Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headset suggestions  (Read 2949 times)
KD8TZC

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »

I'm looking to pick up a headset with a built in microphone to help me when I participate in field day.  Right now, I just have the standard microphone that came with the Kenwood TS400S when it was new many years ago.  I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I also want to get something that has decent sound for both me and the folks on the receiving end.  I will more than likely get a foot switch to use with this device.

Can anyone recommend what I should be looking at and for in a unit?  Can anyone offer any suggestions on a good unit to pick up?

Thanks,

John KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

The standard by which all other headsets are measured is Heil.
Not inexpensive, but you truly get what you pay for.

http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/headsets.php

Clint - W5CPT -
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

This one is quite good: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/proset/

I actually prefer a boom microphone and separate headphones, most of the time.  In my case, the reason is a "headset" doesn't allow you a lot of freedom to do things like eat or drink while operating (sometimes a contest necessity); you can push the mike up out of the way, but then you have to pull it back down to use it again.  With a boom mike I can just move back from the mike a few inches, then move in a bit closer to use it, without my hands having to adjust anything.

KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »

In addition to a boom mike, you might also want to get a foot switch, so you won't have to use VOX.
There are some inexpensive single headsets with boom mikes - check the ads in the back of QST - the one for www.warrengregoire.com jumps out at me in a quick scan., or look at your local ham store if you have one.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »

I got my Radiosport RS60CF which will be my last.  After going through 3 Heils, this one blows them all away.

http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/index.asp

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »

What's the old line about the pain of a higher price is forgotten quicker than the pain of buying the wrong or a lousy one and buying twice?

When I finally broke down, I just bough Heil - he's got a couple different price levels if money is that tight.

You can build a hand pushbutton switch for a few bucks or use VOX if you don't want to spend $ on his stuff - although I really like his hand switch, I do believe that's the same 'pickle' that the FAA uses at their ARTCC facilities. 

I have a headset mounted mic.

Booms appeal to me in a Johnny Fever sort of way, and you can use a cordless headset with one.  Now that's freedom, you can still hear the radio whilst refreshing your coffee upstairs...I have a pair of nice cordless RF headphones but not at this QTH.

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »

I use the Heil Pro Set Elite and it works well for me.
I can select 5 or 6 transmit audio settings quickly with a click on the mouse from HRD under menu item 064 using my FT-950 and it's very quick and convenient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: