Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are going through Solar Max NOW  (Read 5082 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

Rich,
I think Chris forgot to take his medication  Grin   I think we must
be going thru Solar Max or it is getting ready to shoot up to unprecedented
levels allowing me to achieve honor roll during this cycle  Roll Eyes

Bob
K6UJ

Optimism is the fuel that will get you there.

Maybe someone will spring a surprise on us like 7O6T - this time coinciding with conditions that have made working Z81X and A61Q on multiple bands childs play - just like it was during the second peak of the last cycle - when I started DX-ing.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

In other words, call me Nostradamus . . .

At least Nostradamus' work can be interpreted as accurate if one changes some names around.  For example, Hister is supposedly Hitler.  When somebody won't even bet $5 it tells me they either had a big gambling problem at one time, or they don't they don't even believe their own predictions. 

About a year ago you had two charts side by side and were predicting this cycle would act like the one you were comparing it to.  There are millions of stock speculators who follow charts religiously to try and predict the future price of a stock but I've never heard of anybody getting wealthy by studying stock charts.

Then, a few months ago you wrote a post that there would be a double top (which is not unusual) but it would be in 2015.

Now, your claiming this is the top because you can hear it.

Is this another one of your epiphanies?  We were mortals don't have those kind of experiences.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

I'm all for optimism.

12M in particular was just spectacular to EU two weekends ago and I've picked up a number of bandfills on 10 and 12. And 20M and 17M being open late into the evening is really cool.

BUT... there are multiple contests running today (CQ-M, Volta RTTY) and I heard zero EU on 10M this AM. Zilch. This is not a "Max" at this moment, conditions have been better several times in the past few years.

It'd be neat to have 10M light up to EU in CQ WPX CW two weeks from now, though, so I will join you in optimism!
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a double peak.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

I'm all for optimism.

12M in particular was just spectacular to EU two weekends ago and I've picked up a number of bandfills on 10 and 12. And 20M and 17M being open late into the evening is really cool.

BUT... there are multiple contests running today (CQ-M, Volta RTTY) and I heard zero EU on 10M this AM. Zilch. This is not a "Max" at this moment, conditions have been better several times in the past few years.

It'd be neat to have 10M light up to EU in CQ WPX CW two weeks from now, though, so I will join you in optimism!

There was a nice opening on 10 yesterday to VK/ZL but this cycle is getting long in the tooth and even at these solar levels all I'm hearing from Europe is one EA7 station today and no Europeans most days.  The Spanish stations were among the first I heard before 10 opened worldwide back in 2011.

As each day passes it looks more and more like the peak of this cycle will have been the fall of 2011.

Yes, 20 meters has been decent but 15 has only been pretty decent and as you wrote, 10 meters is just about dead aside from some sporadic E and some openings to Oceania.  That's not a peak by any normal definition.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »

I'm all for optimism.

There was a nice opening on 10 yesterday to VK/ZL but this cycle is getting long in the tooth and even at these solar levels all I'm hearing from Europe is one EA7 station today and no Europeans most days.  The Spanish stations were among the first I heard before 10 opened worldwide back in 2011.

As each day passes it looks more and more like the peak of this cycle will have been the fall of 2011.

Yes, 20 meters has been decent but 15 has only been pretty decent and as you wrote, 10 meters is just about dead aside from some sporadic E and some openings to Oceania.  That's not a peak by any normal definition.

Thank goodness I have DXCC on 10m now. If the cycle takes a nosedive like I am fearing it will, the higher bands will be junk by next summer.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »

15M right now (late Saturday afternoon) is amazing. JA and EU booming in like crazy, many signals 10 to 20 over S9.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »

Solar cycle is at a max. however my desire to DX is at a low Grin  Hopefully that will change when ZS8 gets on the air Smiley

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »

Its still has a long way to go to match Oct-Dec 2011.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 07:36:16 AM »

I missed the period Oct-Dec 2011 as I was not on the air in 2011.  I guess I missed out on what could be the most fun one could have with clothes on.

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »

I missed the period Oct-Dec 2011 as I was not on the air in 2011.  I guess I missed out on what could be the most fun one could have with clothes on.

Jonathan W6GX

LOL I certainly would not go that far  Grin
The really nice part was that 10M was open for long stretches, I could hear countries from all over the world and sometimes I could hear three or 4 QSO's going on at the same time on the same Freq all of them 59  but strangely the other stations could not hear each other.  It was also very nice to be using the 10M FM repeaters and talking to stations in the EU on FM.  Maybe the best part was that the opening bought out Hams from all over the place. Some of them just casual Hams and others just guys with small stations that now had a chance to talk globally.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:53:09 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »

I missed the period Oct-Dec 2011 as I was not on the air in 2011.  I guess I missed out on what could be the most fun one could have with clothes on.

Jonathan W6GX

I had just gone QRV at that point (June 2011) for the first time since 1994(ish) when was a kid.  I was hoping things would be like that forever.  I learned quickly that it was NOT normal

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »

Well, speaking of solar activity, Ol' Sol belched out two X-class flares this morning. An X-1.7 and what now looks like a 2.8. Neither was earth-directed but the spot that's generating that activity should rotate around in a few days.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

10 meters could be like that again next fall under the right conditions. During fall of 2011 we just happen to have a peak in the solar flux during the fall equinox which is optimum for that band. I had just installed my tower/SteppIR and was having a blast Smiley

John K7KB
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »

Well, speaking of solar activity, Ol' Sol belched out two X-class flares this morning. An X-1.7 and what now looks like a 2.8. Neither was earth-directed but the spot that's generating that activity should rotate around in a few days.

And soon after a X3.2 Smiley
Could it be? Can it really be peaking and hopefully staying high for a nice long period?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: