Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC Sleuth => Wake Island  (Read 2211 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »

Enjoy!

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/kh9-wake-island/
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »

Wow so it appears I was born too late. It seems this one was quite common 40+ years ago.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »

Wow so it appears I was born too late. It seems this one was quite common 40+ years ago.

If you'd been active back then you'd have picked up a lot of interesting stuff that's no longer on the list or is as rare as hen's teeth...and probably would never have Albania, China and maybe a few others (Sardinia??). Everything's relative.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »

If you'd been active back then you'd have picked up a lot of interesting stuff that's no longer on the list or is as rare as hen's teeth...and probably would never have Albania, China and maybe a few others (Sardinia??). Everything's relative.

Very true. 40 years ago I wasn't even a twinkle in my mothers eye. Besides the receivers were deaf back then.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »

Very true. 40 years ago I wasn't even a twinkle in my mothers eye. Besides the receivers were deaf back then.

Actually, 40 years ago, I had just received my Novice ticket and one of the coolest rigs ever were in production - and quite good receiver wise - the Kenwood "Twins" (R599 and T599) They still look beautiful today, and are still good enough to get you to Honor Roll. They were a hybrid - solid state for the receiver and used "sweep tubes" in the final section for TX. I had the Kenwood TS-511s, which was the transceiver version of the twins - and all of these were the forerunner to one of the most popular rigs ever - the TS-520.

I wouldn't trade my K3 for one, but they sure were better than the Hallicrafters S-38 receiver (hi hi).
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »

Yep back then working Midway, Wake, Johnston, and others was not a big deal. Lots of military still stationed at those locations to keep it active. And although my Yaesu FTDX-560 couldn't compare with transceivers now, it still did a pretty good job of working some of the rare ones Smiley

John K7KB
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »

AH9AC was active too. Remember him booming over the N.Pole during the early 90's if memory serves.

http://www5.big.or.jp/~ja1rju/ah9ac_qsl.jpg

73 Col, MM0NDX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »

Yep back then working Midway, Wake, Johnston, and others was not a big deal. Lots of military still stationed at those locations to keep it active. And although my Yaesu FTDX-560 couldn't compare with transceivers now, it still did a pretty good job of working some of the rare ones Smiley

John K7KB

That really is the fun of DXing. I wonder what common ones will be exceptionally rare in 20 years, and obviously the reverse.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

I wonder what common ones will be exceptionally rare in 20 years, and obviously the reverse.

I sincerely doubt things will change for the better in 20 years. With the trend of rare places becoming nature preserves I see honor roll will become exponentially harder for the next generation of hams. Maybe P5 will open up in 25-30 years as I doubt it will survive as it currently exists for that long, but I don't see any of today's rare entities becoming all that much easier in just 20 years. 5A perhaps, maybe EZ if they can get some reforms going. As for current ones going silent, that's hard to say. CY9 maybe? Everything else inhabited is probably not going to change.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »

Not sure, but the military had probably trashed the R-390A by then. (THE ASA/Military receiver of choice in the 60's) Pretty darn good receiver Cool.
73, Gene AF3Y
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

Don't forget AA4NP/AH9 in 1990

Smiley
NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »

http://wake2013.org

And, we are going back. I am honored to be a part of this memorial expedition.

73 de na6m
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 06:14:46 AM »

Thanks for the additions to the activations list - I have updated the blog.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »

I wonder what common ones will be exceptionally rare in 20 years, and obviously the reverse.

I sincerely doubt things will change for the better in 20 years. With the trend of rare places becoming nature preserves I see honor roll will become exponentially harder for the next generation of hams. Maybe P5 will open up in 25-30 years as I doubt it will survive as it currently exists for that long, but I don't see any of today's rare entities becoming all that much easier in just 20 years. 5A perhaps, maybe EZ if they can get some reforms going. As for current ones going silent, that's hard to say. CY9 maybe? Everything else inhabited is probably not going to change.

I agree with you on this and there is one additional factor - the leaders who have led all of the most rare DX-peditions are getting close to 70 years old.

Who will pick up the baton where these guys leave off?

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »

I agree with you on this and there is one additional factor - the leaders who have led all of the most rare DX-peditions are getting close to 70 years old.

Who will pick up the baton where these guys leave off?

I think it's more than age here, it's money. Unless we're talking about doctors, lawyers and engineers, today's yoot, in our current economic morass in the U.S. will probably not be able to afford the mega-DXpeditions. Costs for everything are rising much faster than ever due to fuel prices, environmental regulatory concerns and the fees associated therewith as well as the need to bring along compliance officers, like in the case of ZL9--all the while wages probably won't rise more than a few percent over the next 3 decades. So what was an affordable trip for a 45 year old middle-class ham five or 10 years ago will become a trip for the super-wealthy only in the near future.

I think you'll see a far greater number of European DXers traveling the world in the coming generations since the economy there (and especially in DL) is in much better shape. Meanwhile, U.S. hams will be more content to stay home and pay for the EU guys to do the traveling.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: