Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Printing Office RF Spectrum Chart acquisition?  (Read 2258 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »

Anyone know the order number or reference number to acquire
the latest version of this large chart ?

Or perhaps a link.

I got one from them over 25 years ago and want a newer one.
My guess is they still offer it.
Thanks a million.

Ken
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »

15 seconds with Google:

Order actual chart here:  http://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/003-000-00694-8

PDF version here:  http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/usallochrt.pdf

There's an online "app" version of that now, if you're just looking for allocation information.

http://reboot.fcc.gov/spectrumdashboard/searchSpectrum.seam

http://reboot.fcc.gov/reform/systems/spectrum-dashboard

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »

...looks like an explosion in a paint factory.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »

Looks like my hardrive before I defragged it!
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »

Even that chart is 10 years old and if you look at it closely you will see errors.

Look at the 160 meter amateur allocation.

Another chart would be the US amateur radio bandplan;
http://www.arrl.org/images/view//Regulatory_/Color_Band_Chart_Image.jpg

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »

Thanks, I like showing this to the computer geeks I work with who think
they know it all but havent the slightest clue what a tuned circuit is.

~ Ken
CHRISDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

I thought there was longwave amateur below BCB, guess not!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 03:58:48 AM »

If you're close to a ham radio store, you can probably get one free--most of the rig makers put them out.  Some stores will even mail you one.  Or you can get a copy from the ARRL website as 'HA said.

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:28 AM »

The pdf version is not correct. ( that's the govt' for ya!) It shows TV allocations in VHF, among other errors. It's not all that informational either. I looked to see what was above the 20m ham band and there's a slot that says fixed/mobile. For what entity?
Well, at least it's colorful if not useful...

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:40:24 AM »

The pdf version is not correct. ( that's the govt' for ya!) It shows TV allocations in VHF, among other errors. It's not all that informational either. I looked to see what was above the 20m ham band and there's a slot that says fixed/mobile. For what entity?
Well, at least it's colorful if not useful...

While HDTV happened a few years ago I think that the allocations have not officially changed yet. There are a "few" stations that successfully petitioned to keep their VHF frequencies under the claim that by moving to UHF would hinder their ability to cover very large service areas. That argument has come up many times in the past. If you are interested you should do some digging on what the VHF channel allocations did in the 1950's (including what happened to channel 1).

That is why they are calling some of these new technologies as "white space" devices. They are supposed to be intelligent enough to select frequencies that are not being used by commercial broadcasters that may still be active in some markets. When those devices hit the market they will probably show up as secondary allocations in portions of the television broadcast bands.

If the FCC had the courage to actually make some decisions they could just mandate that the VHF spectrum; 54-72 MHz (18 MHz wide), 76-88 MHz (12 MHz wide ), 174-216 MHz (42 MHz wide) would be vacated with broadcasters moving up to the UHF spectrum. That would free up 72 MHz of spectrum in some pretty valuable portions of the band for public-safety, commercial land-mobile users. That would allow for the creation of 5,600 7.5 KHz wide channels or a mix with higher bandwidth spread spectrum data channels. That should resolve the entire spectrum debate of land-mobile for quite a while.

The reality is that the FCC is not a regulatory agency but more of a political action group for commercial interests (like how the FAA is the same thing for airlines).

Wink   Can we have 69.9 to 70.6 MHz for a 4 meter band, pretty please?   Cheesy

The spectrum chart is indeed outdated. Most certainly there are many other errors on the chart that we are just not aware of. Our secondary allocations on 60 meters are not shown. Hopefully we will see something about 600 meters in the next few months (yea, and if wishes were horses, beggars would ride).

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

We know that the FCC version of the chart is outdated. Here is the NTIA version that was updated in 2011;

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/spectrum_wall_chart_aug2011.pdf

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

The one shown for sale at the government bookstore apears to be 2011.

Seems to me someone had a similiar civilian made one somewhere.
Im not talking about the Kenwood Icom Ham band ones.

Thanks
Ken
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

Motorola used to publish one in the 80s.  basically deep blue like the deep blue sea with all the military allocations.

ol' Moto ain't what it used to be, either.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

I got one from Network World magazine (www.networkworld.com) years ago, just by asking nicely in an email.  It was a very nicely printed B-size or so poster that listed all allocations from almost DC to somewhere around ultraviolet light.  Grin  Don't know what's happened to mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: