About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817  (Read 1007 times)
N4GRF

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-817 which operates at a lower power output (about 1.5-22.0 watts) even when the power is switched on to maximum (three bars). This happens only on the 2 meter bands. At HF frequencies and on 440, the unit puts out full power when switched to maximum. I've connected several  different antennas (thinking it might be high SWR fold-back), including the accompanying duck, a Ringo Ranger and an external car mounted antenna: same behavior. Is there an internal setting that I'm overlooking?

Many thanks from you -817 owners out there. 73 Tom NY2RF
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »

I would check the power out on a dummy load just to be sure.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

I would check the power out on a dummy load just to be sure.

+1
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »

Tom, well you already know it's not at the Function key level because that power setting will apply to all bands. Concur with others to run it through a meter w/dummy load.

*IF* that doesn't isolate it, was the unit purchased used? If so, I'm curious from the 817 gurus if this would be exhibited if someone was playing in the hidden menus and when going past any of items 22, 40, or 52 they didn't accidentally bump the main dial (which is how settings are changed in there). Those relate to, respectively, VHF over-current protection, the high-power setting on VHF, and the TX gain on VHF.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »

Wes KC9TNH has a good idea there, about the hidden menus.  And it reminds me of how I solved my own 817 problem.  I'm no guru, but I bought an old 817 last year and the thing just didn't seem to work on HF at all.  I fiddled with it for a day or two before I had the idea of doing a full reset on the 817.  Google "full factory reset FT-817" and you'll find instructions.   I also had to replace the third-party internal battery pack, which had some problem I never did understand.  Once I did both of those, the 817 sprang to life and works normally.  Fun little radio!  73 GL  --ken
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »

Wes KC9TNH has a good idea there, about the hidden menus.  And it reminds me of how I solved my own 817 problem.  I'm no guru, but I bought an old 817 last year and the thing just didn't seem to work on HF at all.  I fiddled with it for a day or two before I had the idea of doing a full reset on the 817.  Google "full factory reset FT-817" and you'll find instructions.   I also had to replace the third-party internal battery pack, which had some problem I never did understand.  Once I did both of those, the 817 sprang to life and works normally.  Fun little radio!  73 GL  --ken

I have a FT817 also.  The maximum power output is 5 watts with an external battery ( no power icon). The icon shows for the lower steps.
I run mine with a LDG z11 tuner and a 9 AH external battery. The whole setup fits in a small hard shell camcorder case.
The only thing that could be better is a FT857D, which DOES do 22 watts.
Glad that you got it figured out. Enjoy!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: