Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham stick 2 mtr colinear  (Read 2453 times)
WF2D

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »

I have a hamstick colinear 2 mtr antenna, that I dragged out of my basement, and on check out I noticed that the whip portion of the antenna was ground off, probably from a parking garage.

I checked the resonant frequency and it was somewhere around 160 Mhz, and the best I could get it was in the low 150 Mhz, so suffice to say it is short.

I tried to find information on Lakeview manufacturing and apparently they are no longer doing business.

I read somewhere that the whip portion of the antenna should be 44", but I cannot verify that. 

Does anyone know what the what the actual dimension for the whip portion if this antenna should be?

Tnx WF2D Howard
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

Use the cut and try method.  Take some wire, wrap around the antenna and keep extending it until you find the resonant frequency.  Should take 2 or 3 minutes at most.  Then you can work on ordering a replacement whip.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »

...  Then you can work on ordering a replacement whip.

It isn't much help now, but I've bought a BUNCH of old Hustler resonator/whip combinations, and a bunch of hamstick and even old CB antennas, used at hamfests.  If I can get them cheap enough, they supply lots of extra whips at low price--very handy to have!

As long as I'm rambling, most of those whips are stainless, and it isn't easy to shorten them cleanly without bending the cut end.  The way I do it is to mark the place where I want to cut the whip, then use my bench grinder to deeply score around the whip.  Then the end can be snapped off pretty easily.  FWIW!
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »

Description: Honest 4.5 Db gain
1000 watts DC
Very stiff black tapered stainless steel whip
Rugged fiberglass base section
Base fitting is 3/8 inch X 24 TPI
Length approximately 7 feet for 2 Meters   

Can you subtract the body from 7 feet for the stinger.  I stop by truck stops which have tons of CB stingers / replacement whips.
They are much cheaper than the Ham Shops and many different lengths. Just don’t tell em that its CB ! ! ! The grinder is great
for trimming 17-7 PH stainless steel whips.

GL, KW6LA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »

Everybody likes gain, At least you'd think so by the number of Pacific Rim purchases. The truth lies elsewhere.

You get gain by compressing the pattern. The resulting pattern can be about anything depending on how, and where the antenna is mounted. But..... If your primary operation is via repeaters, your really don't want gain. Except that is, unity gain. In other words, zero gain! The reason is, most repeater sites are well above average terrain, while the mobiles operating through the repeater may be at any height. Therefore, what you really needs is for the transmitted energy to be, well, omnidirectional. That IS NOT a gain antenna in 99% of the cases.

Adding some insult, antenna placement is more important than gain. Here is an article (I didn't write it, but I store it on my site) for all those folks who think gain is the ultimate experience. http://www.k0bg.com/images/pdf/mobile_vhf_ant.pdf

KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »

Alan-

I found the Hustler collinear ( a big antenna) not as good as my Larsen 5/8~  on top of a Chevy Tahoe.  Also repeaters as much as 20 miles away were scratchy with the ¼~ spike as
compared to the 5/8~ Larsen not. The shape of the vehicle and install, does seem to be the bigger factor. Found the figures on the Eham reviews to help him rebuild it. Not my choice
for a 2 meter antenna.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »

A simple way to cut the stainless stingers, I use a diamond triangular file. file a groove in it then snap it off. I got the set of 5 from Harbor Freight to clean up some hardened steel. no where near the best files but for less than 10 bucks, I figure I'm well ahead. Ever think about a small collar at the top? Just a thought.
I have a co linear with a white insulator. its from the 70s when I got it at a ham fest. Its about the same length as yours. Cushcraft or Hustler I don't remember. its not good around town, low bridges and trees. I use the Larson 5/8 for 2 or a dual band.

Tom Kb3hg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: