Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10-80 meter vertical antenna (snow question)  (Read 1453 times)
VE3TRU

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »

I'm going to ask a bit of a weird question.
I'm putting up a vertical antenna ground level, my question is in regards to winter. I live in a bad snow belt the antenna will be sitting under, 4 feet or more of snow. How bad is this going to be unusable, just degraded or what, any cheap solutions I have no budget for a tower.
tnx
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »

Snow is a dielectric (it's mostly air) and won't have much of a measureable effect on the base of a vertical.

I've had issues where snow/ice built up on exposed coils and connections and broken them, so if anything I'd take measures against that.  Could be as simple as an inverted plastic trash can with a hole in the middle covering the base. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »

Hello, Yeah I agree with Mark as he has answered this question before with the same good advice.

The snow is not problematic relative to damaging the antenna.

Snow that melts then changes to Ice can be problematic if it is allowed to expand onto your antenna parts it is possible to do so with enough force to cause damage.

A non conductive enclosure would be anecdotal.

VE3TRU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »

Many thanks
I like the garbage can Idea, maybe Ill try that to
73s for now

KO3D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

I'm going to ask a bit of a weird question.
I'm putting up a vertical antenna ground level, my question is in regards to winter. I live in a bad snow belt the antenna will be sitting under, 4 feet or more of snow. How bad is this going to be unusable, just degraded or what, any cheap solutions I have no budget for a tower.
tnx

On a related note, I saw in another thread you have the Hy-Gain vertical. I have the same one and with a slight coating of ice it bends like its made out of bamboo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: