Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PowerSDR 2.6.4 - Huge Disappointment  (Read 13238 times)
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

Actually, I was quite pleased with the update to my 1500. I like the new centered display

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »

Exactly which digital modes would you have as a starter? Would this include SSTV modes? Which ones? How many variations of MFSK?

Tell us what you would want as a baseline integration of digi modes..

The reality is that free software such as FLDIGI readily covers all of this. Why build it into PSDR? What is the advantage? Is Flex to be responsible for updating the integrated digi modes to cover every possible permutation or new mode o' the day at the risk of being flamed? Other than the obvious opportunity to have something irrelevant to grouse about and perpetuate the gratuitous and unfounded anti-Flex silliness, demanding Flex incorporate digi codecs is a bad idea. No point in it.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

Exactly which digital modes would you have as a starter? Would this include SSTV modes? Which ones? How many variations of MFSK?

Tell us what you would want as a baseline integration of digi modes..

The reality is that free software such as FLDIGI readily covers all of this. Why build it into PSDR? What is the advantage? Is Flex to be responsible for updating the integrated digi modes to cover every possible permutation or new mode o' the day at the risk of being flamed? Other than the obvious opportunity to have something irrelevant to grouse about and perpetuate the gratuitous and unfounded anti-Flex silliness, demanding Flex incorporate digi codecs is a bad idea. No point in it.

Ok, maybe you didn't catch the Smiley with my last post. What I was trying to say and obviously failing to do so, is other than the Centered display, there is/was nothing new in this incremental
update to PowerSDR, that would justify calling it a "new radio". At least as far as "I" can tell.
The things you mentioned, do not alter the operation of the radio itself, or add new functions or features. Certainly not on the same level as the TNF that was added quite some time ago. THAT, to me, is an added feature. And one worthy of saying, "it's like having a new radio".
And I am by no means perpetuating any anti-Flex silliness. I asked an honest question and it seems that there are those that think I was being anti-Flex in asking it. That is far from the truth.
And as I said, in another post, it does have updates for UK users that would justify using the phrase "like having a new radio". But, that does nothing for the rest of us.
 My statements about digital modes being built in was made in jest. Again, note the Smiley.
I wasn't demanding anything from Flex at all. Not everyone who asks questions about statements made are Flex bashers. I didn't think anyone would take what I said personally. No reason to.
 james
WD5GWY

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

Us Flex Fanboys don't cotton to anybody talkin' smack..

So, whether or not 2.6.4 represents a "new radio" is contingent upon geographical location? Seems as if the "not new radio" argument is crumbling..
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »

Us Flex Fanboys don't cotton to anybody talkin' smack..

So, whether or not 2.6.4 represents a "new radio" is contingent upon geographical location? Seems as if the "not new radio" argument is crumbling..

Only crumbles if you are in Europe. Here in the good ol' USA, it's not crumbled a bit.
 Cheesy
You fanboy you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin
james
WD5GWY
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

Well whether or not I got a new radio or not with the last upgrade, my 1500 is still the best bang for the buck out there! I've actually forgotten what it was like to have to listen to the crummy substandard RX's that the Japanese companies put in their low end rigs! I've owned a lot of the "big threes" low end and medium range rigs over the years and during my years in the retail end of the ham radio biz, I got to play with a lot of their high end stuff as well. My little 1500 sounds as good or better than the high end Japanese radios I remember. Oops....fanboy alert! I guess the moral is that if you make a good rig you will have fanboys...and girls.... Cheesy Cheesy As I've said many times though,enjoy what you like, no one forces you to buy any particular brand of radio. There are some guys out there who get their kicks refurbishing old Heathkits, Hallicrafters and Collins. No my cup of tea but if that's what they like I'm certainly not going to constantly try to shout down and belittle them on a public forum.
Michael, W4HIJ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 06:26:58 AM »

Well whether or not I got a new radio or not with the last upgrade, my 1500 is still the best bang for the buck out there! I've actually forgotten what it was like to have to listen to the crummy substandard RX's that the Japanese companies put in their low end rigs! I've owned a lot of the "big threes" low end and medium range rigs over the years and during my years in the retail end of the ham radio biz, I got to play with a lot of their high end stuff as well. My little 1500 sounds as good or better than the high end Japanese radios I remember. Oops....fanboy alert! I guess the moral is that if you make a good rig you will have fanboys...and girls.... Cheesy Cheesy As I've said many times though,enjoy what you like, no one forces you to buy any particular brand of radio. There are some guys out there who get their kicks refurbishing old Heathkits, Hallicrafters and Collins. No my cup of tea but if that's what they like I'm certainly not going to constantly try to shout down and belittle them on a public forum.
Michael, W4HIJ

Seems like the only one shouting or belittling here is you.  I posted my experiences with my Flex 5000 and you jumped right in here accusing me of a lot of things.  This is not Amateur Radio like gentlemanly conduct on your part.

-robert
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:29:49 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »

Seems like the only one shouting or belittling here is you.  I posted my experiences with my Flex 5000 and you jumped right in here accusing me of a lot of things.  This is not Amateur Radio like gentlemanly conduct on your part.

-robert

Posting how your first hand personal experiences with upgrading to PowerSDR 2.6.4 would make you a contributor to a thread discussing the software upgrade.

The rest of what you post doesn't begin to meet the standards you suddenly seem to have become aware of.

Again how did your upgrade to 2.6.4 go?  

Steve
K9ZW

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ
That is exactly how I feel. If a person enjoys what they use then more power to them.
And I really do like my 1500. And like you, feel that it is one of the best "bang for the buck"
radios out there. I have two radios that I can say the receivers in them are comparable with
the 1500, one the Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV and the other a TenTec Jupiter. The Jupiter has
a larger range of filtering built-in than the MKV. But, the MK V with the addition of other filters
really shines on receive. And it has dual, independent receivers. BUT, only has a single (CW)
extra filter slot for the second receiver. What I really like about the 1500 is the receiver and the
filtering. People having not used one think the term "Brick Wall" filtering is a marketing thing.
BUT, it really is just that, brick wall. The only thing that it will not handle, and no other radio
available to the Amateur community can do either, is reject a signal inside of the passband.
Not talking about notching out a tuner upper, but, another phone signal. (like in a contest where one station is trying to talk over another) If someone were to ever make a radio that was able to
do that, it would cost a fortune. It could possibly be done with Digital Voice. (if all signals were
Digital Voice) Then software could be written that could choose one over the other.
But, that would probably be much too expensive to the average user. That's when I do what I
have done in the past and use the filter between my ears and attempt (not always 100% successful)to hear the station I want to hear and ignore the rest. Not easy, but, it can be done.
(ask any rare DX station about that!)
   As for belittling people on public forums for their choice of equipment, it's not just in Amateur radio forums that happens. I used to be into woodworking and some of those forums can be just
as brutal if you are not using name brand equipment to produce something. Post a photo of a project and not mention equipment use to make it and you'll get all kinds of positive comments. But, add that you did it with a low cost table saw, then you'll be told how your work would be
better if you used a top of the line cabinet saw.  People being people seems to be the norm in
most forums and people don't want to think a person could make something as good as they did without spending a ton of money for the best of the best.
  Personally, I'm glad there are choices in equipment in Amateur radio. And think it's great we have as many as we do. Besides all that, it is rare that the person on the other end of a QSO can
tell what radio you are using. (if it's set up properly) Using the three radios I mentioned, I have
had people that know me on the air, ask which radio I'm on. I say, guess, and they rarely get it
right. The only clue is with the 1500 and the fact that my signal strength is not as strong as the
other two. Audio quality etc. no difference. (I take the time to set up my radios as best as I can get them) And there have been more than one time when I have been running the 1500 when
someone in the group I talk to, said I was not running the 1500 because my signal strength was
59+ ! Propagation is the big equalizer in that case!
james
WD5GWY
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

Seems like the only one shouting or belittling here is you.  I posted my experiences with my Flex 5000 and you jumped right in here accusing me of a lot of things.  This is not Amateur Radio like gentlemanly conduct on your part.

-robert

Posting how your first hand personal experiences with upgrading to PowerSDR 2.6.4 would make you a contributor to a thread discussing the software upgrade.

The rest of what you post doesn't begin to meet the standards you suddenly seem to have become aware of.

Steve
K9ZW

You know, no wonder the anti-Flex crowd dislike you guys so much.  You are JUST AS GUILTY of jumping on anyone who says something negative about their experience with Flex Radios.  Unless it is a glowing, over the top review of Flex's stuff, you guys all come out of the woodwork on attack.   I don't know which side is worse, but right now I am leaning towards the pro-Flex group as being the worse here.

-robert
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »

As for belittling people on public forums for their choice of equipment, it's not just in Amateur radio forums that happens. I used to be into woodworking and some of those forums can be just
as brutal if you are not using name brand equipment to produce something. Post a photo of a project and not mention equipment use to make it and you'll get all kinds of positive comments. But, add that you did it with a low cost table saw, then you'll be told how your work would be
better if you used a top of the line cabinet saw.  People being people seems to be the norm in
most forums and people don't want to think a person could make something as good as they did without spending a ton of money for the best of the best.
james
WD5GWY

I agree completely.  I am a member of a martial arts forum and there are plenty of similar nonsense debates that amount to nothing.  And I have some friends that insist that the only good trucks are made by GM.  They are actually insulted by Ford, or (gasp) Toyota owners.  Brand loyalty is an interesting thing.

I see both sides of some of the Flex debates.  Some are offended that anyone likes their Flex radio and some are offended that anyone would say anything critical about their Flex radio.  I do believe that comments about specs, operating the rig, and ones experiences with the manufacturer are fair game and should not lead to hurt feelings and arguments.

In the end, I'd like to see Flex succeed.  It's good for amateur radio to have as several viable radio manufacturers.
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

-robert

Steve
K9ZW

You know, no wonder the anti-Flex crowd dislike you guys so much.  You are JUST AS GUILTY of jumping on anyone who says something negative about their experience with Flex Radios.  Unless it is a glowing, over the top review of Flex's stuff, you guys all come out of the woodwork on attack.   I don't know which side is worse, but right now I am leaning towards the pro-Flex group as being the worse here.

-robert

What - you've never installed/used 2.6.4?

Guess you have some homework for the afternoon....

Steve
K9ZW

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

james
WD5GWY

I agree completely.  I am a member of a martial arts forum and there are plenty of similar nonsense debates that amount to nothing.  And I have some friends that insist that the only good trucks are made by GM.  They are actually insulted by Ford, or (gasp) Toyota owners.  Brand loyalty is an interesting thing.

I see both sides of some of the Flex debates.  Some are offended that anyone likes their Flex radio and some are offended that anyone would say anything critical about their Flex radio.  I do believe that comments about specs, operating the rig, and ones experiences with the manufacturer are fair game and should not lead to hurt feelings and arguments.

In the end, I'd like to see Flex succeed.  It's good for amateur radio to have as several viable radio manufacturers.
I'd like to see Flex succeed and I think they are doing so. I'd also like to see the Apache Labs products do well. I was hoping for the Elecraft KX-3 to do well and I think it is although I knew they were blowing smoke when they promised it at the price point of the 1500 and they were. The more manufacturers in the SDR arena, the better and competition is a good thing. Some guys are never going to give up their tried and true "conventional" radios and I understand that. By the same token, I expect people to understand that I will never go back to an radio with a "conventional" front panel again. There has been way too many times on this forum when some one posted some problem with their Flex radio and when I've said nothing harsher than "Sorry, I never have experienced that problem" I've gotten jumped on with both feet by several parties.  I've often thought "maybe I won't go there anymore" because of the way a vocal minority here have acted towards me but I enjoy many e-ham forums besides this one and also there is a lot going on in the SDR field besides just what Flex is doing and this is a great place for info on it.
Michael, W4HIJ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

Wanted another day of QSOs with the new 2.6.4 version.

Install was slick and quick.  This release did update the drivers and the firmware.

Latency improvements noted (running the provided utility) and was able to adjust to meet the improvements.

No sign of a several small glitches in my system - not crediting version 2.6.4 as much as the overall reinstallation process for cleaning up some loose ends with the 2.5 version.

Of course none of the regionalization updates matters for my operations.  Those updates are important for the overall FlexRadio community and bundling them with the general updates & tweaks is a good idea.

Noticed more even drive when band-hopping.  I hadn't been 100% confident of the resulting levels with the prior release which had lead to my reducing power to avoid amp overdrive. 

Oh and for the down on SDR/Flex anywhere in life folk, very please to note the installation of PowerSDR 2.6.4 had zero adverse affects on my S-Line station.....

In summary, a nice and easy upgrade that a few days of use suggest was worth it for drivers/firmware/tweaks alone.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »

Smile, some things never will change, like the SDR wars here.

Alas, I won't likely try 2.6.4 until Tobias updates the fork so my knobs work.  Something I will not have to deal with on my next SDR.  I'll have all kinds of other stuff to deal with!  Lol

If one ones to buy a completed radio, they don't want to buy and SDR!  That said, I would say that the Flex 5K will likely not see new features in PowerSDR unless they come by virtue of updates really targeted at 1500 & 3000 users.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: