbeg Corryvrecken and Uigeadail my favourites, but also various offerings from Laphroaig and Lagavulin making the grade. Highland Park variants and anything with both peat and sherry finishes get my attention every time. Paired with some fine pipeweed (or rolled leaf from NA-015).

Sadly, I think there are far too many ops who partake of their favourite adult beverage before picking up the mic or key. Prime-time stateside = late at night or in the wee hours in Europe and many are in their cups to a rather significant degree.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:05:51 PM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »

I hate to disagree (oh heck, no I don't Grin), but a "quick up" is an illegal transmission.
And the op is in charge of the radio station operations, not a computer or program. If you don't know or are unsure - don't' transmit.

I wish the cops didnt need to do a Quick "up" but the Alternative is the same idiot calling out for an hour Angry  Its certainly the lesser of two evils!

One thing that is cool about having a bandsope is that you can see the pileup before you see the Dx Grin  I just tune to the lower edge of the pile up and then start working my way down 5kc at a time till I find the Dx. If that fails I end up using the cluster because with a beam it can be really hard to find a weak distant DX station when you don't have a heading.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »

Sadly, I think there are far too many ops who partake of their favourite adult beverage before picking up the mic or key. Prime-time stateside = late at night or in the wee hours in Europe and many are in their cups to a rather significant degree.

Thats one of the worst mistake a Ham can make.  I have heard a few respected hams make a fool of themselves because of Alcohol. 
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »

Oh man - I know what you mean. 75M and even 40M late in the afternoon - you can just tell when its "drinkie poo" time.

I prefer mine after an ATNO - when I can just sit back, listen and relax. The more rare the ATNO the more rare the reward.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »

I prefer mine after an ATNO - when I can just sit back, listen and relax. The more rare the ATNO the more rare the reward.

I have a bottle of 18YO Macallan set aside for ATNOs. I may never finish it. One small dram per entity, with 13 left to go for #1.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 02:57:32 AM »

I must be the only one who does not mind the cop who only says "Up".
I hate the ones that tie up the freq with rude comments and venting but the simple quick "up" is ok with me.

At some point somebody needs to step in an just say "UP".  As for it not being legal, many rules seem to go out the window during contests, or DXpeditions so it doesn't bother me since it's the lesser of two evils.  If one is a stickler for rules they can throw in their call but you can't let a station keep calling on the DX station's frequency.

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 04:57:36 AM »

Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"

I really like Moose Head

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

I don't care too much about the cops, although they are annoying.  What is more annoying are the lids who just keep calling and calling even though the DX does not call them. I believe this is why the DX is now opting for larger and larger splits because people simply would not listen and wait their turn.

This is pretty much my take on this.  Besides the lids calling on frequency there is the 'tuner-uppers' and for me these may even be more malicious and disruptive.  If the 'calling on frequency' and the 'tuner-uppers' were not there, then their would be no cops - simple - the cops are often the 2nd layer of frustrated operators (the continuous callers are the first).

Perhaps all amateur radio examinations should incorporate a section called "DX operating guidelines" and have a pool of a dozen questions that address, among other things, this exact topic - probably wishful thinking.  As was pointed out several times in this thread, it is an education issue.

73, Rich, K3VAT
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: