Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VENT TIME!!!!...Another Dead Horse To Beat....  (Read 7220 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »

Perhaps all amateur radio examinations should incorporate a section called "DX operating guidelines" and have a pool of a dozen questions that address, among other things, this exact topic - probably wishful thinking.  As was pointed out several times in this thread, it is an education issue.

Most hams have no interest in DXing, just as most who chase DX do not care about other aspects of ham radio.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

Perhaps all amateur radio examinations should incorporate a section called "DX operating guidelines" and have a pool of a dozen questions that address, among other things, this exact topic - probably wishful thinking.  As was pointed out several times in this thread, it is an education issue.

Most hams have no interest in DXing, just as most who chase DX do not care about other aspects of ham radio.

That may be true but I think the Dx community should take more advantage of the Internet and create a World Wide Lid Database.  That whey it could just be linked into Logging software so that when a LID starts calling the Dx knows to ignore him.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »

I have fun on the air.  Nothing is much of a problem.  The biggest issue is all the a**holes who have a stronger signal... And being stuck out in the pacific...   Grin Grin Grin
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

Knee Deep Brewing - "Simtra"
Sierra Nevada - "Hoptimum"
Green Flash - "Palate Wrecker"
Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"
Lagunitas - "Hop Stoopid"

That's just a starter.

R

Oh My Goodness... I have found my long lost "Hophead" brother!!!
My personal favorite... Head Hunters' IPA with an IBU of 105 made by Fat Head Micro Brewery in Cleveland, Ohio.

73 de Jim - KE8G
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »

I can't remember all the beers I like.

I enjoy most COLD beers.. especially on a HOT Humid Day like today... kids baseball game etc..

I know I enjoy Becks Oktoberfest A LOT and I just picked up some Beck's Saphire (??) for the first time.  Give it a try.

As for wines...  Cabernet and Chardonnay... Cabernet - Paso Robles has some I like..  Justin Isosoles and Beringer Private Reserve are two favorites.  My wife likes Opus of course. 

I found a Paso Robles bottle at Costco for $12 that has a green and black label and circus character on it.   Good bottle for $12 and a 2010 etc.

Anyway.....
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »

Knee Deep Brewing - "Simtra"
Sierra Nevada - "Hoptimum"
Green Flash - "Palate Wrecker"
Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"
Lagunitas - "Hop Stoopid"

That's just a starter.

R

Oh My Goodness... I have found my long lost "Hophead" brother!!!
My personal favorite... Head Hunters' IPA with an IBU of 105 made by Fat Head Micro Brewery in Cleveland, Ohio.

73 de Jim - KE8G

I think I saw a raving review about Head Hunter - in Beer Advisor . . . I am on a quest to see where I can purchase such hoppy goodness.

Here's the biggest West Coast secret. While everyone is tripping over each other to try to get Russian River "Pliny the Younger", I waltz into Diablo Foods in Lafayette and buy a bomber of Knee Deep Simtra.

Its better than Pliny the Younger, and no cult lines to stand in.

Oregon has a couple of killer hop bomb breweries too - anything by Caldera is killer (out of Ashland), and 10 Barrel in Bend, Oregon is also just too good to be true.

I keep hearing about a brewer in Vermont that is out of this world - so have to chase that one down.

Beer is the new Wine . . .
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »

I can't remember all the beers I like.

I enjoy most COLD beers.. especially on a HOT Humid Day like today... kids baseball game etc..

I know I enjoy Becks Oktoberfest A LOT and I just picked up some Beck's Saphire (??) for the first time.  Give it a try.

As for wines...  Cabernet and Chardonnay... Cabernet - Paso Robles has some I like..  Justin Isosoles and Beringer Private Reserve are two favorites.  My wife likes Opus of course.  

I found a Paso Robles bottle at Costco for $12 that has a green and black label and circus character on it.   Good bottle for $12 and a 2010 etc.

Anyway.....

Speaking of Paso - they have killer wine, AND one of my all time fave breweries - Firestone Walker. Really great restaurants there - used to be a cowboy town - like where my bro lives - in Livermore.

Their "Double Jack" and "Wookie Jack" are just the best. If I don't retire to Bend, Oregon in 12 years - then it will be San Luis Obispo - near Paso Robles . . . .

Costco has featured Firestone Walker Wookie Jack - and if you see it - try it - its fantastic.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

Thanks for the heads up KY6R.

I spent my Costco refund check on about 30 bottles of wine...  Grin

Needed to restock for the parties.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

That reminds me of the line somebody used here months back that JT65 was the new CW.

You have the Etruscans to thank for wine.  They were drinking wine before Gaul (France) even knew what it was.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »

That reminds me of the line somebody used here months back that JT65 was the new CW.

You have the Etruscans to thank for wine.  They were drinking wine before Gaul (France) even knew what it was.

Chris/NU1O

I thank the Etruscans for the Nebbiolo we had with a fantastic Italian dinner. They make wine specifically to go with food - and they sure know their stuff.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

I thank the Etruscans for the Nebbiolo we had with a fantastic Italian dinner. They make wine specifically to go with food - and they sure know their stuff.

They were assimilated by the Romans about 2300 years ago so I'm not sure who you'd thank now.  Maybe the Italians since the Etruscans lived in what is modern day Tuscany?

Chris/NU1O
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »

Most hams have no interest in DXing ...

That may be so, but Amateur Television is on the exams [Ex. S 8.2] and there are probably way fewer TV'ers than DX'ers. 

..., just as most who chase DX do not care about other aspects of ham radio.

What survey did this come from? 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »

Re:The topic,Vent time and beating a dead horse.

Wouldn't this be more appropriate in the FOXHUNTING forum especially back at the manor house after a failed hunt? Then according to to some of the responses perhaps the HOME BREW forum would be more appropriate.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 04:41:37 AM »

If I here a TU, and a call, and that is it, how I am supposed to know they aren't working simplex?

John AF5CC
If you hear TU and a call and you DO NOT hear ANY stations responding, that is your #1 clue that they are working split!

If he was working simplex, sooner or later you would hear someone somewhere responding. The #1 rule of the DX Code of Conduct is: "I will listen, and listen, and then listen again BEFORE calling."
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »

Thank you, Ben Franklin!....Beer and Ham Radio Unites!!!....I vote we start an international beer/DX net....for the purpose of working DX and chatting about all aspects of BEER!!!!.....I am sure our friends in the British Iles, Belgium, and Deutchland would not object!...... Grin.....

V
KA3NRX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: