Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satellite Antenna Question  (Read 4028 times)
KC2PRB

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

Hi All
 I would like to start working some satellites. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 in my shack and I was thinking about getting a Comet GP-3 2/440 antenna with the CF-416B duplexer. My question is will this work for making satellite contacts. I do have the arrow portable antenna but due to health issues, i would like to use the base radio.
Thanks
John
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »

Hi, John

I have a GP-3 that I put up at my girlfriends house before we were married.

I used it to to make some contacts on the FM birds, but forget about it for the linear satellites. At the minimum you'd need a good preamp at the antenna, and even then your results would be marginal.

Any chance you could put a small beam up?

73, Jim
KC2PRB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »

Hi Jim.. I may be able to do that. Thanks for responding..

73's
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

It's been my experience (and I've spent way too much money confirming it!) that omnis are a "bare minimum" satellite station antenna.

I've used ground planes, M2 Eggbeaters, and some home-brew omnis, and they will not give you "armchair copy" on a reliable basis.

Sure, they work, but with a little more cost and effort, you can have an antenna system that works extremely well.

I ran the M2 Eggbeaters, with SSB preamps for two years at Field Day, mostly because they were easy to put up.

Then I went to a Gulf Alpha "Easy Satellite Dual Band" antenna, mounted at a fixed elevation, and we went from 4~5 contacts to 35!

The difference even a small Yagi makes is incredible, as proved by the guys with an Arrow or Elk and their hand held radios.

Every little bit you can do to improve your reception pays bigger and bigger dividends. Good coax, decent preamps, and a small gain antenna will give you an antenna system that works reliably, and makes operating the birds a pleasure.
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »

I do have the arrow portable antenna

Got room in the shack, a patio, or better yet, a sunroom to put a camera tripod? Apparently lots of guys making sat QSOs with those and a base rig. I listen to SO-50 on my HT and transmit on my 2m rig sitting here in my shack chair. Not the absolute best, but would beat the pants off that omni antenna. It's what  I was going to do until I went crazy and built some outside antennas out of PVC and copper wire.

You are talking to a box in the sky... doesn't care how high up the antennas are unless you are trying to talk to them near the horizon.

73, Kevin
WB7RBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

John,

I would suggest a IOIO homemade antenna.  I buildt one and they work great.  Made mine out of wire coat hangers mounted on a pice of 2x2.   I used it with FT-530Ht and a homemade duplexer.  Here is the link to get the info on the antenna plus others:  http://www.wb5cxc.com/satant.html

Go to section on the page that says "IOio LOE Antenna information - EA4CYQ" and click on the " Go to Web Site".  It will bring up a pdf file with all the info necessary to build the antenna.

73's

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: