Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VENT TIME!!!!...Another Dead Horse To Beat....  (Read 6302 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

Thank you, Ben Franklin!....Beer and Ham Radio Unites!!!....I vote we start an international beer/DX net....for the purpose of working DX and chatting about all aspects of BEER!!!!.....I am sure our friends in the British Iles, Belgium, and Deutchland would not object!...... Grin....

Canadians can give 'em a good run for their money at times (at least the Micros). But on the other hand, I'd be all over the GM Scotch appreciation net!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »

But on the other hand, I'd be all over the GM Scotch appreciation net!

I would think Scotch should be free of Genome Modification.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »

Yinz can keep the beer...OK, I have abeer once in a while...
but certainly not regularly.

IRISH Whiskey...NECTAR of the GODS !
Nothing fancy, either Jamison or Bushmills.

A splash over ice...MARVELOUS !
W7NUW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

The "UP" is no more or less illegal than the "R 5NN TU" that is the expected DX-caller exchange. Every transmission is supposed to end with your call. But we don't do that, do we?

I for one am grateful for the simple "up" that quiets the zero-beat caller. I have a modest station and limited chances to get through. On-frequency callers have blocked my chances too many times. Yes, those who elaborate with disparaging comments are a nuisance.

I wonder how many of these don't know Morse beyond memorizing their own call. Maybe they could memorize .._   ._ _.

Ken W7NUW
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »

Re:The topic,Vent time and beating a dead horse.

Wouldn't this be more appropriate in the FOXHUNTING forum especially back at the manor house after a failed hunt? Then according to to some of the responses perhaps the HOME BREW forum would be more appropriate.

I also find it kind of puzzling that all the threads tend to go off topic.
I guess it's just a method of killing the topic in a semi polite fashion!
I wish the mods would just clean up these threads and move the off topic stuff to a separate thread but I guess they just can't bother.
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

Knee Deep Brewing - "Simtra"
Sierra Nevada - "Hoptimum"
Green Flash - "Palate Wrecker"
Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"
Lagunitas - "Hop Stoopid"

That's just a starter.

R

Anything from 3 Floyds (muenster, IN), especially Dark Lord Stout and Behemoth IPA
Two Roads (Stratford, CT) - Road 2 Ruin IPA

BTW, Dark lord is only sold the last Saturday of April and it's a lottery once inside whether you can even buy a bottle. They always sell out and it is rated the #1 beer by the members of the American Homebrewers Association. The poll is by members who can only cast one vote and the results are a ratio between the number of votes and the number of barrels of that beer produced. That makes it a level playing field.
http://darklordday.com/

When I lived there I used to visit the brewery every Fri back in their early days when they would have a brewery tour. Everyone including the weekly regulars would get 3-4 free beers on tap. Then it went to $5 for 3 beers & now they have a brew pub & sadly no more tours like that any more. I can say I had some of the very first Dark Lord at one of those free tastings.

Can't get 3 Floyds in CT but the Two Roads brewery is making some incredibly well made IPAs, their lighter one with wheat as an adjunct is very tasty but the Road 2 Ruin is simply stellar and incredibly well hopped.

Gary
KA1J
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:10:31 AM by KA1J » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

Re:The topic,Vent time and beating a dead horse.

Wouldn't this be more appropriate in the FOXHUNTING forum especially back at the manor house after a failed hunt? Then according to to some of the responses perhaps the HOME BREW forum would be more appropriate.

I also find it kind of puzzling that all the threads tend to go off topic.
I guess it's just a method of killing the topic in a semi polite fashion!
I wish the mods would just clean up these threads and move the off topic stuff to a separate thread but I guess they just can't bother.

Yes..  I think we should start a topic about people upset with people who are upset with other people.....  Grin

This is a message board... we discussed how to handle people not paying attention to split (just say UP.. nothing more) and having fun with one of the oldest professions in the world..  I think we know what #1 is...

I think a HAM Convention with a Beer & Food Festival would be a great idea...  Hamfestival  2014

Cheers & Beers - as Eddy MW0YVK would say... if I have that right  Smiley

K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »

Post your "favorite" ops here:

http://www.lidlist.net/

Shocked
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin

Knee Deep Brewing - "Simtra"
Sierra Nevada - "Hoptimum"
Green Flash - "Palate Wrecker"
Port Brewing - "Hop-15"
Drakes - "Hopocalypse"
Lagunitas - "Hop Stoopid"

Back when I brewed for a living, none of the guys who brewed it could stand the stupid-big IPAs.  We liked beer too much to deliberately drink a beer called "Palate Wrecker".  Cheesy  I brewed my first one as a joke, just cramming hops into my already-quite-hoppy IPA in a cask.  "That'll teach 'em," I thought.  Ten gallons of beer sold out in less than twenty minutes.  We had to scale it from a joke to 15 barrel brews because of demand.

Frankly, we had a lot of fun poking fun at enthusiasts of them.  I used to call mine Ahopalypse Now, and used something like nine different hops varieties in it.  Sure enough, every festival there'd be some twerp...I mean aficionado who would sip carefully, examine the tasting glass as though it contained rubies, nod thoughtfully and say something like "Yes, I can really taste the Cascades in this."  Sure you can, idiot, because that's the one variety I didn't use.   Roll Eyes

I calculated that to be something like 95 IBU with so much late-hops it always looked slightly green.  I stopped worrying about the IBU because tasting panels conducted by UC Davis reported years ago that the human senses cannot discriminate much above 75 to 100+ IBU; all the senses report is BITTERBITTERBITTEROHGODITSBITTER.

Try some specialty Canadian brews. Unibroue, from just outside of Montréal has two I heartily recommend: Maudite and Fin Du Monde (translated as "The Damned" and "End Of The World").

I positively ADORE Unibroue.  Unibroue and Ommegang are brewing some of the finest beers available in North America.

Re: Single malt Scotch.  My wife has a hypothesis with which I agree.  Scots only make that to sell to stupid tourists.  "Och, Jamie, I'll nae drrrrink tha'.  Tha's the stuff we put the dirrrrrt in.  Forbye some Sassenach gobshite will pay us $100 for that bottle o' peat bog.  Gi' me the bottle of Vat 69, d'ye ken?"  

I attribute the tastes of both single-malt Scotch and stupid-big IPAs to the American propensity for BIGGERFASTERLOUDERMOREMOREMORE, because neither product really has anything going for it except outrageous, obvious flavors.  True, I can't stand the stuff.  That's taste differences, I suppose. Wink

Now, as to the OP.  I run simplex until it gets rowdy.  Should that happen, I go split.  I'm not VK9NT, but I get my share of rowdy piles; had one the other day on 12m CW.  You have to know how to run your pile, and you have to be totally unafraid to QSY or pull the plug should you lose control of your pile.  If your split is huge, you've lost control of your pile.  If your pile turns into a lidfest, you have to be unafraid of tell the pile, "Knock it off or I'm pulling the plug."  If more limited-time DXpeditions had that philosophy I think the lid problem would be fixed in short order.  They put too much emphasis on QSO count, in my opinion.  If you generate bedlam on the bands, it doesn't matter how many Qs you raked in.  Plus, if you keep your pile well-behaved, you'll make more Qs.  If you're working 6/hr rates because of bedlam when you can work 200/hr rates with a civilized pileup, it actually makes sense to go the hell to bed - after telling the pileup precisely why you're pulling the plug.

Personally, I have a list of "Never work these douche-cannons" next to my radio.  There are several callsigns on that list.  I don't add calls lightly, but I do add them.  I don't care if you're the only signal on the band or that last mult I need to hit a contest goal, I ain't working you.  

73 de WP2XX
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:35:21 AM by NQ3X » Logged
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

Split operation.

Utimately, the DX operator has the control of the pile up.  A weak or poorly skilled DX op will cause fubars like some of the ones listed in this thread.  A well versed one will stick with a call and make it clear he isn't taking tail enders, ones trying to overlay their call, etc., and has the skill to weed the pile up down.  No one can work the world and think they won't have a mess on thier hands.  Time and time again, I hear a DX station state "listening for Africa, any stations from Africa" and then proceed to work a YV.  That causes problems.  There are idiots on the DX station's calling frequency, but a good op, checks now and then, moves a bit, listens, waits, but has control of the pile up.  I don't understand the ops that insist of simplex and take 15 minutes to work one guy....

Oh well..it's just a hobby...
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »

Thank you, Ben Franklin!....Beer and Ham Radio Unites!!!....I vote we start an international beer/DX net....for the purpose of working DX and chatting about all aspects of BEER!!!!.....I am sure our friends in the British Iles, Belgium, and Deutchland would not object!...... Grin.....

To me, all alcoholic beverages taste like paint thinner. I save a lot of money because of this...
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »

Thank you, Ben Franklin!....Beer and Ham Radio Unites!!!....I vote we start an international beer/DX net....for the purpose of working DX and chatting about all aspects of BEER!!!!.....I am sure our friends in the British Iles, Belgium, and Deutchland would not object!...... Grin.....

To me, all alcoholic beverages taste like paint thinner. I save a lot of money because of this...

2 Things -

1) What are you doing drinking paint thinner..   Grin

2) Doctors recommend a couple drinks a day.. thins the blood and you sleep better...   Grin

73!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »

2) Doctors recommend a couple drinks a day.. thins the blood and you sleep better...   "

Not true about sleeping!  It helps you fall asleep faster but you wake up sooner and still feel tired or worst depending on how much you drink.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: