Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Johnson Viking Avenger  (Read 2473 times)
N6YW

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »

Greetings
I am in the beginning stages of restoring my Avenger and compiling research information beyond what is presently posted on the internet.
This is a story of a radio that was... never was. A production prototype that never was sold to the public, therefore very few exist.
There are estimates of as few as 22 being built, but I'm not going to stop at this figure out of my thirst for historical significance and correctness,
if that's even possible considering the amount of time passed since 1968.
My inclination is to search and contact as many past EF Johnson employees with knowledge of this rare piece of equipment.
This may also include anyone who has ever owned or presently owns an Avenger.

So, I am asking anyone willing to read this post, to inform me of any lead that may assist my quest for compiling contacts and relevant information
on this remarkable radio. I plan on publishing a series of articles that address the history and operation of the Avenger.
This will also be posted as a separate page on my website as I develop my data.
Credit will be given to those whose contribute to this project. I appreciate the time you took in reading this post and thank you in advance.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
73 de Billy N6YW
WA3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »

Billy,
I have a friend who used to work for E.F. Johnson, and he is checking with an old coworker who is the efj historian in Waseca as well.

Can you post a picture? I've never heard of the Avenger!

Thanks and 73!

Steve WA3JJT

N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »

Steve

The photos of the radio are on the web, of my actual radio. Just Google Johnson Viking Avenger and you'll see it.
I don't see here that I can post photos unless it's a link to a page. I was thinking of contacting the museum as well.
Thanks for the info, keep me posted! It would be great to have contact with a former employee.
73 de Billy N6YW
W9ALD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »

It will be interesting to follow your research on this remarkable and inovative radio Billy.  I suspect you will find there will be very little new information that is factually based.  It is llikely to be old information told over and over and changed with every telling by people that heard something at a local hamfest and not by those that would actually know or has first hand information.

The engineer that did the design work passed away some years ago.  Quite frankly, there are really only two design engineers from that era still living and one is in New England somewhere and the other is in Florida the last time I talked to them and neither of them worked on the Avenger project.

The only new information in the last 30 years came from Edgar in a discussion I had with him on the way to the Pavek Wireless Museum in one of the suburbs of Minneapolis.  Once upon a time I had a photocopy of all the people that had purchased the production prototypes that the company sold to recoup some of the money they had into the project.  I do not know if I still have that in my archives or if I gave it to someone that was interested.

In any event, keep us posted with what you find.

W9ALD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: