Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My house / Aluminium siding  (Read 913 times)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

While putting up my 2m/70cm jpole, I just realized the our house has aluminium siding. It explained why my HT worked so poorly indoors.

I am just getting back into HF and I I have a antenna tuner on order that has a connection for a long wire. How possible would tuning the house actually be? If I got it tuned, how effective would it be?

Anybody actually tried this?

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

Sounds like an experiment is in the works.  I believe you'll find that the various pieces of siding are not electrically bonded to one another, and this is likely to be a necessary step.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

Go count how many panels need to be bonded (don't forget all four sides).

Any poorly bonded joint can become a semiconductor and cause RFI. 
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »

A large lump (or sheet) of metal (assuming all the panels are bonded) isn't necessarily
a very good antenna.

Remember that, just like an AC power cord, you need TWO wires to feed RF to something:
what are you planning to use for the second connection?  Of the siding is already grounded,
then it isn't as simple to feed the panels against ground.

That's not to say it can't be done:  depending on the band you want to use, you actually
may find that a slot along an edge where the panels are NOT bonded together will radiate
better than the siding as a whole.  Slot antennas are not common in ham use, however,
so you won't find much about them in the standard antenna books.

What is more likely to work well is (again, assuming all the aluminum panels are bonded
together) to use the siding as the ground connection, and run a wire out to a tree
connected to the single wire port of your tuner.
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »

Countering to the house sounds like a great idea. I was planning a random wire anyway. Grounding it to the house, with a balun, would keep the rf out of my shack.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: