Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low cost minimalistic digital station  (Read 2247 times)
K3MQ

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

I've gotten burned out doing the high power contest running SO2R multi-antenna qsl swapping dx award chasing ham radio thing. I'm selling almost everything, pay off some bills, and starting over. I want to set up a VERY basic station just to operate low power digital modes like Olivia, DominoEX, JT65, etc. The more exotic the better. If it doesn't require a interface software such as Digipan, FLDigi, or Hamscope, I don't want it. Even PSK31 is too generic plus the Europeans drive you crazy with qsl card requests. Quality & uniqueness of qsos trumps quantity.

What I WANT is a software defined radio like the KX3 or Flex-1500, but they are WAY out of my price range. I just need a good basic rig at a low price that I can interface with for digital modes. Power is not critical although I don't want to be limited to qrp and definitely do not want a kit built in an altoids can. Receiver sensitivity would seem to be paramount. Rigs such as the IC-718 & IC-746 come to mind, but these are still $500 radios used. Any suggestions for a real low cost semi-modern CHEAP rig well suited for digital work?   Thanks!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »

Elecraft K2s can be found relatively inexpensively. They are solid rigs and will suit you for a long time. And if you get the bug to work with 100w again, you can always buy that module. If I was doing what you are doing, the K2 would fit the bill nicely.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »

If you want a modern cheep to run digital on i would recommend having a look at the Icom Ic-7200.
You get allot of radio for your money and the rig is perfect for digimodes because of the USB in the back that combines sound card and CAT.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »

Back when I was doing digital modes, I wanted a dedicated radio, I used an IC-735 for PSK and it was just fine - I cranked the power down to 30 watts or so, plenty for PSK.  You can probably get one of those for $300.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: